2 and half year old Dutch Dwarf dies rather suddenly... Why?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fizscy

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a newcomer to the forums. I must admit though that I had a specific purpose to joining.

My girlfriend and I have had two rabbits since December 2009. We were stupid and got them from a pet store. $1000 later in pasteurella treatments, and we had two cute bunnies that were now healthy bunnies none-the-less. We picked them up mid January and it turned out they were born December 14, so we ended up boycotting the inhumane practises of that aweful store (PJs Pets just for warning). Because they had a tendency to nip each others bums, we kept them next to each other in separate, but touching cages (fine mesh so they couldn't nip through it). Shaving were never used for bedding or litter; only newspaper. I figure these details are important to the present situation.

On Tuesday afternoon, our beloved Hendrix passed away. It has taken us both by surprise and I am finding it harder to recover from this than losing my dog of 9 years or my cat of 14. One of the hardest parts of the pain has been the complete loss as to why this happened. On Sunday I had yelled at him (not loud, but stern) as he had chewn a big hole into my pea jacket. He stayed in his cage overnight, and the next day was business as per usual - Bursting forth from his cage and running around, getting into mischief and seeking affection from our cat (he didn't like us touching him, but the cat was fine).

The next morning, as I ran out the door to work at 6:30am, I tossed the usual supply of hay and kibbles in. He was lying there, but I wasn't there long enough to take note of his eating or pooping condition. At about noon my girlfriend calls me in a panic as he is limp and unresponsive, wouldn't even eat papaya (normally a give-me-it-now! type of treat for him). She quickly took him in to an alternative vet, because our vet didn't have a rabbit doctor in that day (thanks for that lovely convenience, I will be unleashing a torrent of hatred towards them the next time I go for having the audacity to take people in as clients while not having someone on duty daily)

The vet took him in at about 1:45, sent out some blood tests. At 3:00 we got the call that he had died shortly after we left (!!!), and that the tests had come back with nothing out of the ordinary, except a slightly low blood sugar. He hadn't eaten any of what I gave him in the morning, so I think those two are directly related, but a symptom and not a cause.

Being so knocked out of the water by this and the suddenness, we had an autopsy performed. The vet that performed it told us she didn't have enough to make a solid diagnosis, but mentioned that there were small fat pockets surrounding his lungs, that his heart was confined / squished and that his liver had rounded edges.

I feel horribly to blame for getting mad a few days earlier and possibly stressing him and bringing this about... But he was completely fine all day Monday! All I know is that our house is much quieter and lonelier without our dear bunny, and that some kind of answer would at least bring some kind of closure.

Fizscy wrote:
Shaving were never used for bedding or litter; only newspaper. I figure these details are important to the present situation.

The vet took him in at about 1:45, sent out some blood tests. At 3:00 we got the call that he had died shortly after we left (!!!), and that the tests had come back with nothing out of the ordinary, except a slightly low blood sugar. He hadn't eaten any of what I gave him in the morning, so I think those two are directly related, but a symptom and not a cause.

Being so knocked out of the water by this and the suddenness, we had an autopsy performed. The vet that performed it told us she didn't have enough to make a solid diagnosis, but mentioned that there were small fat pockets surrounding his lungs, that his heart was confined / squished and that his liver had rounded edges.

I feel horribly to blame for getting mad a few days earlier and possibly stressing him and bringing this about... But he was completely fine all day Monday! All I know is that our house is much quieter and lonelier without our dear bunny, and that some kind of answer would at least bring some kind of closure.

First of all, I am so so so sorry for your loss, especially in the unexpected way that it happened. You and your girlfriend went above and beyond to ensure that he would be returned to wellness, but it was not to be.

My suggestion would have been to have a necropsy (sp) preformed, which you did. The fat pockets around the heart and lungs, as far as I know, could have been environmental or hereditary.

Feeding improper food (such as 98% of what is offered at pet stores) would have had an affect on how much fat was going into his body (too much if it was a poor feed) but at so young, I wouldn't have thought pockets of it would be there. Which is where the heredity probably came in. Most rabbits from pet stores are born in 10x worse the conditions you described the store itself to having and therefore have poor genes and immunity. (One more reason to pick the adoption option.)

Ordinarily on such a sad post, I wouldn't both to be picky, but you had mentioned that the pet shop kept their rabbits on newspaper instead of wood shavings as a negative. While I hate stores that sell live animals with a burning passion, that was actually better.

Pine and Cedar shavings are actually toxic, which can lead to lung and either kidney or liver problems (can't remember which other organ). Not saying that you using them led to your poor babies death, but keeping your remaining rabbit off of them will certainly help her future. (Aspen shavings are safe, but unnecessary if you litter train.)

Again, so sorry for your loss. He sounds like he was well loved.

We had a little Dutch girl, Bonny, who was not quite 3. She was fine when we took off for a show at 4 but was gone when our son came over at 9 to feed everybody. She was fine when we left--frisky, and full of life. Things just happen sometimes whether we like it or not. Rest in peace little man.

Oh no, I'm so sorry. I know hoe much I love my Agnes and so I can imagine how you must feel :(

I'm not a vet so I can't give you any more of an answer than they did. Maybe it was just his time? The only other thing that crossed my mind was some sort of blockage from the coat he ate? But then again, I'm sure the autopsy would have shown that.......

I think maybe what you are looking for is that you feel guilty that you yelled at him. But it is NOT your fault. That is not what killed him. You gave him lots of love during his life and basically rescued him from that awful pet store so try to relish in the memories and not beat yourself up over one little incident. He knew he was loved.

Sorry for your loss. You can visit the rainbow bridge section here for some more help with your loss. Best to you.

First off, thank you everyone now and to come for the kind words in this time of pain.

@Nelsons mom: They actually used the Hamster stuff unfortunately, which I knew was bad. I meant that I use newspaper as the bedding, and Yesterdays News as the litter.

Whenever I pass this store now I randomly go in and ask a staff member the birth date of the rabbits in the cage. I always get 8 weeks as an answer, but they refuse to show me the little card that has the birth date on it (wonder why?). I've made sure to let everyone I know never to buy food, toys, pets, litter, or ANYTHING from this aweful place, ever. I also regularly relate my story on their Facebook page for the world to see. I really wish there was some regulations on these terrible pet mills.

If, in time, I consider finding a bonding partner for our other rabbit, Syd, I will definitely be bringing him around to foster families to pick his own partner. Seeing him sitting or lying in front of Hendrix's cage is heartbreaking, but at least shows that despite the bum nipping and the two years of what seemed to be in-vain attempts to bond them, they had one all along (they were litter mates but both strived for dominance when puberty hit).

Sorry for the loss of your bunny. But if you knew the bunnies were being housed improperly, why buy?

@Nelsons mom: They actually used the Hamster stuff unfortunately, which I knew was bad. I meant that I use newspaper as the bedding, and Yesterdays News as the litter.

Also know you are upset, but staff members of any store, for any animal don't have to disclose birth dates to people just passing through. They don't know you, or do they????

Word for the wise, I wouldn't defame anyone or store before you have full proof. That's taking a big chance today.

K:)

I am sorry for your loss, some pet store are worse than others though, I wouldn't hate on all of them. I manage one for my boss in my small town. Though we do not sell cats or dogs since we work with the animal shelter and three rescue groups, she is extremely picky on where her other animals, including her bunny's come from. Most of the breeders she knows personally.

We don't always know a birth date as we take in abandon bunny's and animals also that are randomly dropped off. Though we make sure to make that bit of input clear to a new possible owner.

Latest posts

Back