10 week old baby, Sick :/(RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ecresi

Reaction score
Recently noticed during feeding time today, that one of my babies (They just turned 10 weeks) didn't rush for her food like the others did. instead she just stayed in the corner of her cage and slept. I tried picking her up moving her to the food to show her it was there thinking maybe she just didn't notice it, but she just kinda flopped into the dish, and soon after went back to her spot in the corner. I was a little concerned and decided to keep an eye on her. She was perfectly fine a day or two ago, drinking, eating and playing with the others but now all of a sudden it's like her energy is just plain gone. She's lost weight it seems too, but in the past few days I haven't seen any difference in her. she seemed as normal as the others. I would call a vet immediately but I can't afford it right now. I'm out of a job and things are so tight we can barely afford to feed ourselves. She's so weak. Wont eat or drink anything, and that's not her at all. I understand she may not make it past the next few days, but I was wondering if any of the breeders could give a little help here.If any of you have experienced this, or If she's sick should I take her away from the others in case she spreads something to them as well?

Ecresi wrote:
Recently noticed during feeding time today, that one of my babies (They just turned 10 weeks) didn't rush for her food like the others did. instead she just stayed in the corner of her cage and slept. I tried picking her up moving her to the food to show her it was there thinking maybe she just didn't notice it, but she just kinda flopped into the dish, and soon after went back to her spot in the corner. I was a little concerned and decided to keep an eye on her. She was perfectly fine a day or two ago, drinking, eating and playing with the others but now all of a sudden it's like her energy is just plain gone. She's lost weight it seems too, but in the past few days I haven't seen any difference in her. she seemed as normal as the others. I would call a vet immediately but I can't afford it right now. I'm out of a job and things are so tight we can barely afford to feed ourselves. She's so weak. Wont eat or drink anything, and that's not her at all. I understand she may not make it past the next few days, but I was wondering if any of the breeders could give a little help here.If any of you have experienced this, or If she's sick should I take her away from the others in case she spreads something to them as well?
sometimes weaning takes longer for some kits.//.diet has alot to do with responses//environmet is secondary--sounds like she has siblings--do you know anything about gi-stasis,,need water to rehydrate,,and hay..ie timothy/orchard grasses--are a must have diet--an examination should be done--mouth/face/gitract-,,poop samples tested...rabbits have meters/clock-so to speak,,being prey animals-they hide their pain/illness very well to the point of dying--thus many do,,in my opinion the meter is running...take heed.sincerely james waller:pink iris:

If a rabbit's not eating or drinking then it's gut is going to shut down very rapidly (if it's not already). The treatment depends on the problem, which requires a checkup (by a vet). Is there no assistance program that could help you with vet treatment?

You could try syringe feeding her food water. That may make her worse if she has a blockage but then a blockage with no treatment will kill her anyway. You can make syringe food by mushing up the normal pellets you feeding with water.

If she doesn't show any improvement and you can't afford to treat I would get her put to sleep s at least she doesn't suffer. A shelter may do that if you can't afford a vet.

It could be infectious, but if it is they'll have already be exposed so little point separating at this point.

It's a good idea to put away a pot of money ahead of breeding to cover the costs of any complications so you don't have a big bill you can't cope with.

get some benebac which is a probiotic and give her dose of it. You can buy it in powder form and mix it with pedialyte or it also comes in gel form for small mammals.

You can buy a probiotic at petsmart or petco

You can use the type for dogs or cats or small mammals but do not use the avian version.
Also try to keep her hydrated . use a syringe and give her pedialyte (infant electrolyte drink)

Without you intervening she will not make it .

Also you may want to place some rice in a sock and heat it evenly in the microwave . makes sure that it is only warm and that the heat is evenly distributed. Put the sock where she can huddle with it if she wishes or move away if she is uncomfortable.

Please let us know how she is doing ; it doesn't sound good right now but possibly you can turn things around....

Do you have the doe ( her mom) ?

if so you could also try to feed her some of the cecal ( night droppings) from her mom to her

When was she taken from the doe/?

This is a critical age for a young rabbit; they do not have stable gut flora at this age and if weaned too young they often develop serious GI issues

This wasn't a planned pregnancy on this end. She was a rescue, and the babies were a surprise on my birthday no less. I still have the doe, and I haven't removed the mother yet in fear of taking her too early so she is still in with her mom and her siblings. Her condition is worsening and I doubt she'll live past the night. if She does I may just have her put down. If I can even afford that right now. It's so hard being unable to find any work. Thought I was getting lucky with all of these guys being so healthy and lively, or so it seemed.

Just as update, thanks to all who gave me suggestions. Sadly enough she passed away this morning in my arms. I'm trying to get up some money to take the others to the vet just to be sure there isn't something wrong with them also. Thank you everyone, all your help is greatly appreciated, even if you couldn't offer much help at all.

I wasn't able to get out last night. the only store near me isn't in walking distance, and my older brother works late nights so he had the car. I was going to go out early this morning when he go home but it was too late.

If you run into further troubles with the remaining members of the litter and need priobiotics, pedialyte, etc. please let me know. I will gladly give you some of my supply.

So sorry. Babies can get very sick very quickly, and pass unexpectedly like that.

Was there any soft stool, jelly or mucus-covered feces? This would be a sign of mucoid enteritis, which is common in young bunnies as they make the transition from milk to solid food. It is very rough on the gut to make this transition, and frequently the GI bacterial populations get out of balance, leading to production of jelly/mucus and soft stools. The "bad" bacteria that are out of balance release toxins into the bloodstream and can overwhelm a young bunny quickly.

I would treat the others with a probiotic like BeneBac or Probios, get some simethicone and pedialyte to have on hand, and order some Bio-Sponge. Bio-sponge is a drug that sequesters the bacterial toxins so they can't get into the body and cause death.

http://www.entirelypets.com/platbio15cc.html
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016CQX8O/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Back