2nd litter of dutch with a unknow color to me, what color is this one

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djluster

Reaction score
This is my second litter born today and I got 4 black and one I am not sure of the color, It is just day one and I am sure in a few days I will be able to tell more, I am not sure if it may be a tort or if maybe chocolate or something else. any would be apprecated. The doe does have chocolate 3 generation back so that why I thought maybe chocolate, but I am still new to dutch's. i just know it doesnt look black or blue.

lotusday1-1.jpg

lotusday1-2.jpg

That is so cool how the skin is black. I was looking at my b/w mini lop and his skin is pink even under his black spots, which really surprised me.

Ya I really like how they look from day one, and they only get cuter as they get older. I have 6 nicely mark Dutch it will be hard in a few months to figure out who to add to my herd and who to sell, I will defently need help from and experienced Dutch breeder to help me type all of them with me. I will know alot in 10 weeks. Lol. I also heard from one of the main breeders I got my stock from not this for but the other 3 I have and she agreed that it looks like a tort to her as well. Thank you everyone for your help with the color and nice comments

djluster wrote:
Ya I really like how they look from day one, and they only get cuter as they get older. I have 6 nicely mark Dutch it will be hard in a few months to figure out who to add to my herd and who to sell, I will defently need help from and experienced Dutch breeder to help me type all of them with me. I will know alot in 10 weeks. Lol. I also heard from one of the main breeders I got my stock from not this for but the other 3 I have and she agreed that it looks like a tort to her as well. Thank you everyone for your help with the color and nice comments

Dutch and Harlequins are the EASIEST breeds. You know from birth who to keep and who not to get attached to. You know what dutch markings are suppose to look like, so pay attention to the babies closest to that, and not so much the others. Then after they're a little older even at weaning, since body type plays a bit of role with dutch, pretty easy to pick out what is bad.

the part that is going to be hard is I was told that don't always look for perfect marking but look more for type because type plays a big part and the marking will come, I know this deals mostly with brood does and some with bucks. I do understand that if they are badly marked then I will know right away they are not staying in the herd. they say tpye over marking most of the time since markings are not genetic but type does get pasted down. But yes dutch's are easy and they are cute at birth and all my dutch's are very sweet.

djluster wrote:
they say tpye over marking most of the time since markings are not genetic but type does get pasted down.

Im not sure if this was just luck of the draw but i have a good dutch friend and he bred two of his really nicely marked and well pedigreed bunnies and got all but one mismarked animal out of 5 or 6. The rest were all nicely marked and showable. Is it really true that markings aren't genetic?
(seeing as how brokens like percent charlies, and sports are genetically determined by what the parents were?) if that makes any sense? or maybe im thinking too much lol

Well when talking about marking flaw I am talking minor flaws and nit more then a couple of those a very bad marked Dutch I would not use it but a minor flaw yes. Sure type is only 25 points verses the 50 points for markings but alot of times the well typed Dutch will beat out the perfect market one

woahlookitsme wrote:
djluster wrote:
they say tpye over marking most of the time since markings are not genetic but type does get pasted down.

Im not sure if this was just luck of the draw but i have a good dutch friend and he bred two of his really nicely marked and well pedigreed bunnies and got all but one mismarked animal out of 5 or 6. The rest were all nicely marked and showable. Is it really true that markings aren't genetic?
(seeing as how brokens like percent charlies, and sports are genetically determined by what the parents were?) if that makes any sense? or maybe im thinking too much lol

I dunno how to answer in this thread without getting in trouble....but I'm goingto try... and going with woahlookitsme, and color be with genetics. Since they are a marked breed like harlies, culling is cruital. And I'd start at birth and more so with the dutch wouldn't bother to keep an incorrectly marked dutch in my barn. Thats how I did it before. If its not marked good its gone, and then nitpick and decide on body type with the marked kits. and get rid of bad body type from there on.

But every breeder is different and if another way is working for you, that is ALL that matters!

I have been really luck so far. I have 6 new kits from both my litters. 1 from the first and 5 from the 2nd. All of mine so far have had good markings. And ya I know what you mean about the culling but we will not get into that on this topic.

I just took some new pictures of this litter, My first litter he is growing so fast, he grows alot every couple days, But back to this litter. I took a picture of the 5 and the tort you can really tell he is a tort now.One of the little black ones I have to watch the next few day he might have white on the tip of his ears. he might be going to a pet home
I had to include the first one, his/her name is bullet
LW1week2-1.jpg

now here is the 5 babies
lotusday5-1.jpg

lotusday5-2.jpg

I just had to make a comment...Your Dutch are really nicely marked and are just beautiful! When we first started raising rabbits ummm... 9 years ago now..we had several breeds before we decide to only specialize in Californians... and Dutch was one of the breeds. I loved having them they are such a beautiful breed and ours were also all very sweet! One of the things I enjoyed the most was having litters born because it was always a suprise on what color and how many different colors you would get within the same litter....that was fun and exciting to me! I love my californians but no suprises in the nest box's they all look alike....except for the occasional frosted ones! Keep up the good work...your rabbits are beautifully marked!

Latest posts

Back