2011 Texan Tales & Tails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aaaww...why were you considering not sharing this one, Peg? It's adorable!

You have the most beautiful bunnies, I swear. (And there's something about Adam...it's in his face...personality plus. He looks like an old soul, very gentle.)

Oh Adam sure has you fooled - he just bit my finger....reached through the cage to NIP me while I was looking at another bunny - so he could get me to pet him.

He's a brat....I can't trust him at all - he'll pull my clothes into his cage if he can so I'll pay attention to him.

Mind you - this is the same buck who hid in the back corner of his cage whenever a person walked by.

Its amazing the magic that fruit loops can do....

TinysMom wrote:
The floor was really messy and Nyx is in a bad molt...

hey...rabbits get floors messy...and they molt. That's what they do! :p

Anybody who wants to criticize: They can come and help you for a day and see what's what! (And maybe you will tell them to stand really close to Adam's cage so they can get a "gentle" love nip. :biggrin2: )

The floor was really messy and Nyx is in a bad molt...

lol...I hadn't even noticed! You should see my house sometimes, Peg. Especially the rabbits' room...Anna's pretty tidy (or used to be), but Yofi is the ultimate bunny slob! Bunny balls everywhere in the cage, and scattered here and there over the floor; hay that gets strewn about with the precision of a rabbit on a mission - always done 5 minutes after I've refilled their hay bin; and hair, hair, hair, hair, hair! I've taken pictures of them in that room that I wouldn't dare post in the blog (although I'm sure no one would care about the mess). Even in pics that I've taken after doing some cleaning, the person looking can't really see all of the Kaya/Yofi/Anna hair accumulation that remains. Honestly, one of the reasons I tend to be more of a *keep to myself* person is partly because I get so embarrassed about my house; can't remember the last time I ever invited anyone over. (Don't get me started on my kitchen...I hate doing dishes (pots and pans the most) with a passion.)

I'm glad you did post that photo...always love a great bunny-ear hug shot! ;)

Oh Adam sure has you fooled - he just bit my finger....reached through the cage to NIP me while I was looking at another bunny - so he could get me to pet him.

He's a brat....I can't trust him at all - he'll pull my clothes into his cage if he can so I'll pay attention to him.

Mind you - this is the same buck who hid in the back corner of his cage whenever a person walked by.

Its amazing the magic that fruit loops can do....

Well, he has the face of an angel, I think. He's a very handsome little dude! And of course, those are the ones who can get away with the most, too. Certainly sounds like he has that personality plus (with a +++!). Yofi nipped me too the other night...he was absolutely p@#%'ed over having his abscess cleaned repeatedly, and his temper finally got to him. It really wasn't more than a nip, but because it was on a very sensitive area of skin, and because I was wearing just a light shirt, it HURT!

Fruit loops and craisins...bribery of the Bunnay Gods. :biggrin:

This is soooo bad. I was working so hard on socializing Adam so that he could be rehomed...and now - I just don't think I can let him go. Every time I think about it - I tear up and almost cry.

He doesn't get much "out" time - but his cage has a shelf and he can jump up and down and he gets a lot of exercise cause everytime I go in the rabbitry he jumps all around to get my attention....not including the times he sneaks over and grabs my clothes.

Also - after trying to have Thunder feed her babies again - it looks like I may just have to give up and formula feed them.

For those who are wondering...picture 7 "Dukeys".....you know - totally spoiled rotten babies! Right now we're at the 1 cc syringe stage - where they're getting 4-5 cc twice per day. Next stage is the 3 cc syringe stage...then eventually - THE BOTTLE!

So far - all 7 are alive and healthy and one of them (Robin calls it Brownie - its the only one w/ white on it) - is a boy. Actually - another one is a boy too but its hard to tell from the others.

I guess that is it so far - I haven't done any photos today yet...

IMG_0390.jpg

I think this is a very cute picture. What floor? I hope that Thunder will get to nursing those cute baby's.

Just fed the babies again a few minutes ago. They've gone from 3 or 4 cc per feeding to 6 or 7 cc already. I think two had 7 cc and the rest had 6 cc - something like that.

They're so cute....four of them are great at eating - three of them haven't yet mastered syringe eating and wear about the same amount of food as they take in.

One of the black ones has a big "buck head" for the flemish...but long ears too. Sooo funny.

Well - off to bed again. Right now the babies eat twice a day - and I realized I'm going to have to take them to Seguin with me this next weekend if I still go the night before the show.

Today I moved Ske-Doosh into the rabbitry - beside CJ.

[align=center]
IMG_0481.jpg

Mom....you gave me a non-flemish neighbor???[/align][align=center]
IMG_0477.jpg

He does smell....like he's willing to make me happy. I am ok with that![/align][align=center]
IMG_0469.jpg

Now I have to chin a new cage....[/align][align=center]
IMG_0460.jpg

Whaddya mean my ears aren't big enough to be an "honorary flemish"?[/align][align=center]
IMG_0450.jpg

Well I don't care - I like my ears...
IMG_0449.jpg
[/align][align=center]Mom...I'm not REALLY upset at you...[/align][align=center]
IMG_0448.jpg

She's CUTE!!!
IMG_0435.jpg

But I'm cuter...I'm a flirt!
IMG_0433.jpg

This doesn't smell like my old cage...
[/align][align=center]
[/align]

Well - I went online to preorder my supplies from BunnyRabbit.com so I can pick them up in Seguin next weekend - and I couldn't resist adding some toys for the bunnies.

I ordered four of the mobiles and five of the balls...

sp62004-mobile.jpg

wa03041fiberBall.jpg

I'm thinking that Athena and Harmony will definitely get the mobiles...not sure yet who else....(they're $5 each and I'm considering picking up more than just the four)....and the balls....I don't know yet.

Normally I use "free" stuff for my bunnies - empty oatmeal containers, toilet paper rolls - etc. So we'll see how the non-free stuff goes over.

Hello every bun...and humans. I know I haven't updated much but I've been very very VERY tired and grumpy lately - and busy with matron duties.

For instance - tonight I had to impose some discipline on a gal. Unlike humans - I don't spank when those in my charge disobey...but I do have to show them the error of their ways. Some matrons will chase and nip a doe. I don't find that nearly as effective as my method...which I'm about to show you.

First of all - Belle Starr was chasing and nipping at Thunder and we believe she was criticizing her for not taking care of her babies.

Now - it is NOT Belle Starr's place to deal with that situation - it is MY place and breeder mom's place. Breeder Mom decided to go ahead and formula feed the babies....so the matter has been dealt with (somewhat - I did chase Thunder for a bit and talk to her about her actions - but the stubborn brat wouldn't listen to me. Sometimes she is so much like her dad Mercury!)

Anyway - I had to show Belle Starr the error of her ways...

Here is what I did...

[align=center]
IMG_0576.jpg

[/align][align=left]Now it is frequently customary to have a "witness" to the discipline....so I brought Thunder in for that...

[/align][align=center]
IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

[/align][align=left]As you can probably tell from the look on my face - this is not one of the duties that I enjoy a lot. After all - I'm tired and grumpy and having to take time out of my day to teach a doe a lesson just made me even MORE grumpy.

I laid on her for probably 10 or 15 minutes and waited for her to apologize to Thunder. Once she and Thunder started grooming each other, I stayed on her for another couple of minutes and then moved away.

Belle Starr is now grooming the other girls in the herd and apologizing to them for her behavior that they observed and telling them that it isn't her place to judge another doe.

I also told the does that I would do the same thing to Thunder even though she is my daughter....that I do NOT play favorites.

Do you see why sometimes this doe can get grumpy???

Now I'm sure you want to know more about my grandbunnies - right?

Well - breeder mom took about 60 pictures to try and get something good (ha ha) but only came up with a few good shots.

Here they are:

[/align][align=center]
IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

[/align][align=left]They look really wrinkly in the photos but they're healthier than that - it was just between feedings...[/align][align=left]
[/align][align=left]I guess that is all of an update for now - I really need a nap....and more food to eat.[/align][align=left]
[/align][align=left]
[/align]

I am the only person I know of who can take three foster babies back to the feed store - and wind upcoming home with SIX adults and two newborns....

Details to come later...

TinysMom wrote:
I am the only person I know of who can take three foster babies back to the feed store - and wind upcoming home with SIX adults and two newborns....

Details to come later...
So here is the story...

I walk into the feed store with the bunnies in a carrier and Justin goes, "Hey Mrs. Flint...more bunnies? We're overwhelmed right now..."

I tell him I'll go look - and sure enough - there are 6 adult rabbits crammed into some of the cages. Four of them are in one cage - all Californians. Two are does...very very very ready to breed. Two are...BUCKS. I'm guessing the bucks are most likely their brothers based upon the tattoos in their ear.

In the other cage there is a big New Zealand doe - and a smaller red eyed white "baby"....probably 8 weeks old- and then in a temporary holding cage - there is another New Zealand doe.

Great.

In addition - he walks out to me with a small box....with a newborn baby in it. He explains that they found one dead in the cage and this one still alive (when they came in that morning) and he has no idea what to do with it.

In my mind I'm thinking, "Woo hoo - foster doe for the flemish giants - I'll bring home the mama".

Good idea- but mama never pulled fur and I'm having a hard time handling them. We can't tell for sure WHO the mama is.

So I think about it and pray about it and explain to Justin that he probably is going to have two pregnant Californian does on his hands. He asks how long gestation is and when I say 31 days he almost tears up. You can see in his eyes an "oh my God...what am I gonna do?" type of thing.

He's like, "You're a breeder - can you take the rabbits? Any of them? ALL of them??"

I finally decide that I will take the adults since I'm going to Seguin this weekend - and I will try to rehome the Cali bucks and the two New Zealand does. I'll also keep the two Cali does to see if they're pregnant (one is honking so I think she is) and then bring back the babies at 8 weeks if they have any babies.

I also have Robin look around for any more babies - and sure enough - she finds one more live one under the shelving unit beside the cage. So we now have two baby bunnies - 2 possibly pregnant Cali does - 2 Cali bucks...and 2 New Zealand does.

My heart is just struggling with this. I can rehome the two Cali bucks easily - no real attachment there....I already have Dallas and Austin....my two Cali bucks.

But the New Zealand does and the two Cali does are so pretty....

I need to slap myself (actually - Alicia is good at doing that for me).

I will probably show at last four - or possibly all six of the rabbits at Seguin...it will cost me $36 for the double shows - but if they place well - it may help them find a home.

I will NOT let them go to a commercial breeder. I don't mind someone who breeds meat pens for the shows and then rehomes them as pets.

I'm just sorta feeling overwhelmed right now. I've had to rearrange cages and bunnies and I'm not thrilled with the cage size for a couple of them.

But I tell myself that it is only for a few days....and then they'll have homes of their own.

Oh - and my original fosters - went back!

Aren't y'all proud of me for that?

Please????

Latest posts

Back