50# of oxbow hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missyscove

Christina - Moderator
Reaction score
I'm trying to convince my mom to order #50 of hay from oxbow. She's more into the smaller amounts. Has anyone ordered #50 or #25? How big was the box? (I'm sort of trying to figure out where we might store it.

I haven't ordered that much hay, but I do know that you can buy hay bags to fit whole bales of hay from feed stores. I believe some members on here use them for their hay.

She keeps telling me she doesn't want a whole bale. I'm trying to save us money. I mean, it basically doubles the cost in shpping, but it's still cheaper than getting it from the feed store where we usually get it, when they have it. Today we bought the last of the food and the last of the hay.

That's not big at all, thanks so much. That would definately fit in our garage easily.

Now if I can only convince my mom...

This has nothing to do with the size but I just wanted to ask something. I am confused, I hear all the time about people ordering from Oxbow and I just don't get it. I know that it is excellent hay but when I just now went in to fake placing an order the shipping costs are more than the cost of the hay, it would cost me over 50.00 for 50#. I can get an extremely good bale of hay from my local feed store, that both Lucy and our guinea pig love for well under 10.00. It would cost me a small fortune to keep them both in oxbow hay, I don't get how others do it. I just that really isn't a questions just an observation.

Joy

Yes, many people have access to good quality hay in their area for much cheaper prices (I can get it from a farmer down the road for $1).

For those that don't have access, or don't want to haul hay in their car, hay by mail may be their only choice.

Pam

spoh: Even with the cost of shipping, a bale from Oxbow is more economical than purchasing any company's hay in small bags (trust me, I've done the math with all of them). So, for people who do not have access to a local farmer's hay, it is a definite bargain.

missycove: I have often ordered the 25 lb bale. It fits quite neatly into a 31 gallon Rubbermaid container. I just place the lid loosely on top. A bale that size supplies my 3 rabbits for3-4 months depending on how "hay hungry" they are during that time.

-Mary Ellen

Ive used Kleenmama before (ec recommended it) and I loved it (so did the buns). They have this beautiful bluegrass hay that I mixed with the Timothy. I think 30 pounds was about 40.00 bucks or so and lasted a few months (with 6 bunnies). Definitely expensive for shipping but so worth it if you cant find good local hay and buying bags at the pet store is your only option. The box was pretty small too, I was surprised how well they pack it in there.

Missyscove, what about finding someone else who has a bunny in your area (or at your shelter) and splittinga bale? You can fit about 1/3 of a bale in one of those stretch (flexable) garbage bags. I just got beautiful hay for $3 a bale (I bought 8 bales! lol) and split it up for all my friends. :)

Bunnicula wrote:
spoh: Even with the cost of shipping, a bale from Oxbow is more economical than purchasing any company's hay in small bags (trust me, I've done the math with all of them). So, for people who do not have access to a local farmer's hay, it is a definite bargain.
-Mary Ellen
Yup Yup! Same with pellets.

Bunnicula wrote:

That makes sense, I guess I wasn't thinking that people might not have access. I didn't mean what I said to comes across as nasty, people are always talking about wonderful deals they get from oxbow and I thought maybe I was missingsomething.

Joy

Another option, if you can access a feed store with full bales, is to purchase only half a bale. I know my local feed store will split the bale for you, so you can take only as much as you need. Other places make you buy the whole bale, but you don't have to take it all with you.

Buying a full bale and leaving some behind would still be cheaper than paying for shipping.

I store my hay in big rubber maid bins. I have a smaller one for daily access and one for the rest of the bale. I recently had to move the hay outside as my boyfriend is extremely allergic to hay, so I bought a deck bin. It's like a big rubbermaid bin but it's supposed to be for storing seat cushions or pool toys outside, completely water tight and has been wonderful so far. You can look on rubber maids website to see what kind of bins they have to see if you could find a nice size for your garage: http://www.rubbermaid.com

--Dawn

spoh wrote:
Bunnicula wrote:

That makes sense, I guess I wasn't thinking that people might not have access. I didn't mean what I said to comes across as nasty, people are always talking about wonderful deals they get from oxbow and I thought maybe I was missingsomething.

Joy
Quite understandable!

If any s.e. WI bunn owner knows of great local grown hay,please let me know!! I've got some leads from naturestee already in Sheboygan County. :) Anotherrabbit mom in the network, northern WI, has hay and I'll drive several hours to get it.

You can try the 25# box from a merchant first. See how your kids like it? Then you can decide on a larger size?? Texture may vary due to first cut or second cut timothy. And the amount of chaff in the bottom.

With our rescue and busy schedule,a 50# boxof hay -- guaranteed that the crew will consume to the very last strand -- !,delivered to the doorstep is worth the price paid in shipping. Absolutely.

Occasionally we've gotten hay from a feed mill about 12 miles away or from a different hay supplier. Mouse droppings, lotsa "hitchhikers"or mold are present ... then the hay is not used. Should the hay be too rough or dusty,it is not the best choice for our disabled Karla or dutch boy who is sensitive tocertain kinds. We have ordered from Oxbow and BunnyBale.com. We go through 200 lbs. of hay each month. A mixture of hays. So importantfor their digestive tracts.

Like Pam referred to, this is a good system for us. I wish we livedcloser to a great hay source. The boxes do make great end tables [ credit to JimD ] or platforms for setting down supplies on. Be creative. Think of the big present you can wrap for your mom for Christmas, disguised in a 25-lb. oxbow box. ;) tip it over and you have an instant bunny castle. Tip is sideways against a wall with two door openings, you've got a crawl through tunnel. Some of our kids have a riot chewing new entrance ways in the box.

With BunnyBale.com, they almost grab it out of my hands!! It is very aromatic. They can smell it the moment I'm making refill rounds and have BunnyBale in a sack.

Hope this helps, Julie

BunnyBale comes with box staples. AskBunnyBale.comto securely tape the box edges because box corners may get dented in stacking and routing. Yet their cardboard is hefty already. UPS may have a tendency to test the sturdinessof cardboard.Suggest in the comments box; UPS, place in plastic bag if raining. Bulk qty. BunnyBale hay does not come in a beige inner bag like Oxbow orders. BunnyBale (Pine Hill Farms inCovington, VA) also has compressed bales which are an option. Less messy, peel apart flakes.

Haley wrote:
Ive used Kleenmama before (ec recommended it) and I loved it (so did the buns). They have this beautiful bluegrass hay that I mixed with the Timothy. I think 30 pounds was about 40.00 bucks or so and lasted a few months (with 6 bunnies). Definitely expensive for shipping but so worth it if you cant find good local hay and buying bags at the pet store is your only option. The box was pretty small too, I was surprised how well they pack it in there.

Missyscove, what about finding someone else who has a bunny in your area (or at your shelter) and splittinga bale? You can fit about 1/3 of a bale in one of those stretch (flexable) garbage bags. I just got beautiful hay for $3 a bale (I bought 8 bales! lol) and split it up for all my friends. :)

I do this too, Haley. Our last 4 big bales was offered to or shared with foster guardians or adopters. We have the space in our basement sometimes. Six bunnies seems like a lot (but we've got a few more / wink ). I understand how you value good hay!! When the winter snows come, I will think ahead and stock up.

Smiles, TF Julie

Latest posts

Back