Why Do I Even Go Into Pet Stores Anymore????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Reaction score
I swear, I really need to stop going into the petstore that sells rabbits in the mall. Especially when I see the samebeautiful rabbit in there for weeks going into months at a time. Itjust breaks my heart.

There is a Giant Chinchilla that has been in this store for at least amonth. He's GORGEOUS. When he first came he was very scaredof people, but todayhe was sucking up the pettings I wasgiving him. It just tore at me though, he had no hay and no toys. Theyhave him in the middle of the store, right in the main stream ofthings, in a big pen. No cage, no covering for him to feel safe.

To make matters worse, they have him reduced down to $25. Now, we justcannot afford a fourth rabbit right now. We don't have an extra cagelarge enough for him, and it's just expensive to neuter rabbits in ourarea ($200). However, both my husband and I know that if we had theextra money, we'd get him in a heartbeat.

Long story short: I really need to stop going in there to see the babybunnies, especially when they have this other one I'd love to have andcan't.

Very much so. We were both upset when we walkedout. I know $25 isn't much money, but when you add in a new cage, thevet bill, food, hay, all of that, it really adds up. Right now we justcan't be spending extra money like that.

Same thing is happening to me.

For six weeks now I've been checking up on a black and white dutch whohas been kept in a 3 X 3 glass pen with notop. At night he would jump over to another pen, oranother bunny would jump into his and have terrible fights.I've seen the bite marks and scars.

Last Saturday......he wasn't there any more. Iasked around, and the staff told me they shipped him out to anotherstore because he just wasn't selling.

Rainbows! :(

I don't know why, but I can see the young bunnies and then walk away without one.

But when it an older bunnie, especially if I know it's been ther a while, I have a hard time not wanting to take them home.

That's how we ended up with Chippy. She had been in the pet store longenough to have 2 litters. We estimated that she was about 9-10 monthsold when we got her.

~Jim

I know how you feel! Volunteering at myhumane society really does a number on my heart...actually, I gave inand adopted a rabbit on monday.....but my mom says to never take herthere because it makes her too upset! I feel so sorry forrabbits, because, as hard asthis may be to face, the truth isthatthe majority of them will not get sold...people justaren't interested...they go looking for a dog or a cat...::sigh::

-Vanessa

I know how you feel. I have to deal with thateverytime I hit up the feedstore. They just don't take care of theirrabbits anymore like they used to. Kinda the same way with thepetsupplies plus. Though PSP is a little better cause they at least putforth the effort to try with the bunnies, and see a vet when they aresick. But, I have personally removed sick animals from both stores. Ihave a gift for having a sharp eye, and knowing when something is wrongwith I have put my hands on for the first time. I inform the employeeseverytime what they are doing wrong. It doesn't do any good.So my other option is to buy the animal just to get it out of there,and either keep it as a pet. Or try and find it a home.

If you think the poor rabbit is not being taken care of, then by allmeans try to find a way to get him out of there. And then say somethngto the manager. If they don't listen then keep on them about it. Apetstore is no place for a gaint chin. Someone else is gonna buy it,and not realize that its gonna get up to about 15 pounds or bigger. Andwhen it outgrows its cage they may bring it back and yell at theemployees for it. Or they would dump it at a shelter, or in my caseanother breeder. Or let it die. God only knows what will happen to itif the wrong person gets ahold of it.

I know I work ata pet store but I stillcompletely agree, our store is not the greatest because very rarely,only once a day, do the buns get out for a good run. But at least wegive them hay and have decent cages, and patrons are not allowed totouch them forchance they may be carrying something.

However, I am currently in my second year of business, and I did thePet store for one of my projects. Part oftheprojectwas to check out the competition. One store I enteredhad all the bunnies together in one rather tiny, maybe 3'X3'glass pen and like twenty buns, with no top, toys, or hide outs. Thecage was filthy, and the waterwas in one bowl and wasdisgusting.Not only that but the bin was at the very front ofthe store so every person in the mall stopped by to pet them. I washorrified. But like I said, I am a student and funds are beyond limitedso I just asked them to change the water and I have never been back.

It definitely helped me to better understand why breeders don't likeseeing animals in pet stores. You can really tell when the owner is init for the money not the animals :(, sad thing is I think that is thedirection my boss is moving!

Lisa

Yeah some breeders don't like seeing theirbunnies in petstores. Lets face it no good breeder would put theirbabies in a situation like that. Alot of petstores/feedstores gettheirs from the mill types, or from anyone who is breeding around thearea without really doing anything with the rabbits, but just breedingand raising to get a little extra money. Ive seen at least twentyrabbits ranging from 4 weeks to 4 months of age or older kept in a feedbin at the farm store. Either they would have no feed, be fed junk cornbased cheap food, and the dishes would all be dirty. The PSP keeps themin a glass thing. Last week they had about 15 young rabbits in theglass thing, and several mature adults in a large cage. The sad thingis that everytime you buy a bunny from the store, they always bring inalot more to replace it.

We have a Debbie's Pet Land down here in one ofthe malls, and I hate it. We went to the mall yesterday, andthe rabbits are in the front in a large glass case that goes from thetop of the store to the bottom. There was about ten babies,all about the size of my palm, they looked to young to besold. They had a water bowl, and I'm not even sure how muchventelation they were getting. They werent being held oranything, and they were all huddeling together. They had no hide outseither and the entire mall could see them.

yeah thats how i got my first pet ever. I got arabbit a 4 months ago. I went into a pet store with no intention ofgetting a pet, and having no idea how to take care of a pet, and walkedout with an albino holland lop. im really glad i got him. he seems tohave really taken to me and its only been 4 months

Stephanie,

I have to force myself to stay out because I always walk out depressed.I literally won't even let myself look over in their directionsometimes so that I won't be tempted to go in.

-Carolyn

I know, I swear, it's like a trap for people like us. I mean, look at how I ended up getting Valuran.

That boy is still on my mind actually. :(

This is just an idea, but if you have the time/and money, a good one. You could start your own backyard rescue. I reada book called canine-caper (a true book about this lady who quit herjob to start a backyard shelter). Everything worked out for her. Shehas saved millions of animals and is doing great (though never hasmoney). It even has pictures in it of the animals she saved. She evenhad a great job that she had for years as an accountant never likedanimals, saw a dying dog, and it changed her life.

I do know everyone can't do this!! And it is a crazy idea. buta nice dream!

I run my own rabbitry plus take in unwanted/sickrabbits. I also get wild ones from time to time, because of all thecats in town getting ahold of them. Or people just not leaving themalone. I just released 3 wild buns last night.

It is a nice dream, but not something I canindulge in right now. Our apartment is too small, we have three rabbitsand two cats and need to save money.

Hi, I'm new. :D

I went to the mall and while I was walking in I sawthese tiny baby bunnies that aren't even 8 months old I think and theywere all sleeping or cuddling together. I think I saw 2 harlequins, alot of dutch and much much more. There were about 10. I just wanted totake everyone home with me. I hate pet stores with this type of sellingpets without a mom and that they are younger than they are suppose tobe sold at the age. I love hareliqiuns but I don't have any but I justwant one or two but I don't have the room. I hope the bunnies find nicehomes and survive at their young age.:?

Thanks,

FrenchLopGirl1280

:dude:

Well, my mom grounded me from the pet store. Iknow have to make a list of the things I want from the pet store andmake sure I get all brand names right because we always ALWAYS end upwith at least one new animal (if not more)

yeah one of my friends was grounded from the petstore. she went in to take a look and they had holland lops on sale andshe walked out with one. her mom wont let her go there again. thats howi ended up with mine, but i was living by myself in an apartment at thetime so it was ok. my landlords were really corrupt so i moved backwith my parents after 6 months. they got me back, and a rabbit.

Latest posts

Back