4-H

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Encarta says:

4-H or Four-H

noun

Definition:
national youth organization:a national youthorganization sponsored by the Department of Agriculture in rural areas,with programs for young people in home economics, agriculture,community service, and personal development

[Because the aim is to improve the head, heart, hands, and health]

4-H is a non profit organization based on volunteers that help children with leadership, citizenship andlife skills.

There are many projects available for children 8 yrs old AND in the 3rd grade thru their 18th birthday. Projects vary from livestock to photography and public speaking to computer science.

In the cities some schools opt to have 4-H as an after school activity.While other places are very active in4-Hand have actual clubs. Some clubs are guided towards one project(mostly found in livestock projects) while others are general 4-H clubs which guidetowards sewing, public speaking etc.

Thechildren can compete in county judging,state judging and national judging. Some areas have a specialJr.4-H fair while others havethe Jr Fair combined with theactual county fair.

4-H was founded in 1902 in Clark County, Ohio by A.B. Graham.

4-H stands for the "4 H's" - Head, Heart, Hands, Health.

4-H Pledge:

I pledge
My head to clearer thinking
My heart to greater loyalty
My hands to larger service, and
My health to better living
For my club, my community, my country and my world.

4-H motto:
To make the best better.

National 4-H Council
National 4-H Headquarters
4-H USA
New York State 4-H Foundation, Inc.

Any questions... just ask! I was a 4-H member for 7 years and and onemy second year as an advisor. Each state/county varies with their rulesso it will be hard to narrow answers right down to either or.

many 4-h kids raise animals for showmanship, or in some cases to sell as meat.

rabbits are a common choice because you don't need a big barn or stable for them and they can be kept in the house, so many city 4-h kids keep rabbits.

poultry, lambs, cows, horses, cavy, pigs, ect are also examples of common 4-h animals.

most 4-h kids get their fair animal(s) in the spring and raise them for a summer fair.

ilovetegocalderon wrote:
I see. So how does it relate to breedingrabbits? I see it referenced a lot.
Not all 4-H projects are breeding projects. Many youth in urban areas have pet projects.

Some youth start out with pet projects, then become interested in breeding and showing.

Pam

Back