5 week old mini lop bone exposed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adelina Marcu

Reaction score
hi there! we have a new family member, Clara (our mini lop) whom I took to the vet for a regular initial exam a few days after we got her. They found that one of her hind feet (left side) has some exposed bone and two fused toes. They cleaned it up and bandaged her entire foot, and sent us home with antibiotics and painkillers.
Two days before this appointment, I had noticed one of her claws on that same foot was dangling, but when we got to the vet, it seems it had fallen off already. She was acting normal, happy even; I know rabbits hide their pain very well, but Clara seemed very happy and had a great appetite.
The vet really worried me when she said at least one of her (fused)toes needs to be amputated and that the exposed bone could get infected as well. Clara has been doing great since she saw the vet two days ago, and seems to have gotten used to her foot being bandaged. If anyone with more bunny experience is reading, how would you proceed? I feel what the vet suggested is too risky, especially since she would have to sedate Clara. Sorry I have no photos as of now (her foot is bandaged anyway)
Your advice is greatly appreciated!

I guess there is waiting and seeing if the antibiotics keep any infection from starting and seeing if the area heals well enough. But I don't think anyone here can offer too much info. The vet is seeing the actual injury, and really, exposed bone is never a good thing and can't usually just be left to heal on it's own.

Latest posts

Back