2 healthy babies...1 deformed baby

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bramble rose is right he is not a bad bred nethie he just doesnt show the dwarfin gene I have had a few of those.

regarding the eye give it a gentle soak with tepid water and check to see if it is sealed underneath.

I just want to add the reason it has made me think max factor is because I went through a spell of having a couple of litters with problems just the same. as has my friend.
I hope it isnt it was just the shape of the eye in the pictures that led me to think that it could be

i went with my roomie yesterday to put down the little white bunny, it was hard to watch...i just held her and she just slipped away. its hard still, but spending more time on farms has made me a bit tougher and have a thats life attitude.

Polly, the bunny with the eye crust, i cleaned off the crust and bits of fur and the eyes are not sealed all the way. i didnt know how that could effect the baby later on...i realize its a culling offense but im no breeder...what would long term effects be?

and the other smoke whose the runt seems perfectly fine.

also...Sara is pacing and seems sad, she grunts randomly while moving around her cage. still licks me when i put my hand in the cage but she doesnt seem like herself...can rabbits realize when you take a kit? or when they loose one?

sorry for all the dumb questions/statements.

My doe Rosie grunts a lot when we try to pick her up after she's nursed her babies.
I do think a rabbit can sense when her babies are taken away from her, it might be confusing so I would just try to comfort her at this point and maybe pamper her a bit more.
Being a first-time mom can be rough.
..and your questions are'nt dumb.

Ok I did think it was the max factor gene at work, Fuzz (sorry dont know your name) the baby will be blind in that eye. if you can see in it once the crust is removed you are likely to see that the eye is milky coloured. every time the crust forms it seems to put pressure on the eye as well. If you dont clean it off then puss will build up behind it which is uncomfortable for the kit and causes pain. Again the best thing is to cull it as you can't keep its eye clean 24/7 and even at that my guess would be the eye will always cause the baby problems.

Your runt is fine will be carrying the max factor gene but isn't showing it. As long as it is never bred you should be fine it would ok as a pet.

As for your doe, they can be a bit unsettled but quickly settle back down in a day or 2 the fact she will still have 1 she will be ok with.

I have found even if I have had to cull a full litter my doe is fine by the next day. Its never something I like having to do but after having rabbits with problems I would hate to pass problems onto others imo :)

Edited to add: never be sorry about asking questions its the only way to learn ;)

i put down the other baby with the eye problem. i showed the body to the mom and she seemed very confused. i went to go bury the baby where we had the other one and when i came back the runt had been torn up bitten and was dead...

so the whole litter is r.i.p.

I'm so sorry. You completely did all the right things, and did the best that you could; that's all anyone can do. What happened to the last baby was a tragedy, and I'm truly sorry for your loss.

Binky Free little babies.

x

Oh dear, I'm so sorry for your loss.
That would be very difficult to take.
It sounds like mom was stressed by what was going on.

I'm truely sorry to hear you lost the whole litter. You did the right thing with the little white one. I suspectthat level of deformity would have been painful to live with as it matured and started to move around.

And "Max Factor" is a nasty problem to deal with in the Nethie's. I would assume both Sara and Ess carry the gene. I wouldn't let them breed again. (Maybe get Ess neutered ?)

Sara will settle down in a day or so. Her hormones will return to normal. Keep in mind she will be very receptive to breeding again. Keep her away from Ess....

If you do get Ess neutered, he still has to stay away from Sara for 8 weeks. It can take that long for all the hormones to drop.

Ess is being fixed soon...its just coming up with the money for it and ive been saving. Sara just plays with the boys since thier balls havnt dropped yet and little mimzy. she kinda keeps to herself though

thank you everyone. i know everything happens for a reason and maybe she just realized that the babies werent supposed to live. its easier because their newborns, it would have been a lot harder if they were older.

i am still learning a lot though and hopefully someday i can put the knowledge to better use.

I am so sorry that happened with the runt :( I do think your doe has a bit of Brittania petite through her and they can be very tempremental mama's.

You did the best you could and I know how hard it can be. Hugs for you

Its no problem glad I was soem help even though it wasn't what you wanted to hear :( I am sorry it wasnt a better outcome for you :(
Nethies can be a nightmare to breed with the double dwarf genes, max factor genes and the fact that they get so many pencil kits. There has beena few times it has disheartened me so much I have considered giving them up but I love the breed so much tbh I just dont think I could.

Aww I'm so sorry, what a sad situation, my heart goes out to you. I have bred Nethies in the past, they are a tough breed, I don't think I'd ever do it again. So sorry again sweetie.

Back