2nd & 3rd Bunnies Making Nests Today...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather-M

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My female lops are mother and daughter and it looks like daughter is making a nest, Mom was ok with daughter in the hutch when she had her last litter.

But now I think they are both pregnant, would the daughter let her mom build/share the nest in the same part of the hutch? the only other area would be where they eliminate in.

Btw these dont have a nest box either bt ill fix one up asap.

And theres another rabbit (not nest building yet) that lives in a hutch with a guinea pig would the gp be ok to stay in there if she was to have babies?

Thanks Heather

Do you have room to move some of them to another area? Each mama needs her own space.

Are they indoors or out?

They really need nest boxes, too. You can move the nest they've already made into a box, just make sure the moms can get in and out easily.

Do you know when they were bred?

Hopefully a breeder will come along and offerbetter advice than I can. We've never had a litter here.

Personaly I would separate mom and daughter, my does get a little funny when they have babies. Same with the one with the piggy. I woulkd hate to see one of your does fight with the other or the little piggy. For a nest box, I use cardboard boxes, no roof and I cut one end down to make it easier for the doe to get in and out.

I think I would separate mom and daughter too.....they can each get territorial over their "own space" for their babies.

Peg

Hi And Thanks For Getting Back To Me :)

I dont have any spare hutches for them, I might have to see what I can do now though.

They are outdoors, and I have cut out card board boxes into the shape of a proper nest boxes but I might have to cut off the top as well to allow for them to jmp in and out easy.

There was 2 times the male escaped about 2 weeks ago and then about 3 days ago, but the rabbits making nests may have got pregnant 2 weeks ago.

Heather

If it has only been two weeks - then there is apossibility they are nesting as part of a "false pregnancy".Does normally kindle on day 31 although they can have their babies asearly as day 28 or as late as day 34.

I'd give them the nestboxes around day 28 if they're still acting pregnant!

Peg

Hi Peg,

Well given the fact that my 4 female buns were in a run with a male and there acting pregnant chnaces are that they are i think :?

Not sure but ill use your advice thanks :)

Heather

Heather,

I have had does have litters in the same cage without probs but when you leave the does together you always run the risk of one getting territorial and killing the others kits. I have never heard of a rabbit having kits with a G Pig in the cage so sorry can't help you there.

- Chantel

So I'll take the Gp out when and if she does have babies. And its ok for mother and daghter to share the hutch? Mom did have kits with her daughter in the hutch before and didnt seem to mind.

Heather

I would separate them too, especially since this will be the daughter's first litter, she will be nervous. One thing I wanted to mention-you said you are using cardboard for their nests?That won't be able to take the abuse, so to speak. The babies will peein it, mom will chew it, etc., and it needs to last for at least three weeks. You can get metal or wood nest boxes fairly cheaply from rabbit supply companies, or they are pretty easy to make.

I will have to see ifI can make some/buy some then, Carnt you use something other than making them or buying them?

Heather

P.s- I'm not horrible that I wont get my buns nest boxes, its jst they have never had them, and being 15 i have not got the money myself, and we are sorta having money troubles too (Details on a previos post).

Latest posts

Back