6 week old mini lop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhoenixTheMiniLop

Reaction score
Hey guys

I brought home a 6 week old mini lop, shes a female and I've named her Phoenix and she is adorable!! I've never owned a bunny of any sort before so I'm new to all of this but I have done a fair bit of research on the mini lop.

I'm just wondering, she does her little dried pellet poos and she also does a wet poo that is stuck together and quite moist.. is this normal?
I have laid out Oaten Hay out in all of her hutch which she picks at a bit and I've put some Lucerne Hay in there also but haven't offered her much of this, what is the best Hay to feed her?

Other than that she loves her fresh water, grass and her pellet mix that the breeder gave to me.

Also she does this crazy thing where she jumps side to side and runs a round like a crazy bunny then just lays down and stretches her back legs out like shes a bit proud? haha

If anyone could give me a few answers that would be great :) thanks!!!

Everything sounds completely normal. Rabbits make two kinds of poop and end up eating the soft ones for nutrients. Those hay types sounds fine. What kind of pellets is she eating? If they are alfalfa based then that's perfect for a growing rabbit

Enjoy your new baby :)

The running around sounds like a Binky! Which means she is very very happy and excitied! Its really funny to watch them do that. when my bun first stared doing it I thought something was wrong xD and when she spreads out on floor or wherever it also means shes comfortable where she is. :)

Rabbits produce two kinds of poop, the dry round fecal droppings, and grape like clusters called cecotropes. Cecotropes are nutrient packed droppings that rabbits will reconsume directly as they come out. You'll sometimes see your bun reach down to it's bottom and come up munching. That's what this is and it's all normal.
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-digestive-system.asp
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-droppings.asp
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm

Sometimes you will find uneaten cecotropes. In older rabbits this is often a sign of a health/diet problem if it is occurring frequently. In baby rabbits it can be a somewhat normal occurrence due to their short attention spans, and they will be better about eating them as they mature, but it can also mean other things like their diet is too rich. It can also occur when the bun is in a new home and a bit distracted, but will usually clear up after a few days once the bun settles in and is feeling more comfortable and calm.

The problem is when a rabbits diet or health is causing the cecotropes to come out unformed(pasty) or semiformed. This occurs due to the microflora in the cecum being out of balance. This can occur from the stress of a new home, medications, too much sugar and carbs in the diet, and/or not enough fiber. Often you will find them squished into the fur on the rabbits bottom, especially with babies and it will be quite mushy or will have dried in the fur. If this is happening, it's essential to make some diet changes to prevent more serious health problems occurring. Do your buns cecotropes seem normal and well formed or are they sticky or mushy at all? By grass, do you mean fresh grass or just the oat hay?

Yep, your bun is playing. Binky is where they kind of jump and do a body shake or twist. Sometimes you will see little head binkies where they may do a bit of a jump and shake the head. Then there is bunny 500's where they zip around the room, and popcorning where they pop up while in place.

Thank you everyone for all your replies!! :)
I believe she is binkying then! which is nice to know she is happy and comfortable with her surroundings.
And yes she does that when she lays down, puts her two back legs out and her two in front and puts her head down.

Her cecotropes are clumped together which are sticky and can be mushed, is this ok?
I have oaten hay laid out in her hutch for her so she can also eat it and she is always offered fresh grass which she is obsessed with!

I will definitely look that up on Youtube. Thanks heaps!

Also how often should I brush her?I have a soft brush so it doesn't hurt her. I will post a photo of her soon :)

And just one other thing, it looks like she has little lumps of poo or hay stuck under the belly, what would be the easiest way to remove them?

she is just adorable!!

But I have a question for you..
I have a corner litter box with paper based pellets in it and when we got her home yesterday I noticed shes done a wee in there but her poos are everywhere all over the place, I understand this is a process and shes so new and only a baby so I'm not expecting much at this point but I have been putting her poos into her litter box to let her know that is where she is supposed to go...

But we have a problem, she is laying in the litter box quite a lot which is causing clumps of poo to stick to her belly and she isn't keen on letting me get them off with a wet cloth... So how do I keep her from sleeping in the litter box?
And what is an easy way to get those clumps off of her?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :)

She is sooo cute... you have to work with her to get her to pooh in the litter box. Most of my bunnies and I have two mini lops did the same thing, try to sleep in the litter box. I just had to keep removing them. Get the clumps off, what I have used is the baby wipes on mine...

Good luck
Vanessa

Ok thanks heaps for your reply!
Will just be patient and see how she goes and i'll definitely try wet wipes although i have the problem of not being able to get them cause she is only so new to us and she doesnt like to be handled too much.. I'll give it a try though!

Back