3 year old bun. no companion and doesn't eat hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My lion head little buck came from a family that got him as a baby for a little girl on Easter. His coat is shiny , he eats lettuce, carrots,and other veggies, but he just won't eat hay hardly. When he does it's in little spirts. I've tried hay with mixins,Timothy hey,and vegright which is a soft sweet hay.but he just doesn't eat ss much as he should. Now he is three years old and he has never had a companion. He is not fixed. Iwant to get him fixed soon though. Question is,has he spent so much time without another bun that it would be a bad idea? Is he okay on his lonesome with human companionship? Or do you think it would be a good idea to get a new baby bun so that he could maybe take on a fatherly role? All suggestions welcome. Thanks :)

Last edited:
As far as the companion goes, I would say just see how he reacts after he's fixed. Some buns do really well with a companion, some do not. It all depends on them :) I do not think a baby bun would be a good idea though, I would say if you are going to do it, do it with a spayed doe. That way they don't need to be seperated after a surgery and possibly break the bond. The doe may also change personality after puberty and they may fight.

As far as diet goes, what exactly is the rabbit eating? Is it only veggies?

I measure out his pellets as directed on the bag. (Although sometime I give into that little fluffy face and give a little extra half scoop)

Good News! I gave him fresh grass, and he has adapted to eating hay now! He still isn't eating as much as he should but It's a pretty good amount. (About half his body size a day)

Fresh grass is such a good step between hay and veggies--Aria loved hay but wouldn't touch vegetables when I first adopted her. Wheatgrass was her first fresh food!

Latest posts

Back