12 week old french lop litter dying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crimson

Reaction score
My doe had a litter of 8 kits. They all developed fine and were weaned from their mother at 8 weeks. They are now 12 weeks and in the last week 4 have died. One day I found 1 dead in their exercise pen. He had been acting fine and didn't appear to have any symptoms. The next day another died and then that evening one more. I started to notice that there were a couple who were starting to lose weight and acting lethargic, but the were eating and drinking. I have 4 left 2 seem to be fine but even though the other 2 have been eating and drinking the have lost weight.

I have never had this happen before with a litter. Anyone have any idea what is going on?:pray:

How are their poop and pee? If they have runny poop, diarrhea that could be the problem as diarrhea is a major health issue in young bunnies.

I am not sure what else could be wrong with them.

Oatmeal. Any diarhea issues, oatmeal might help. I know some agree on this and some don't. The breeders I've gotten all my bunnies from have all recomended mixing it while they're young with their food. It has helped alot.

The strange thing is the others didn't have any symptoms. My bunnies all get oats with their pellets. For the two that did have diarrhea I gave them Biosol. They are still alive, but have lost alot of weight. I found one in his cage lying on his side tonight. I thought he was dead, but when I picked him up he moved. I held him for quite awhile thinking he was going to die. I was hoping he at least would have a little comfort knowing I was there. He then seemed to perk up and I put him back in his cage and he started eating some hay. I checked him a few minutes ago and he was still nibbling on hay. The other one that has lost the weight is acting fine. I am so hoping she stays that way. The other two have been gaining weight and acting fine. I so hope they stay that way. I didn't separate them because I figured if it is contagious it is already too late.

One thing I started doing is giving my bunnies Neomycin Sulfate in their drinking water at weaning and for about 10 days after. It is an anti scours product for goats but you mix half a teaspoon in a crock of water(16-18 oz crock).
After my heatwave run of Mucoid Enteritis and another breeder sharing this, I swear by it.

Another thing would be Bene-Bac top mixed into their food and some apple cider vinegar in their water(2 tblspns per gallon) You can use the Apple Cider Vinegar with all your rabbits, it cuts down on the coccidiosis mortality rate and slightly acidifies the system to help fight off other problems.

Back