1 year old not yet pregnant

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cocorabbit

Reaction score
If I have a doe that hasn't had babies (hasn't even mated with a buck) and she is going to be one year old soon, is there any harm in trying to get her pregnant now?

I thought I read somewhere that could be a problem...

:?:brownbunny

You will be fine getting her pregnant and it probably wont hurt her but she will be a first time mom so don't be surprised if a lot goes wrong( eating her babies, not keeping them warm not feeding all of them). I would not wait too long though when she gets to about 2 years she will be too old.

Think about what your going to do with the babies though somtimes they are very tough to give away and if you do the owners dont alwayes take good care of them :( especially if they dont know what they are getting themselves into.

good luck:biggrin:

cocorabbit wrote:
If I have a doe that hasn't had babies (hasn't even mated with a buck) and she is going to be one year old soon, is there any harm in trying to get her pregnant now?

I thought I read somewhere that could be a problem...

:?:brownbunny

I've read that too. Most does should be bred before they are a year old. Smaller breeds like you have should be bred by 7-8 months.

Andit's a crap shoot with First Time Mom's anyway even at 7-8 months. Someare goodMoms, some aren't.

How soon will she be 1 year old?

K:)

You should go ahead and try breeding her as soon as you can. The longer you wait past the 1 year mark the harder it can be for her to get pregnant, and if she does, more can go wrong. First time moms, no matter what the age, can have more issues though. You don't HAVE to breed her just because she's coming up to 1 year...she can live a good life without having a litter.

Thanks for all the replies! She is about 7 months old now. We want to breed her, but we actually don't have room at the moment, until September, THEN we will have the space for new bunnies.

But also thanks for the warnings... will keep it in mind and decide what to do when Sept comes. I know it is a serious thing, so I appreciate the frank advice from everyone!

:thanks::upsidedown:

Latest posts

Back