4-H Membership fee

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMALL S RABBITRY

Reaction score
I just got an email and on it it said that There will be a $25 charge for each 4-H member starting the 2011-2012 year what is going on with this when I was a member of 4-H in the 90's there was never a charge for being in 4-H I mean yesit help the kids alot but we are always doing fun raisers for the 4-H progam and other things to help them andI just think it is crazy dont we have to pay enoph for thisI have 2 boys in 4-H and that means I am going to have to pay another $50 a year for them to be in 4-H. Sorry but I think this is crazy.........

When I was a kid we had membership dues. I think they were like $5, but that was longer ago than I would like to admit. Perhaps it is a club to club choice?

Wow, you guys have it lucky! It's for club and member registration, each club has to pay a registration fee.

Here in Alberta, there is a $60 member registration (And this year, it went up to $70 and the club does not get to keep the money, itgoes to the district)and sometimes, clubs want to cover more expenses as well and that leads to some clubs charging upwards $150 registration for the year per member.

If the club is small or you're new members coming in (Sometimes the club fundraises the year before to bring in money and pay for the previous members registration) it makes total sense and if you had an extremely large club, I'm willing to bet those fees would be even higher.

Like I said, you guys are incredibly lucky it's only that.

Explanation: a LOT of 4H programs are absolutely broke. Our county had to start charging fees in order to keep one of the (2?) paid positions, which was rather important. I know $50 is a lot.... But perhaps talk to your club to see if you could do a club fundraiser to pay for the fees?

I know our county also has scholarships and other things to make it easier.

I know that Cornell University is facing state budget cuts which are forcing them to cut extension programs as well. Their first priority is obviously educating their students so when their budget gets cut, they have to cut other things.
I think there's definitely a level of prioritizing going on in all budgets these days and sadly, it's affecting some of the programs we love the most. It's hard to say it's okay to take money from these programs, but it's even harder to suggest where cutbacks should be.

missyscove wrote:
I know that Cornell University is facing state budget cuts which are forcing them to cut extension programs as well. Their first priority is obviously educating their students so when their budget gets cut, they have to cut other things.
I think there's definitely a level of prioritizing going on in all budgets these days and sadly, it's affecting some of the programs we love the most. It's hard to say it's okay to take money from these programs, but it's even harder to suggest where cutbacks should be.
You are right but all the money that comes in from the fair here goes to our 4-H program and this year we had over 700 livestock entries and 1500 home ec entries and then during the action they take 20% off the top for the 4-H program here and all of our belt buckels are sponsored by companies here in our town and so is our ribbions and they make money off the food they sale at the fair and I know that that is proboly is not enoph money.

I am in 4H and our dues (Last year, IDK this year) were $5. I don't know why they would be 25, but the club usually votes on how much they should be.

missmerlin2010 wrote:
I am in 4H and our dues (Last year, IDK this year) were $5. I don't know why they would be 25, but the club usually votes on how much they should be.
It is not our club charging the fee it is a fee just to be in 4-H and our club does not see any of the money from the fees.........

Quick question...
I know here that there are some pretty big scholarship programs every year for the members who have been in the clubs for a fairly long time (I am in my 8th year right now), but do they have that down there?

If so, that would make a lot of sense. Scholarships, when they are a decent amount, cost an awful lot. It is a much easier way to bring in money for the main branch and it does make sense.

Kipcha wrote:
Quick question...
I know here that there are some pretty big scholarship programs every year for the members who have been in the clubs for a fairly long time (I am in my 8th year right now), but do they have that down there?

If so, that would make a lot of sense. Scholarships, when they are a decent amount, cost an awful lot. It is a much easier way to bring in money for the main branch and it does make sense.
At this time they do not have a scholarship fund for that..........Toby

Hmm.. I don't know.. The only cost until now that I remember was for dues and the money from the 4H books. :confused2: Then again, I usually am not the one paying for it..

Hi,
Unfortunately it is going up everywhere. Ours even made the kids pay for their passes that they normally got for free! Funny since without the kids doing ALLL these projects there would be NO fairs. (The kids get a $3 "premimum for showing, sooo it was a way for them to basically have the kids pay themselves their own premimum and make $2 because they don't manage the fairgrounds good enough to make money.)
They seem to think when they are making cuts to programs that 4H is where to cut costs. Then they make the 4H kids pay more money. It is ridiculous. 4H keeps more kids out of trouble and teaches them great skills to have in their lifes.
All of us 4H parents from around the country need to stand together for 4H.
Get people on your fairboards that support 4H and not their own agendas.

countryhorse wrote:
Hi,
Unfortunately it is going up everywhere. Ours even made the kids pay for their passes that they normally got for free! Funny since without the kids doing ALLL these projects there would be NO fairs. (The kids get a $3 "premimum for showing, sooo it was a way for them to basically have the kids pay themselves their own premimum and make $2 because they don't manage the fairgrounds good enough to make money.)
They seem to think when they are making cuts to programs that 4H is where to cut costs. Then they make the 4H kids pay more money. It is ridiculous. 4H keeps more kids out of trouble and teaches them great skills to have in their lifes.
All of us 4H parents from around the country need to stand together for 4H.
Get people on your fairboards that support 4H and not their own agendas.
Thank you somebody finaly gets it and our money goes to the county 4-H and they are not going to help with anything for the kids our shavings are donated by our trus building place where they build house truses so I really dont know what they are doing with the money that they will be getting from us.........TOBY

Scholarships are monies set aside by people or businesses to give to kids who meet their requirements and apply. 4h doesn't pay for those out of money made from the kids or their extention offices.

You know, I can't help but think you guys have no idea how good you guys have it in terms of fees.

A breakdown of our year is

$70 Registration
$30 + in District Activity fees
$50 + Regional Activities

These events are necessary to getting a scholarship or bursary. And even with attending all these events, the scholarships are still extremely competetive and the odds of getting one are slim. So after all that money, sure, you have the experiences but scholarships aren't a guarantee. Not to mention covering the club fees themselves.

That is for the bare minimum, $150, and that is just for club, district and regional fees, per member, and that is without project fees (Including fairs, shows, building projects, etc).

That's around an extra $50 for the rabbit project to cover entrance fees, building, etc.

Let alone since I got into the horse project, where we pay around $30 entry fee for one horse and if you want to go to the big 4-H horse shows, you can expect a $50 stall fee, $30 class fee and of course, feedand other horse essentials aren't included in that.

The fair grounds probably do a lot more for you then you know. They have to cover the passes and if you guys have not been paying fees in the past, I'm assuming they don'thave 4-H Insurance covering you there, so they have to cover the insurance for your event as well.To be honest, I'm surprised you've been getting away with it for that little for that long. I would say they probably aren't even breaking even, let alone "having their own hidden agendas".

Perhaps that money will go towards county events? Getting insurance for the clubs? Starting a scholarship program? Who knows? But I doubt it is pocketed.

countryhorse wrote:
Scholarships are monies set aside by people or businesses to give to kids who meet their requirements and apply. 4h doesn't pay for those out of money made from the kids or their extention offices.

I don't know if the US is different, but the 4-H district pays for the scholarships here and that is made through fees and fundraisers done through district events.

I guess 4-H must work quite different there.

Yes different in USA. Clubs pay for insurance by charging small fee to kids. Small dues per club. If you go to an open show your costs are higher. Horses can run a couple hundred easy depending on distance and classes entered etc. Scholarships here are from businesses and people who may want to start a scholarship to help kids. Anyone can create a scholarship in their name or loved ones name etc. Then they put up the money for it. Yearly or how ever long they deem the scholarship. My daughter is going through all those processes now. Luckily her grades and accomplishments have helped tremendously. It's amazing how different countries work but we can all learn new things. :)

4h here is usually part of agricultural programs through colleges. The colleges run the 4h programs. Not sure how you do it there. And I think everything in Canada is more expensive from what I have heard.

Back