1 week after Revolution rabbit still has live fleas

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookiebun

Reaction score
My 10+ year old rex rabbit Cookie has been treated with Advantage and Revolution in the past 8 days yet he still has live fleas on him. Any suggestions?

We sprayed our carpet with pet friendly flea spray and have never noticed fleas on the carpet or on us. The rabbits don't go outside so I'm not sure how they got the fleas to begin with. I feed them Oxbow Timothy hay. Could the fleas have come in on that? I've decided to store most of the hay outside in a metal garbage can and freeze small quantities before giving it to them.

My other rabbit, Spot ( 6yrs+ English Spot, part Dwarf) doesn't seem to have fleas but we've treated her with Revolution anyway. We took both to the vet to get weighed to make sure we had the right dose.

The only other thing I can think of is that my husband and I track in fleas from our patio that have fallen off the local squirrels .:X

I know it's not a fun thought, but is there a chance you could have mice? Our vet said that if a pet has fleas and you can't figure out a way that they may have gotten them, you might have mice that are dragging them into your house.

I tried to help an injured wild mouse and he escaped inside the apartment. That was at least 2 years ago though.
:dunno
Thanks for the reply.

Here's a picture of the rabbit in question:
cookiexv.jpg
[/url]%20%20Uploaded%20with%20ImageShack.us[/img]

If you have any other animals in the house they might be bringing fleas in?

You might be bringing them in (although not too common as fleas are not so attracted to hoomins) OR your neighbors might have a flea problem

The environment. You might have to have your apartment bombed or treated by an exterminator. Call the office and see if they can offer flea treatment or see if your neighbors are having a similar problem?

Revolution says that it's product
"Kills adult fleas (Ctenocephalides felis) and prevents flea eggs from hatching."
https://www.revolution4cats.com/default.aspx?sec=Product Overview

Advantage says
"Advantage® II kills fleas at every stage of their lifecycle."
http://www.petparents.com/products.aspx/about/advantage-ii-cats

Both are very good products and should have done their job if given at the right dose. I would try treating the apartment or call the office and see if anyone else has complained?

A lot of my neighbors have dogs and we frequently have to treat apartments for fleas after residents move out. I don't take any of my own pets outside.
I have 2 pet rats, 2 doves and a fish tank + the 2 rabbits. Not really possible to bomb the whole apartment.
The complex would treat the apartment but not while we are living in it. I've been trying to get my husband to move out of this place for 20 years. He just refuses.

We always have residents complaining about all kinds of real and imagined bugs. We have exterminators under contract.

I should mention I actually work at this complex where we live.

Our biggest problem with fleas was when we lived in Hayward. We had to have our yard sprayed every other month or else we got invaded from everyones' yard on our block. I started calling our dog "bugsy". You may be getting them from somewhere else and then bringing them in. Remember how the Black Plague was spread. Fleas that would hitch a ride from town to town on people, rats, and livestock.

unless you bomb idk if you can get them all, theyd be on anything fabric. curtains and clothes, ect.

Try listerone, the yellow original kind. just wipe it on their fur to dampen him, not soak him. and itll kill the fleas. but using advantage is dangerous, and its overdosing an animal thats very small to use both within sucha period of time. id be more worried about seizures and watching closely for anything off, too.

fuzz16 wrote:
unless you bomb idk if you can get them all, theyd be on anything fabric. curtains and clothes, ect.

Try listerone, the yellow original kind. just wipe it on their fur to dampen him, not soak him. and itll kill the fleas. but using advantage is dangerous, and its overdosing an animal thats very small to use both within sucha period of time. id be more worried about seizures and watching closely for anything off, too.

I'll try the listerine.
I told the Vet about the Advantage before we put the Revolution on. I was worried about that. He seems o.k.

Latest posts

Back