4H Club

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunty

Reaction score
The beginning of the school year I was asked to bethe program leader for the Cottontails. I always loved teaching peopleabout buns but I was torn morally about this because I know 4H involvesbreeding and i rescue buns and it was eally a dilema for me. I decideto do it and things went real well. My kids were fairly young and thefirst things the parents wanted to know was why are my buns like theyare and not biting spraying etc and I explained the reason for spay andneutering buns and keeping them as pets. Except for one or two rabbitsall the buns in the club went under the knife. We are doing rabbithopping and obstacle courses and the kids are really enjoying theirpets. We also had a parsley eating contest won by a little Holland lop.He and a grey Flemish were the finalist. We are even having theseneutered buns judge at the 4H events on their care and health notcomformation and it has been a great experience for me. The theory Iused with the group was to teach a child young the joys of having a bunas a friend and pet and how to love a rabbit and down the line Ibelievethey will have more respect and love for the rabbits they breed and theobligations being a breeder hold. I also have some kids now doingvolunteer work for the rescue.The needed to see what overbreeding does to all animals. It was good for all of usexcept for one bun who thinks he should get a treat for walking throughthe jumps not hopping

Awesome!!!! Sounds like you are doing awonderful job! I am a former 4-H advisor (gave up my clubwhen I moved out of state). We promoted education and handedout "Easter & Rabbits Don't Mix" flyers during the weeks beforeEaster. We stressed the responsibility of owning a rabbit andextensive planning and consideration before deciding tobreed. After learning all the facts, many youth opted *not*to breed their rabbit due to the health considerations of their animaland the limited market for sales.

Pam N.

I am also a former 4H leader and i agree withplanned breedings.how ever neutered rabbits may not be shown at thefair or in ARBA shows.bluebird

The age of Kids I have are really not ready yet toshow in breeder shows or fairs. The leader does but someday I hope theywill all be able show if they chose. We are going to do a rabbithopping presentation at the fair this year and they are excited aboutthat.

Hi Bunty,

I thought in 4-H they had to show/breed. That's reallyinteresting. How old are the kids? Thatmight be something I could get into in my area within the 4-H group,but I don't know how it works to be honest. I will have toinvestigate it.

It sounds like you've got just the perfect personality for such agroup. I'm sure they're delighted you're a part of it and thekids enjoy your enthusiasm and participation.

-Carolyn

The majority of kids in our group are 6-9 yearsold. We do have 3 older teens who do the show thing also Also theparents are really involved and stay at the meetings with the kids anddo the rabbit jumps just like the kids. They have variousprojects for the kids to be involved in

Carolyn wrote:
Hi Bunty,

I thought in 4-H they had to show/breed. That's reallyinteresting. How old are the kids? Thatmight be something I could get into in my area within the 4-H group,but I don't know how it works to be honest. I will have toinvestigate it.

It sounds like you've got just the perfect personality for such agroup. I'm sure they're delighted you're a part of it and thekids enjoy your enthusiasm and participation.

-Carolyn
4-H rules vary widely by county. Because ruralareas are shrinking, you will often see areas that focus more on petrabbits and have special "utility" or pet classes for mixed breed oraltered rabbits. Fun classes such as the costume class arealso common.

You can contact your local extension office for more info. on 4-Hprograms in your areahttp://www.ces.ncsu.edu/counties/

National 4-H council http://www.fourhcouncil.edu/

http://www.4-h.org/

Pam

That's what I was lookin for, Pam! Thanks a bunch! :)

-Carolyn

Back