24x24 cage for dutch??!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicolevins

Reaction score
On a dutch show website it said this:

[align=left]Housing:[/align] [align=left]All rabbits require a well ventilated area to help prevent disease (i.e. pasturella). Dutch are a relatively small breed and don't require a very large cage, usually 24"x24" is a good sized cage.[/align]
I have posted a topic about my hutch which is 4 x 2 ft and people were saying it should be much much bigger. The width of my hutch is 45" and people were saying this was small.

Is this website giving out false info. saying that 24"x24" is a good sized cage?

The info I gave was based on the RWA and what they said.

Pet animals and show animals are kept in very different accommodations, for a variety of reasons. I believe someone over here is trying to get that changed.

Given yours are pets, the general rule is, the bigger the better.

I agree with Flashy. 24"x24" is too small for a pet, in my opinion. I have heard 4'x2' as a minimum recommendation for pet rabbits, though bigger is always better.

I use 24"x24" for my Hollands, and there is plenty of room for them and even a litterbox/nestbox, depending on the rabbit. Dutch are a little larger, I believe like 5-7 lbs., if I'm remembering right. So based on how I keep my rabbits, I'd probably go 24"x30" for them. But 24"x24" would be fine if they didn't have "extras" in the cage. :)

Latest posts

Back