1 Day Post Spay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarperBun

Reaction score
Hey guys! My bun got spayed yesterday and is not really eating or drinking yet. Her poops are teeny tiny as well.

What can I give her to eat!?

She should have been eating and drinking normally within 12 hours of the surgery. Have you tried offering her favourite veggies? Even small amounts of treat foods like banana is better than nothing.

If she still won't eat, that's a sign of bad pain. I hope the vet sent you home with pain meds? If so, administer them immediately, it's very dangerous for a bunny to go even half a day without eating. If not, you need to take her back to the vet for pain medication (ask for metacam) right away.

If she's still not eating hardly anything, you need to call the vet and tell them your rabbits condition, and also ask for a syringe feeding mix(usually Oxbow critical care mix) so you can start syringe feeding her. It's not good for a rabbit to go more than 12-24 hours without any food or water. If critical care isn't available, you can soak your rabbits plain pellets in warm water to soften, then spoon or syringe feed the soft mush. You will need a wide tip syringe so it doesn't clog. You will also need to syringe water. If you don't know how to syringe feed, make sure they show you how, as it needs to be done carefully, giving the rabbit time to swallow so no liquid is aspirated. Also the vet may want to give a gut stimulant. And if pain meds weren't given to you to give at home, you need this as well, usually metacam is given.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

If your rabbit eats veggies, sometimes they will start eating their leafy greens before pellets and hay.

If you have a rabbit its always a good idea to keep some syringes and pedialyte for emergencies. Dehydration is really bad for rabbits and if you ever notice they are not eating or pooing, first thing to do is give them 15ml - 20ml water or pedialyte as soon as you notice it. Water can't hurt them it can only help, and a rabbit can't digest food if its not hydrated.

Abnormal poop after a spay is actually somewhat normal. It should correct after a couple of days when she is eating more normally. The fact that she is pooping even a little and even if it isn't normal, is always a good thing. Is she eating anything at all? Have you tried leafy veg. like cilantro, parsley, or dark leafy lettuce?

She needs pain meds. In fact, it makes me a bit doubtful about a vet that doesn't automatically send pain relief home with the bun after a spay. Could you imagine going through the same surgery without any pain meds after? If they are still open, call them up and get some pain relief for her.

Right now all I can get her to eat is greens and watermelon :(

Greens is good. I had a bun that would only eat small amounts of greens every half hour or so, for almost 2 days following his neuter, but I felt it was a sufficient amount for him to be ok for those 2 days. So if you can encourage the greens every half hour and she will eat at least a small handful each time(for a small to med. size bun), then she should be fine until her appetite returns. You should see a gradual increase in appetite and that she will gradually start eating her hay and pellets as well over the next day or two. This shouldn't go on for more than 2-3 days from the day she was spayed, or you should be contacting your vet.

I would hold off on the watermelon or any other sugary starchy treats. A small sugary treat is ok at first to try and stimulate appetite, but continuing to give sugary foods could lead to a bacterial imbalance and further digestive upset and problems. Since she is eating leafy greens, I would stick with those as they will be much better for her and less likely to cause issues. if she doesn't seem to be drinking, she will be getting some fluids from the greens, but if it isn't enough you may need to syringe her some water several times throughout the day.

If you have concerns or something doesn't seem right with her, you should contact your vet.

She has nibbled on hay and pellets, but syringing water was a no go! She goes in phases of perkiness to "mama let me nuzzle you"

I wanted to give a little update-

Harper has returned to her curious little self! She is active, but takes a few rat breaks. She is eating and drinking a bit more, and running around.

She has gotten SO many cuddles. I brought her in bed with me to give her lovins and she nuzzled me for the first time. My heart is still swelling with warm fuzziness!

Yeah I'm so glad to hear Harper is better. When my Brooke was sick my vet actually said for me to try to give her watermelon due to the water content is high and is
not tons of sugar in that to keep her hydrated. Every time she gets sick I and won't drink I get watermelon for her and it works like a charm. I'm saying personally this is what I have done based off my vet.... every one has different opinions of what works and what doesn't but I do because I know it's mostly water... I give it to her also in summer when she's not as hydrated as possible..

Good luck and I'm glad to hear that Harper is back to normal! What a relief!

Vanessa

Ok guys, now I am worried. Harp's poops have gotten really tiny. She is her normal self, but these poops are scaring me!

She's eating and drinking perfectly normal. She's acting normal, but lazy.

It sounds like she might be in a bit of pain, or gassy if she's not moving. You could give her a dose of simethicone, but perhaps also ring the vet just to ask their opinion. Smaller poops are an indication that the gut is slowing down. Encourage hay if possible, and lots of drinking water.

I'm wondering if maybe she has some fur stuck in there. She is shedding like crazy.

Latest posts

Back