4-H Ideas!?!?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueCamasRabbitry

Reaction score
Ok I am the president of my 4-H Club this year.... and besides me, my friend and my sister, our club doesn't really contribute ideas to the meeting agendas. Basically, the meetings are just boring talk about horses (no offence to horses..) but we need to get down to business....I just can't seem to find anything business-like (about 4-H) to talk about.

Also, we need to somehow encoporate rabbits more into our meetings, etc. Our group has 15 kids....12 horse kids, 3 rabbit kids. So now you can probably see why all they do is talk about horses; even though I and my sister lease horses, etc. it get's pretty boring because we want to talk about bunnies.

So, basically, I'm asking...what do you all (with 4-H experience, etc.) talk about at meetings? What are some "business" type things you talk about? Like fundraisers, community services, how to get ready for fairs; what do you talk about in all those topics?

I'm really focusing on getting our club ready for fair, but all they want to do is have some sort of crazy fun (Not my sister or friend) but if it continues to happen I will resign...which I really don't want to have to do, but my 4-h leader just p!sses me off so much.

So, advice, ideas!? Write them down! Everything is greatly appreciated to make our club better.

Oh, and yes, we have talked to our leader, she just doesn't get it.

Also.....Is your 4-H club name just one big name and is everyone one big group? Or, do you have one large name with seperate branches, and based on the animal, everyone's split into groups?

Thanks!
Emily

I hate to say this.. but the way 4-H is here, your in 4-H because you elect to be, to make a conscious effort to come to a meeting, whereas with FFA, it something you get stuck in at school.. your there already.. so it's *just another class*

With that being said, we are more or less family..and we are run by a Grandmother/Grandfather of 4 of our kids. Actually, they were my 4-H leaders when I was in school, except I was showing with their kids. It's not a dictatorship where they try to bend us to their will. But we all also try to listen to each member has to say. We also don't threaten resignation because people arn't doing as Granny Hester says.

My son shows steers, rabbits, turkeys, broilers and market swine. He is also in the Gun Club, where they do target shooting. One of our members is on the US team for the upcoming Olympics. But he also sits and listens to the kids that show goats,lambs and the like. We also sit through the kids that work in the food and textiles portion. It's called being a team.

My son is also an officer.. they all try to be as approachable and affable to all kids, so they won't feel like outsiders, and not only include them, but draw them into the discussions.

Perhaps if you made up some literature about the pros and cons about being a *Rabbit person* with some facts about rabbits in general.. a handout for the meeting, you might garner more interest in your topic.

We are all under the Mighty Pirate 4-H.. we just each have a *banner* with our chosen animal, in Pirate attire.. to hang over our show areas..we don;t section ourselves off.. thats just asking for dissension.

Have you tried the interactive 4-H website? They had some tips and suggestions for meetings.. as in games, disscussions and what have you..

http://www.4husa.org/

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]I pledge my HEAD to clearer thinking..

[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]...my HEART to greater loyalty..

[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]...my HANDS to larger service...

[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]...and my HEALTH to better living for my club, my community, my country and my world.

[/font]
moz-screenshot-4.jpg
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [/font][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]To make the best BETTER.

Mighty Pirate 4-H:Up From The Foam And Bad To The Bone!!
[/font]
moz-screenshot-5.jpg

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][/font]

Thanks GBTC;

Yes everyone in our club listens to what others say, but there's not enough rabbit talk. mostly, everything's about horses. I guess I didn't put that right.

Yeah, the "Sectioning ourselves off" thing is going to lead to dissension (Disagreement) and it already has. Of course, our club believes in "majority rules" which, as a team, that's not how it works.

Basically, our leader didn't do enough research before she started a club...she keeps saying she wants more rabbit kids, then she goes and pulls in 2 new horse kids; I'm glad she's letting everyone who wants to join, join; but we need to get more bunny kids. She doesn't understand

As for the resignation of the officer position, I was only thinking about that, because I can't deal with my 4-H leader....she expects me to know everything about everything, which I don't, and it's about 4-H business, like stuff she should know.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, our club doesn't act like much of a team. Our leader, suggested the name additions, seperate little groups, etc. because she felt that the horse kids weren't focusing enough on horses.....which totally doesn't make sense.

Any more questions? Advice? Tips?

Emily

My club is actually rabbit focused, so in that regard it's pretty easy to stick to that subject. I think I'm up to a dozen kids now (seems to change all the time)...I know all of them from showing ARBA, so that's made things alot easier. Our club is pretty layed back...we are currently starting on agility and hope to do a demo at our county and possibly state fair this year...time will tell on that one.

Alot of the kids do other projects as well, one does alot of photography, another one this year is gonna do dogs, cats and possibly goats, we will help her as needed and we go along, but the main focus is still the rabbits.

Club has one name, kids came up w/ a combination of their ideas: Haresterical Hare Raisers...LOL!

Sorry I don't have much advice, I wasn't in 4h as a kid and am fairly new myself, am just happy we made it thru the fair aswell as we did last year.....but being rabbit focused does make my life a lil easier!

Back