13 year old rabbit limp hind leg.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookiebun

Reaction score
He has an appointment with the vet tomorrow afternoon.
I picked up my elderly rabbit Cookie to rinse off his belly because he can't groom himself any more. One of his hind legs is totally flaccid and dangles like a dead thing. Argg! :help

He seems in good spirits otherwise. I gave him his metacam and some water and hay which he liked. Could he have dislocated his leg or something?
he's been getting Adequan shots.

How do you keep an old rabbit from hurting himself more, he keeps trying to go for a hop? :help

If the post has been here too long it's locked down and you can't edit it--otherwise, you can click on down below and edit. Our old girl Coal was the same condition and after 4 months of doing every thing I could for her, it was time to say goodbye. Not what you want to hear and not what I wanted choice wise, but she was 14 years old and it was time.

Please be patient waiting for replies. When you have complex health questions, not everyone will know how to answer them. Sometimes too, posts can get missed, depending on the day and time posted. In which case, after a couple of days you can bump your thread.

Posts can only be edited for 5 min. after submitting. After that you just need to write out an additional post with any corrections or additional info.

This is really something only a vet could diagnose for you. An injury is possible, so are complications because of old age, or even possibly e. cuniculi.

If you are worried about further injury, it's best to confine your rabbit to a smaller area until the vet has seen your rabbit.

Best of luck at the vets.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/paresis.html
http://www.disabledrabbits.com/baths--cleaning.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back