4+ yr old doe possibly pregnant for first litter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grace.e

Reaction score
In the long amount of time I have owned rabbits, the biggest mistake of all has happened.

For context, I have 2 pet rabbits, a female (possible rex, was a rescue) and a male holland lop. I have had the female for 4 years, and believe she was an adult when I got her as she's stayed the same size. So not sure of exactly what her age is. My male Holland Lop, is 8 months of age. He has a split penis and is obviously a good amount smaller than the doe. I made a built in cage for them both, however the slats that I made must have been too far apart for my lop, as I left the house for about an hour and when I came back he was in my females cage. They were sitting in the corner together. We have called vets around to get the female spayed ASAP, but the soonest appointment is 48 days, and obviously that is not soon enough.

Basically, my question is, with a 4 yr old female who has never reproduced, a significantly smaller male, who has a split penis and has never reproduced. What is the probability that she is indeed pregnant? I am obviously extremely concerned about the female, since she is of an older age.

Well, no way to tell for sure but to wait. Her age definitly isn't ideal, but does doing just fine under this circumstances isn't unheard of.

Sorry that your vet situation is as dire, uhm, that's just me ranting from far, far away. My sister works in a vet clinic around Boston though.

Back