1 vs 2

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amyshizzle

Reaction score
So I really want to get Rascal a friend. Whether or not that is possible right now I do not know. It's costly with just one bun. How much more would it cost to add on another bun? I am buying bedding in bulk now so I don't think that would be a problem. Hay is a little pricey and I don't have room for a huge 50lb bale of hay. I just buy my hay from rescues or dealers that have hay in smaller quantities. Veggies aren't that much, but with two buns eating I don't know may be costly then? Pellets last a while with one bun since I get a big bag so I am assuming it would last a little less but still a good while with two buns? My current bunny gets 1/3 cup a day of pellets, so that is not a lot. I don't know the size of my next bun soooo yeah haha. As for chews and stuff, that could be costly. I just bought two exercise pens for outside to put together for Rascal to play outside in. I have Rascal in a 4x4 x-pen, though it looks smaller than it said. That would be good for two buns right? If not Rascals going to have to be a solo bun till I can move out. That is the biggest I can go for x-pens. I don't have any more room in my room for anything. lol, it's over run by Rascal. xD

Anyways, how much more costly is it for two buns? I mean Im already buying bulk bedding and a big bag of pellets.

Having 2 rabbits, especially 2 separate rabbits, does cost about twice as much as a single. You are using twice as much food, hay, litter etc and would need supplies for each cage. It is more work too, you have 2 cages to clean and have to do food, water, hay, veggies for each cage.
With a bonded pair, you still use more food, but hay tends to not be twice as much (only one cage with waste, they would eat the same amount though) and litter should be less than 2 but more than 1. There would be 2 cage, but it should be bigger. You should only need 1 water dish/bottle but 2 food dishes is a good idea. Toys you won't need 2 of everything, but may need more toys and some toys (hay/grass balls etc) may need to be replaced more often. Bonded pairs can share a carrier, but it is usually a larger one than a single rabbit.

Buying in bulk does help, but you are still using more. It does mean that you end up buying more often or buy more at once.

One thing that I think is missing in your well thought out reasonings of getting a friend for Rascal. Vet costs. You will have two that you need to make sure you have funds for health checks or illnesses.

I think you and Rascal would have fun with a friend. Though it will take time for them to bond, and putting them together right away, I don't think is a good idea. For the best start of a bonding, I think baby steps. Bunnies need time to adjust and actually like or tolerate each other.

I commend you for really sitting down and planning. If it's not meant to be now, Rascal always has you.

K:)

Thanks! Yeah, actually the rescue I would go through has a bonding program so that would be good. Yeah you are right the vet costs. I know Rascal needs his teeth trimmed soon. When he went to his first vet appt they said they were long and needed to be trimmed, but the vet that does it went on maternity leave. She should be back soon though. I will have to think about it more than this though.

You could help with the cost buy planting a bunny garden, all the greens etc mine get are off the plant. I just went and got a few plants and some seeds the plants will hold them over till the seeds grow. Then you wouldn't have to buy them. Also you can ask your local farmers if you could get their throwback veggies (ex. is too small to sell, too ripe to sell or extras that wont make a bag etc.) Your local small grocery might do this also. If you have a health food cafe type place they might give you their unused stuff at the end of the day.

Also if you can buy half a bale it still cheaper. I fill a tote from a bale and rest staus in the barn.
But when it comes to medical...nbah. been lucky to not have serious issues with all my rabbits and i took that for granted.

I made Rascals pen a lot bigger now. There is a way to make it so two buns can be happy in there and also I can close it off too. The rescue I would go through has a bonding program that could help me bond the buns. I figure if I am buying things in bulk it would be easier. I have taken into consideration vet costs and I am sure they won't be a problem.

I am talking to the rescue and we'll see what happens. I know Rascal loves other bunnies and would love to have a girlfriend. =)

Thanks for the input I really appreciate it! If you have not seen the new pen I set up for Rascal I posted it in the habitat section.

amyshizzle wrote:
I made Rascals pen a lot bigger now. There is a way to make it so two buns can be happy in there and also I can close it off too. The rescue I would go through has a bonding program that could help me bond the buns. I figure if I am buying things in bulk it would be easier. I have taken into consideration vet costs and I am sure they won't be a problem.

I am talking to the rescue and we'll see what happens. I know Rascal loves other bunnies and would love to have a girlfriend. =)

Thanks for the input I really appreciate it! If you have not seen the new pen I set up for Rascal I posted it in the habitat section.
Wishing you all the success in getting Rascal a girlfriend.

Can't wait to see the sweet little girl.

K:)

Latest posts

Back