Why Do I Even Go Into Pet Stores Anymore????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome FrenchLopGirl1280 and Con-man. :) :)

I just love that kids have gotten grounded from pet stores.

Stephanie,

Dave is going to have to ground you too because you can't be trusted in pet stores.

What a great solution! I never realized that that's what I'm doing.I've grounded myself from them because they're just not healthy placesfor me to visit. I feel guilty that I can't take every one home andgive them a wonderful life.

-Carolyn

* * I've grounded myself from thembecause they're just not healthy places for me to visit. I feel guiltythat I can't take every one home and give them a wonderful life.**

uh oh quick someone groundme too , but then someone elsewill have to get my rats for me lol .

JimD wrote:
I don't know why, but I can see the young bunnies and then walk away without one.

But when it an older bunnie, especially if I know it's been ther a while, I have a hard time not wanting to take them home.

That's how we ended up with Chippy. She had been in the pet store longenough to have 2 litters. We estimated that she was about 9-10 monthsold when we got her.

~Jim

I'm a total sucker for the unwanted ones too there is just something about them that just cries out to be taken home.

when we bought jack i was looking at the buns in the shop and saw asign about a 5 month dwarf lop that had been in a fight that they keptout back please ask the store assistant for help... so i made hubby askthem to bring him out and the first time i saw him torn ear and antisocial behaviour aside i had to have him.

Now,even though they said he could never have a friend, we have 2 beautiful buns who get along just peachy ...

my hubby now makes me leave my purse and his wallet in the car when we go in the pet shop :(i wonder y? lol xx

I'd like to ground myself from the farm store,and the petstore. But if I did that I wouldn't be able to get my bunnyand guineapig supplies. Everytime I go into the farm store I almostwant to cry when I see how they care for the baby chicks and ducks. Thewaterbins are always nasty caked with poop at two to three inches deep.They are way overcrowded with them. There's always some man or womanwith their family manhandling the poor things, making them cry,excetra. And nobody does nothing about it. The rabbits are picked upand dropped back into the water bin.

I was in a local tsc tractor supply to look at their breyer horses lastweek. They had purebred quality polish, and californain satins forsale. all the chick and duck bins were very clean, and not overcrowded. They looked like a saint compared to the farm store. Sad thingis is the pet supplies plus, and tsc are both hearing complaints onfamily farm and homes animal care policies.

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to go in thereanymore. We don't even buy supplies from that place! Usually I go tothis store called Pet Valu or the big chain Petsmart. Yeah, Petsmartsells animals, but no rabbits (the one here anyway). Ok, they dohavea Humane Society setup there, and I made the mistake ofwandering over and saw this rabbit there....

stephanie, i've seen that rabbit. i think i saw him (her?)like two weeks ago? i can't believe he's still there!

i recently went to this pet store that just expanded and therefore gotsome bunnies and i think they were really well cared for because theywere only about 1 month or 2 and they would run over to me for pets anddidn't mind being held.iwas really surprised! theywere gone in two days.

Isn't he beautiful Crescent??? (It's the pet store in the St. Laurant mall btw)

All thebaby rabbits are gone in 2.2, but this poor guy..... ugh.

I wish I could go to petstores and play with their rabbits and animals so they could be used to people handling them.

The petstore I go to doesn't really spend time with their rabbits, butmostly with the birds and I don't think that's fair, but they're a goodstore otherwise.

I know I can't work there, I just want to socialize with the animals in my free time, so other people can enjoy them.

I guess I'm pretty lucky here. Only onepet store here gets rabbits in once in awhile. They are gone prettyquick. The Spca once in awhile will have a rabbit but even those areadopted after a day or two.

My down fall right now are poor little pasty butt chicks and the ducks at TSC;);):p

Tina

stanleysmommy wrote:
I wish I could go to petstores and play with their rabbitsand animals so they could be used to people handling them.

The petstore I go to doesn't really spend time with their rabbits, butmostly with the birds and I don't think that's fair, but they're a goodstore otherwise.

I know I can't work there, I just want to socialize with the animals inmy free time, so other people can enjoy them.
There is a placeclose to here that does not spend time with their rabbits... The cagesare open topped glass cages. They always stink really bad even though(sometimes) they look clean. The bunnies are pretty nice but theyreally spend time with the birds. They have at least one bird on theshoulder every minute we are there.

Oh my gosh.

We ate at a restaurant tonight that was next to a SuperPetz and theyhad several bunnies. They had three Dutch bunnies that wereso adorable. One was brown and white, one was beige and whiteand one was dark grey and white. They had two black dwarfswith white spots on their noses and there were two white bunnies, onewith blue eyes. I wanted to take them ALL home.They only had pellets to eat, no hay and there were about ten in onecase. Poor things. I wonder how long they staythere like that. They all looked pretty young and were prettylively. A couple of them were binkying all over the place!

I limit myself to one pet store, because they'vereally got their act together and seem to have great policies regardingtheir animals. They hardly ever have rabbits,and they hadno bunniesfor sale theentire monthsurrounding Easter! :D

They have lots of fish, a few birds (smaller species, no parrots),mice, hamsters, gerbils, and sometimes rats, the occassional ferret orrabbit(s), and a couple guinea pigs. They're never overcrowded, and theanimals are always provided with the right foods (even fruits andveggies) and are kept in nice cages (the bunnie's pen has three solidwalls, and a nice little box for them to hide out in.

They also coordinate with the shelter I volunteer for, and they usuallyhave a cat in the store that is up for adoption. Right now it's a sweetlong-haired orange kitty named Lucy. She gets run of the store whilethey're opening and closing, and then gets to hang in a good sizedkitty playpenthe rest of the day, whilebasking intheattentionof customers.

Of course, it helps that they have a boatload of animal supplies andthe brands of cat food we buy :cool:But there are sooo manyother pet stores in our area that are absolutely abyssmal regardingtheir animals, I'm happy to give these guys our business. There havebeen petstores that have made me ill at the sight of their pooranimals, I just avoid them at all costs.

Stephanie wrote:
Petsmart sells animals, but no rabbits (the one here anyway
Ours dosent either.:? I wonder why not? I go into petsmart alot too. Iprobally would have 20 buns if they sold them though, lol:dude:, maybeits a good thing.

Sara and Duncan

I always have trouble not taking home the biggerbuns. At the store where I work, we hold buns for 1 week andhave them looked at by our vet, but honestly they aren't there for verylong after that. We never have them for over a week.

I wouldn't be able to ignore a giant chinchilla. I wouldn'tbe able to ignore anything large. The biggest we ever haveare mini lops. I honestly don't know how stores find homesfor the larger buns.

Jen

Petsmart doesn't sell rabbits because they can beadopted, that is also why they don't sell dogs or cats (although manystores do have cats available via adoption). I was fortunate theydidn't or else I would have alot more bunnies since I used to workthere lol.

I went down to the SPCA today because I noticed that they had somerabbits in, and I wanted to go check in and maybe socialize them a bit.When I got there only one of the four siblings was left, and he wastrying desperatly to nap. He was in a nice big clean area though, onlyproblem was he had nothing to hide in, but I guess if he really wantedto he could have hidden under the shredded paper they were using forhis bedding (there was alot of it!)

I had to do a lot of convincing myself not to get him. I just askedthem to give him a cardboard box to hide in and left. :( Someday we'llhave room for three, but not yet.

The place I got Corky and Homer from like tocarry their bunnies around with them while working...they alsoencourage people that come in to hold them...they appreciate them beingsocialized...when Corky picked me they had them in this huge pen theyhad built out of landscaping bricks so people could reach down and petthem etc....as a result the bunnies they sell are pretty wellsocialized. Corky is extremly easy going and loves tocuddle....Homer is also very tame, but not as patient with being held.

I just got back from a restauranttonight. Before supper we were checking out thedifferent pet stores. There are a lot of Easterbunnies left over and the rabbits are getting biggernow. One store had seven bunnies in acage. The bigger and olderrabbits arestored in a wire cage by themselves. They arehaving sales with a $10.00 discount, orfree with a starter kit.

Rainbows! :(

Latest posts

Back