Warning

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucy/Thumper

Reaction score
I belong to an Old English Sheep Dog chatroomalso. The Adm. of the site posted a warning todaystating raisins and grapes aredeadly for dogs wheningested. Since these are such common rabbit treats I thoughtit was worth passing on. I know Lucy is always trying to getinto Thunpers food. For what is worth.

Hope I didn't offend anyone by talking about dogs on this site.

I'm sure no one will be offended by doggie talk :) I love dogs! I wish I could have one! lol.

Anyway, thanks for the advice! I'm sure the dog owners will be happy toget the warning since health and happiness is the number 1 concern forour pets, whether it be rabbits, dogs, cats or whatever :)

Thank you for the info Lucy. We have aJack Russell and occasionally give him a couple grapes orraisins. I looked up a couple sources and the syndromeappears to be similar to that of "grass poisoning" in horses which cancause founder, colic and death.

The problem seems to be more related to gorging on a food the animal isnot normally accustomed to eating, sometimes resulting in a fatalchemical reaction in theGI tractsuch as when apellet raised rabbit is given handfuls of grass.

For this reason it is highly advised to make diet changes slowly and offer treats in moderation.

Pam

Thanks Lucy! No offense taken--only gratitude offered. I shall pass italong to my loved one's who have dogs and will include Pamnock'scomments as well.

We used to have a Shetland Sheepdog. You almost have to be partialbeautician to tend to sheepdog's coats. Jack Russells are my niece'sfavorite type of dog. Those little ones sure have tall attitudes!

It was very thoughtful of you to post this. Thanks for sharing this important information, and thank you, Pam, for the details.

-Carolyn

Ackkkkkkk -- After gorging myself on jelly beans,I think I know how those poor animals feel :(

Everyone have a happy day tomorrow and remember to go easy on the candy :p

Pam

*laughs* I just saw this note about you and your jellybeans, Pam.

Happy Easter to You!

I hope you understand that I am not a dogperson, butI still hope to see dogs on the street with theirowners. I never knew that raisins or grapes can be fatal in dogs.Thanks for the tip, anyway! Have a happyEaster!!!

Latest posts

Back