3 way bonding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have two adult bunnies that turned out to be male/female (not both female as were told) and resulted in babies. Obviously, the male is now neutured and for the last 7 weeks, mom and the babies have shared an enclosure while dad has a cage to himself.

Over the last three weeks (we waited 4 weeks post surgery), we have let the male and female roam together again and they seem to be fine with each other. They seem to have bonded.
14980_301448_210000004.jpg

We have decide to keep one of the babies (a doe) and are wondering how we go about adding her to the bond. Is it safe to assume that mom and baby are bonded? Cuddles has been a very attentive and affectionate momma and as long as the babies are not trying to nurse (she's about done with that now, I think), she seems fine with any or all of them being around. She grooms them and cuddles up with them.

Do we introduce the baby to the buck alone or all three of them at once?
Do we take all the babies away from the mom and let her and the male share a cage/enclosure for a while and then introduce the baby doe?

So many questions, sorry about that. Sugar and Cuddles bonded so quickly and easily that we really are not sure how to go about this.

Thanks!

Introducing a baby to an adult, male or female, is generally the easiest bond. I think dad should be fine with baby. What I would be concerned about is the future bond between mom and baby. Once the baby reaches the 3-4 month age, she will become hormonal and the females will almost certainly turn on each other. If you plan on keeping a baby, mom should be spayed before baby gets too old. Even then, it may be a challange to rebond them, as two females can be the hardest to bond. But I'm sure that with all bunnies spayed/neutered, and a lot of patience on your part, you can make this bond work!

Latest posts

Back