12 WEEK OLD BUCK WITH SPLIT PENNIS

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMALL S RABBITRY

Reaction score
Well one of the REW does turned ou to be a buck with split pennis when they where 2 months old they both looked like does I went out there and was looking and found that the one we call Christmas and she is now a he and when I raised rabbits back the first time I never herd of it and now I have a buck with it.I was wanting to know why it happens is it genetic or does it just happen somtimes and sense it has happened to such a young buck could it fix it self. Please let me know. Thanks Toby

Hi Toby, a split penis is genetic and will not correct itself best to pet that rabbit out and try to figure out who is throwing it : sire or dam and pet that one out also since it is a gendtic disorder you do not want to continue producing it in your lines.

Tobi wrote:
Hi Toby, a split penis is genetic and will not correct itself best to pet that rabbit out and try to figure out who is throwing it : sire or dam and pet that one out also since it is a gendtic disorder you do not want to continue producing it in your lines.
Okay quicky question Tobi, if you have a buck with a severe split penis-looks like a doe with testicles, how do you determine if it was the sire or the dam throwing it. The dam only had two litters, of 1 kit each first litter was a doe, second litter was the buck with split penis. the sire has had one other litter with a different doe no bucks came out with split penis. would that be the dam throwing it then?

Blaze_Amita wrote:
Tobi wrote:
Okay quicky question Tobi, if you have a buck with a severe split penis-looks like a doe with testicles, how do you determine if it was the sire or the dam throwing it.  The dam only had two litters, of 1 kit each first litter was a doe, second litter was the buck with split penis.  the sire has had one other litter with a different doe no bucks came out with split penis.  would that be the dam throwing it then?

Decifering if it is the dam or the sire is the hard part you either pet both out or continue breeding them to diffrent rabbits until you get another buck with a split penis. Or unless you know that animals original breeder well enough to ask if they have ever had one out of there lines. Sometimes it takes a bit to figure out who it is and if I feel both animals are not of show quality or do not hav ed whaft I am looking for I would pet both out instead of waisting time and producing more pets.

I now own the buck Blaze_amita is refering too and I had a litter out of the mother while she was with me in New York. I contacted the does orignal owner she had four litters and no split penis. I am going to pet home my buck. Thank you Tobi!!

Sometimes its just that pair together. I have a doe who has had alot of litters, never had a baby with bad teeth, and the buck has had a good 30 litters. I bred them together and they threw a kit with bad teeth. I have never paired them together agian and have never had a baby with bad teeth agian.

Yes I see what you are sayingbad teeth can come from both genetic and just from the rabbit pulling on the wire and not having enough to chew. How old was this kit when you noticed the teeth? I only ask this because most peoplecheck teeth either right before the rabbit starts to show or right before they sell them so the rabbit has a chance to develope a bad wire pulling problem or it can go unoticed if it is genetic.Honestly if it was my rabbit and It gave me bad teeth I would have petted both mom and dad out because that is something that is unwanted in the "breeding world" and if there was a .00001% chance of getting it I defonatly would not want it in my herd.A split penis is a genetic disorder and in no way would you ever want to keep that in your herd because it can show up generations later as do bad teeth if it is indeed a genetic defect in the animal. The whole idea of improving the breed is to try and elimanate the faults in the animals be it genetic or just what you see on the outside and to acheve this sometimes you have to pet-out/cullanimals.

Back