Harness fit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauraeli

Reaction score
I got my bunny a cat harness (H harness) and he doesnt mind it but im not sure how tight/loose to adjust it. This bothers me more than it seems to bother him but I feel like it gets in the way of his elbows when he sits in loaf position.

Im not planning on 'walking him' really but id like to be able to sit outside with him in a safe place and not worry about him getting lost.

It should be snug. but not too tight. Its hard to describe even when one uses "2 fingers" because everyones fingers and ability to measure with them are different.
It should feel secure enough that your rabbit shouldn't back out of it.
It may appear to impede the elbow area but its most likely fine.

A true H style with the strap that goes on top and between their legs is safest so if the rabbit flails and trys to run the the middle chest strap takes the blow and distributes the pressure from around their neck better so they don't damage their throat. It also helps lower were the neck strap sits on rabbits making it a much safer more comfortable location. vs just the circle chest strap and neck strap you only have 2 points of contact.

House039.jpg

House035.jpg

House029.jpg

Thank you, that is a very good point about the strap between the legs. Mine doesnt have that :) Maybe I will look around some more and see if I can find a better one. Is the H style usually the preferred kind for bunnies?

Depends who you ask, there are numerous people on here who believe that strap I was talking about is a huge no-no, and refuse to use anything but a harness with a single strap along the back connecting the neck and chest straps.

I have seen the damage caused by harnesses with out it on cats and other animals, and its just common sense to have a harness with that strap. Safer for the animal, less escape-able, and more comfortable around the neck. But just remember if your animal tries to run and flail and pressure is put on the leash and then onto the harness because their pulling into it, all that pressure will be solely on the strap circling the chest and circling the neck leading to 2 pressure points, the moment you add that 2nd strap that connects the 2 you turn that entire strap into the pressure point greatly decreasing the pressure on 1 single spot, as well as lowering the neck strap away from the trachea. You also make it harder for your rabbit to sneak their head out of the neck strap.

I know a few people here use the mesh vest small animal style harnesses.

I think I got mine in the cat section at petsmart.
http://www.petsmart.com/cat/harnesses/cat-36-catid-200081
They have lots of pretty colours to choose from. Not sure if mine is the Great Choice Cat harness or Great choice Kitten harness. I'm leaning towards kitten because my guys are only 3lbs....

But make sure it has an O ring where that center strap connects to the neck straps, that helps it form a V like in the photo I posted, otherwise it will still come up higher on the neck.

I did see a mesh vest like this for cats, at walmart. It isnt on the walmart site so I dont know if this is exact. But it looks like this. :)
3944758_f496.jpg

Mesh ones have a lot less room to adjust for a proper fit. The wide bands would help disperse the pressure. A cat one may be too big for a rabbit depending how big your rabbit is. Also cats tend to have larger neck holes then bunnys.
I tried a few mesh ones on my first rabbit and couldn't find one that fit him.

Petsmart also has a few small animal sized vest harnesses.

http://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/h...;sid=lzVgyLxJlg9hyOnpDVQmzI5D_pz5sHOXBfkxhAG8

Both stores have an awesome return policy so you could buy, try it on, and return it if it doesn't fit well.

I have both (and both buns hate them both!) and have found the H-style ones can be adjusted for a snugger fit, while the mesh ones definitely have less wiggle room in that regard.

He's a pretty big bunny :) the small animal harnesses that Ive seen are too small, but the cat one I bought is just the right size. Im trying to upload a picture of him but the upload keeps failing.
photo.php

I like the H ones better they have a more secure fit where the mesh ones can be outgrown :( I had one and my bunny outgrow it in like 4 weeks

Well i uploaded to the gallery, anyway. Ive tried multiple ways to put an image here and it isnt working. It's only this site. I can upload my files just fine on other forums.

Because you're not linking to the image itself, you've use the entire page that image is on.
When I right click on that little X box that appears in your post I get this as the photo URL http://www.rabbitsonline.net/photo/but-you-smell-like-treats-mom-9019.html
Notice how that ends in .html photos need to end in a format like .jpg or .gif or etc....
This is the actual link for your photo
http://cdn.rabbitsonline.net/images/2/0/4/8/2/103_5522-9019.jpg
And it works perfectly :)

Heres a guide on our forum gallery. Check out step 10 where it shows what link to copy so you can use the image in your posts.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=76310

But I will ask that you re-size your photos to 800x600 or less, in a program like paint or whatever before using them in the forum, as that one is quite large (2764 x2469) and will stretch the page if not using the thumbnail size.

thumb2_103_5522-9019.jpg

Back