3 Max Factors in one litter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabine

Reaction score
A friend of mine recently had to have 3 baby bunnies put to sleep as all three of them showed extreme deformities. All their hind legs were twisted inwards an one of them had flipper like outward twisted front legs. She only noticed that something was wrong with them at around 2 weeks when they came out of the nest. My friend also said two of them had trouble opening one eye.
The buck she used came from my rabbitry. He had produced Max factors only with one particular doe and there used to be just one in the nest that had the tell tale signs of the open eyes.
My friend did not check the babies until they were a few days old as she was unaware of Max factors. She never noticed any open eyes but did think they had problems with their eyes when they were a couple of weeks old. Although it appeared they had trouble opening them.
Is there any other explanation than Max factor? Although I am sure it is possible how likely is it to have three and also with no open eyes. Could these deformities be due to an infection or deficiency? I would really appreciate some opinions on this. Thanks!

There are thousands of possible congenital birth defects (hereditary as well as environmental) and this case may or may not be max factor. Max factor is recessive, so both rabbits must be carriers to produce the deformed kits.

The doe has never produced Max Factors before but the reason for that could of course be the other buck not carrying it. She does not want to repeat the breeding which is understandable. I also wondercould the lack of natural sun light cause such a defect in newborns?

Considering these are netherlands, and the fact that the buck is already proven to carry the gene, points to MF for these guys. MF can include, but not limited to: twisted limbs, extra joints, extra toes, open eyes, pinhole openings to the eyes, an odd tail (not sure how to describe it, only seen it once), and a few other things.

Generally MF eyes are open, however I've had a few cases of pinhole openings or I think even one or two with no openings.

If unseen within the first day, the eyes will close with a crust and you won't be able to see that they were open at all unless you knew the tinnnnny differences to look for. I know this because we've been trying to get one to grow up enough to use it as a research project for 4H.

That is very interesting. I was wondering how the open eye progresses if the rabbit is left to develop. I have noticed though that after a day or so they don't appear as ghostly red and alien like and maybe after a few days if you are not sure what you are looking for maybe you would not have noticed.
I wish I had warned my friend before but I somehow assumed her doe would not carry it as I thought she was not from show breeding stock. But I guess I was wrong!

P.S. I gave my friend a new buck as a present who I know has very little Max Factor in his background. I do hope the same is not going to happen as she was so excited about the babies:(

Back