13 Days

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njpal

Reaction score
As per the advice on the forum, I took the nestbox out today and the babies were wandering about the hutch. AWW theyare so cute. The way the tiny legs move and the pitter patter the 6pairs of legs make is just too cute.

Every time the children come close to the mother, they try and feed butRiya jumps away. I'm just wondering whether she'll be able to feed allof them without the nest, where they would all be together in themiddle and shewould sit on top of them.

I have a food bowl in the hutch which I leave in all thetime.Are the kidsallowed to eat solid food at thisstage and is there a risk of over eating. I also keep green vegs forRiya (mum)willthat be okay for the babies.

I let them all out into the living room and it was terrific, 6 lilbabies on a crazy rampage. Some of them were walkingintothings and banging their little heads LOL. When i put myhand out some of them start licking it and eating it.Maybetheythoughtit was a big nipple or something? Lol

(Big thank you to Amy, Pam and others who have responded ever soquickly to my questions. Avg. response time is 5 mins. AMAZING!! Thanks.

njpal wrote:
Avg. response time is 5 mins. AMAZING!! Thanks.

That's what I love about this forum!

If you have removed some of the nest bedding with the dam's scent, thebabies will roam a little less the 2nd day once they've settledin. Mine usually spend a few days in the new "nest".

Don't worry about them getting fed -- they'll hunt mom outif they've missed a meal LOL

Pam

Solid Food?

Food bowl, overeating?

Veg?

I've actually removed all but a handful of the fur which is in theprivate are. So the hutch is as it was before the kindling. Now theyhave their fur they shouldn't die of underheating right?(They areindoors)

What about their litter tray should I just keep one, which is used by the mother.

Also Should I put anything in the water such as teramycin or something.

(Thanks for putting up with all my questions. I have learnt a greatdeal fromthis forum. And I hope others benefit from myquestions too).

You mean like should be be feeding them solid foods?

What brand of pellets are you feeding them?

You can put a low dish of food in the cage for the babies, if they cantreach into mom's food. Babies should be allowed to eat unlimitedamounts of pellets and hay. I dont suggest feeding veggies until theybabies are 6 months old, though some people feed them veggies as earlyas 8 weeks, I personally dont because it makes them sick.

Make sure that there is a pile of hay for the babies to sleep on if they wish :)

I didnt put anything in my babies water bottles, though I do buy thembottles water because where I live no one is really supposed to drinkthe water (too much iron in it) :)

Let me know if I forgot to answer anything :D

~Amy

Hey thx a lot.

I've noticed that Riya can't sit still with the babies around. Everytime she tries to lay down, she gets terrorised by at least one baby.So she runs away. I hope she doesn't trample any babies. I do have twohutches. one small one and one large one. Should I put the babies inthe small hutch with fur from their mum and leave Riya in the big hutchto let her relaxfor a few hours a day and bring them alltogether in one hutch for feeds only?

njpal wrote:
Hey thx a lot.

leave Riya in the big hutch to let her relax for a few hours a day and bring them all together in one hutch for feeds only?

Thats fine :) My babies only saw their mother when she had to feed them(which is like 30 minutes a day). Other then feeding the mother doesnthave much to do with them :) The babies lived in the living room in abox and the mother lived in my bed room :)

Here is the post about my first litter :)

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=6320&forum_id=1

~Amy

Hey I do remember reading that post. How is the babies foot now and how is everyone else keeping?

You went through so much,I admire the determination and loveyou showed to keep those babies alive and healthy. Well done!

I'm not sure but would yours be considered an extreme case, because Ihave read that you should not separate the children from their mothersuntil 8 weeks?

????

njpal wrote:
Hey I do remember reading that post. How is the babies foot now and how is everyone else keeping?

The other babies are fine, actually all but one have been sold, but the baby who didnt have a foot passed away last week :(

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=7674&forum_id=1

You went through so much, I admire the determination and love you showed to keep those babies alive and healthy. Well done!

:) Thanks!

I'm not sure but would yours be considered an extreme case, because Ihave read that you should not separate the children from their mothersuntil 8 weeks?

????

I think that it is they should have the choice to feed from theirmother until they are 8 weeks but my babies didnt want to. I also thinkit is that they are not supposed to be seperated from eachother untilthey are 8 weeks, because they use eachother for heat, or somethinglike that :)

ayglnu13 wrote:
njpal wrote:
the baby who didnt have a foot passed away last week :(

I'm really sorry to hear that. :(.

The food we bought was meant for Riya. It's brand is Russel Rabbit. A U.K. brand I think.

Between two and three weeks, they willexperiment with solid food. It is pretty entertaining to watch, becausethey aren't used to chewing hard things and so they pick up a pellet,take a bite, and it falls right back out.:p

Rose

Latest posts

Back