2Qs on diet: Calcium and alfalfa pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philososaurus

Reaction score
Maybe I should post these separately. Help with either or both is greatly appreciated:

1) I was chatting with a friend the other day and she said that one of the issues she had with her rabbit (male, now 11) was that she kept feeding him kale after age 3 and he ended up getting huge calcium build ups.

Yoshi (F, Norwegian dwarf) is nearing age 3 (I adopted her at 1ish and I've had her for about 1.5ish so it's sort of hard to say) and kale is her FAVORITE (mine too!). Should I stop feeding her this? Is this true? Is it a male rabbit thing?

2) Same person also told me to make sure (and I'm trying to remember this one, I should have written it down!) her pellets are NOT alfalfa based and that her hay is timothy (which is already true) after about age 3ish as well. I thought alfalfa pellets were the best?! =/

Alfalfa pellets are best for young growing bunnies and breeding does. Adult rabbits need a pellet which is high in fiber and low in protein, but not too low. I am not sure what the ratio is fiber to protein. But a good pellet high in fiber is the best.

Rabbits do need calcium, but they don't need huge amounts of it.

How often do you feed Yoshi kale?

Do you have any brand recommendations for pellet food? Currently I do Oxbow, and love them.

I eat kale every other day, and Yoshi may get a leaf or two then, but I keep it pretty sporadic. She loves it so!

As she gets older should I just make it more and more sporadic?

I would do it more and more sporadically if Yoshi starts having problems with it.

I hear that Oxbow is a good pellet. Very high in fiber. There are members who feed their rabbits Oxbow.

Do you feed any other kinds of veggies? A variety is very good for bunnies.

Oh most definitely. She gets a tons of different veggies. Less a little recently. I've had to rely on bodeggas for her veggies since I haven't ordered substantial veggies yet for me.

How would I know if she is having calcium problems? Eek. There aren't any problems yet and I'm already nervous!

Well I have read on hear about calcium related issues, like bladder sludge. I think that in the library on here there is a thread about bladder sludge and its symptoms. I would read up on rabbit health that way you can recognize any issue with your rabbit.

Latest posts

Back