2 boys -- need advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Males get over neutering in general much quicker than females recover from spaying; it's just a much less invasive procedure (and having witness MANY of these, I can safely that with a slight shudder :/)

He'll likely take a few days to get back to his normal self, and in that time I would make sure he has his normal pellets, veggies, maybe his favourite chunk of fruit, and lots of hay. He will probably be feeling unwell from the anasthetic, so he might only feel like eating his fav veggie etc.

Like Elrohwen said, trying and stop him from leaping anywhere- the sofa/chairs etc. and keep him in a one level cage.

Check the area every day, but it shouldn't be too long before it starts to heal and looks nice and healthy again (other than the red rawness it's probably looking like now).

Are you taking him back to the vet in a few days for them to check? These checkups are done with a nurse and should be free- they are just to check the stitches and the incision etc.

ETS- I'd give it a week before you put him back in his multistorey cage. In all likeliness, he'll probably be okay after about 4/5 days, but you don't want to risk it. You need to be sure, and I think a week should be safe to say it will be fine.
Don't be terrified if you see him leap onto the sofa- my Pippin did that a few hours after he was neutered and I almost yelped in fear! I quickly checked him, and he was absolutely fine. There are just some times that you can't be watching them every second and they may leap somewhere they aren't supposed to- just keep as best an eye on him and you can, and check him if you think he's been too energetic.

Jen

thank you so much for all your help -- my daughter who is real 'mommy' to the buns is in the hospital, been there 6 weeks so far, with anorexia, so i'm just getting back into the bunny stuff and trying to help her in any way -- the sweet buns were a 'get well and enjoy life' sort of gift -- they are her true love -- now if only she could relearn to enjoy eating as much as her bunnies do!

I'm very sorry to hear about your daughter and I hope she's on her way to recovery! I'm sure the buns will be a great help to her as she recovers

Latest posts

Back