3rd Eyelid

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alek

Reaction score
I've noticed these past couple of days that Tiberius 3rd eyelid has been visible sometimes. His eyes aren't weepy or dirty and they appear clear. He isn't acting any differently either. I asked a couple vets and they don't think it's anything but maybe some slight irritation but said I could bring him in. I don't have $200 to take my rabbit to the vet right now only to find out it's dry eyes or to pay $50 for saline drops I already have (I've had to cut out some of my own meds this month so non-emergency expenses aren't in the budget).
If you guys have any information about the 3rd eye lid not closing completely sometimes let me know. If you guys think it might be some irritation and maybe some home remedies I can get to prevent furthering the problem.

(P.S. I know rabbits need vet care but I can't do it right now as I don't even have the money to pay for all my medication and I just had to take my service dog to the vet so simply writing me 'take your rabbit to the vet' isn't helpful or a financial option at the moment. )

Are you able to provide a good clear macro photo of his eye?
You can always use normal saline 0.9% a few times a day to releive irritation but a picture would help give some people an idea about whats actually happening.

Watermelons wrote:
Are you able to provide a good clear macro photo of his eye?
You can always use normal saline 0.9% a few times a day to releive irritation but a picture would help give some people an idea about whats actually happening.

I will do the saline so I can keep the membrane clean if it's out so it doesn't become infected. I started wiping his face and eyes with a clean washcloth as well.

third_2.jpg

Although this picture is not my rabbit (don't have a camera) this is what it looks like. It has the habit lately of going over half of his eye. The eyes, lids and membrane look clear and healthy but it's unusual for the memebrane to cover his eye like that. I checked his jaw for lumps, I examined the inside of his mouth for abscess and his teeth look fine so I doubt it's a major infection or tumor.
I think the vet it right that it's an irritation of the membrane but I just want to make sure and to also ensure that nothing does happen. He's been eating fine and drinking normally. He is slightly grouchy with me but he might just be in one of his moods since my mom is on vacation.

...continued assistance is welcome

Isn't this the same rabbit in this medi-rabbit picture describing this 3rd eye lid as normal?
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Differential/Nictitating.htm

I agree that if it didn't look like this previously that one is smart to wonder why it looks like this now... : I don't know; but I doubt if this is anything serious.

Ihad a rabbit whose 3rd eyelid at times became visible to me but it was not a problem or health issue.
i would just keep an eye (sorry for this sad old pun) on it

angieluv wrote:
Isn't this the same rabbit in this medi-rabbit picture describing this  3rd eye lid as normal?
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Differential/Nictitating.htm

I agree that if it didn't  look like this previously that one is smart to wonder why it looks like this now... : I don't know; but I doubt if this is anything serious.

Yes, it's from that site since I was doing some research. My worry was that it's exposed- as opposed to before when I never saw it. I'm keeping a close eye on it as well as his attitude to make note if he seems ill. The only animal in our house who has had lid problems was our small dog and it was due to an abscess in the jaw. The only difference I've seen with my bun is he's slightly more aloof but he might just be in a bad mood like he gets sometimes.

Back