Bunny Treat Recipes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TK Bunnies

Reaction score
I been hearing recipies for really great sounding bunny treats, and it made me want to try some. Which made me think "wouldn't it be great to have a cook book for bunnies" so I was wondering what good recipes are there for bunny treats. And can I use them?

I'm sure there's been a thread like this before, but now we'll have a new one!

-TK :)

My heart sank when I saw "Bunny Cook Book" thinking it meant something else...mind if I change this to Recipes for Bunnies?

:biggrin2:

Millie (and Ruby) love this one:

Banana Bunny Cookies

Whole Banana (mash)
Add Approx 1 cup rolled oats

I also add craisins or raisins, just add it til I think it looks good, not real heavy on those.

Mix it all up and roll into balls.

Bake for 25 minutes on 325. Allow to cool and serve. (These freeze well in a ziploc bag)

Haley wrote:
My heart sank when I saw "Bunny Cook Book" thinking it meant something else...mind if I change this to Recipes for Bunnies?

OH PLEASE DO!!!! I didn't mean it like that!!! :shock:

I was wonderingif I had said that sort of oddly.

Also - this is what the cookies come out like (and as you can see they are very tasty:biggrin2:)

Millieeatingcookie.jpg

Bunnys_rule63 wrote:
[line]

Banana Bunny Cookies

[line]

Oooooooo I'll have to try it!!! I know Kali and Teacup will like love it!!

Yummy!!! I might have to sneek some from the buns :biggrin2:

Bunnys_rule63 wrote:
Also - this is what the cookies come out like (and as you can see they are very tasty:biggrin2:)

Millieeatingcookie.jpg

OMG!!!! Sooooooooooo cute!!! :inlove:

I can just picture Kali eatting one!!

This has been posted before, but a lot of us make these:

http://www.rabbit.org/fun/biscuts.html

Bunny Biscuits:

1 small carrot, pureed
1/2 banana, mashed until really creamy
1 tbsp honey
1/4 cup rabbit pellets, ground finely in a coffee grinder
1/4 cup ground oats, ground finely in a coffee grinder

Mix pureed carrot, banana and honey in a medium bowl. Add pellet powder and ground oats. Mix until blended. Knead in your hands for 1-2 minutes. Roll out the "dough" in 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick layers between sheets of plastic wrap. Cut into small cookies (about 3/4 inch across). Place cut shapes onto a parchment paper covered cookie sheet. Bake at 325 degrees for about 30 minutes (check to make sure they are not browning too much). Turn off the heat and let the cookies sit in the warm oven for an hour or so.

I usually use pumpkin in mine in place of the carrot (which is hard to puree). I always add in a few raisins or craisins too. Yum!

Also, instead of going through the process of rolling out the dough, etc. I just plop out little balls on a cookie sheet and they flatten as they cook.

TK, the difference between rolled oats and instant oatmeal oats is that instant oatmeal oats are more finely ground, so they dont have to cook for as long as rolled.

Im making some cookies right now, they have

1 finely grated carrot
2 mashed bananas
a couple handfuls of instant oatmeal oats (I didnt measure it)
Some craisens (just eyeballed it)
a couple handulfs of pellets (didnt even mash them)

Just mix all together, and put on cookie tray, cook on 425 for 15-20 minutes (or until golden brown, and dark brown around edges)

I just took them out, so hopefully the bunnies will like them :biggrin2:

Bunnys_rule63 wrote:

Millieeatingcookie.jpg
Oh, that is precious! My bunnies will be so fat they can't walk if I start feeding them cookies!

If I may, I have a rat treat recipe that I think bunnies would love too! The original recipe is by Suebee from the Goosemoose Rats Rule forum and is posted on this website: http://www.ratsrule.com/recipes.html

But here is how I changed it to make it bunny friendly:

Fruity Rabbit Treats

2 overripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (they make unsweetened varieties like blueberry apple that would be good)
3/4 cup oats (instant or non-instant, doesn't matter really)
3/4 cup pellets, ground in a food processor
3/4 cup whole wheat flour (may need more or less)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup dried banana slices (try Just Bananas brand, don't use the chips with sugar and oil), crushed into pea sized bits

Mix apple sauce and bananas together until well incorporated. Stir in ground cinnamon, then oats and dried bananas. Stir in ground pellets. Continue to mix in flour, about 1/4 cup at a time, at first with a spoon and then your hands. You should end up with a stiff dough that doesn't stick to your hands. Roll the dough into snakes and slice into small pieces. Arrange the pieces in a single layeron a large greased cookie sheet (you should be able to fit them all on 1) and bake at 450 for about 7-10, or until lightly browned. Let them cool completely, then feed to the pets! The recipe makes a big batch, but they keep well in the freezer so you won't run out! Cheaper and healthier than store bought treats.

I changed this recipe so it has apple sauce and half pellets/half flour, per suggestions of people here. Is it okay now do you think? THANK YOU for your help!

SnowyShiloh wrote:
I think this recipe is healthy for bunnies, someone please let me know if it is not!
Yummy!

I think the only thing I would change (if I were making it for bunnies) would be to use less peanut butter (maybe just a little for taste) and then substitute the flour with some ground pellets. That should make it a little healthier.

These are great. Keep em coming guys :biggrin2:

I think I'm going to change my treat recipe because I'm not sure if bunnies should have peanut butter. I didn't find much info about it online. I think you could try using unsweetened apple sauce instead of the peanut butter though! Off to change it now...

I have a question,

I made bunny cookies awhile back, and after a few days they molded.

I just made the ones Haley posted, so how should I store them? I have them in a rubbermaid in the fridge...

What do you guys do?

Phinnsmommy wrote:
TK, the difference between rolled oats and instant oatmeal oats is that instant oatmeal oats are more finely ground, so they dont have to cook for as long as rolled.

Im making some cookies right now, they have

1 finely grated carrot
2 mashed bananas
a couple handfuls of instant oatmeal oats (I didnt measure it)
Some craisens (just eyeballed it)
a couple handulfs of pellets (didnt even mash them)

Just mix all together, and put on cookie tray, cook on 425 for 15-20 minutes (or until golden brown, and dark brown around edges)

I just took them out, so hopefully the bunnies will like them :biggrin2:
Does the instant oatmeal have too much sugar in it??? I am thinking of the oatmeal in the one serving packets...the plain flavor....

Latest posts

Back