Wadding pool for cage?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I myself think it's way to big for a litterbox. Use the NIC cubes to make a good size cage then get litter boxes with high sides.

Unfortunately having rabbits tends to mean stray pieces of hay around your house. If that is a big deal maybe rabbits are not the right pet for you.

Susan:)

I might suggest something easier.

I got an 18 gallon tote container for like 5 bucks and cut an entrance with a utility knife. I use it as a litter box and I have a litter screen, so I put the hay in there. The high walls make it so I get maybe three stands of hay that fall out a day. :)

It is a novel idea for sure! You probably COULD make levels too if you use the dowel rod method to support the floors of the levels... if that makes sense. If you are using a dowel to support the floor you can have a board cut to fit the curve for the second level. I can picture it in my mind easier than I can explain it though but it could be pretty neat. A circular cage will take up more room than a square cage of roughly the same size just because you can't back it against a wall or in to a corner but it could definitely work. I'd add some flooring to the bottom of the pool though so that the bun isn't walking around on the plastic all the time.

Nelsons_Mom wrote:

I got an 18 gallon tote container for like 5 bucks and cut an entrance with a utility knife. I use it as a litter box and I have a litter screen, so I put the hay in there. The high walls make it so I get maybe three stands of hay that fall out a day. :)
We used a tote (a much larger one, but a tote none the less) with an entrance cut out of it for a nesting box for our mama. The kits were a surprise and were born in her litter box so we had to move them immediately. Our doe had lived the first several months of her life in an 18 gallon tote (imagine LIVING in it full time... that's why we rescued her!) so she was comfortable with that kind of a space and we didn't want to throw her off completely with suddenly building a true nesting box for her after the fact. It worked out well though until the kits got big enough to start getting out. The second litter of kits used the same tote (again, surprise pregnancy... thanks kids!) but the second litter was way more active and on day 3 we had our first escapee.

MyJuneAngel wrote:
Nelsons_Mom wrote:

We used a tote (a much larger one, but a tote none the less) with an entrance cut out of it for a nesting box for our mama.  The kits were a surprise and were born in her litter box so we had to move them immediately.  Our doe had lived the first several months of her life in an 18 gallon tote (imagine LIVING in it full time... that's why we rescued her!) so she was comfortable with that kind of a space and we didn't want to throw her off completely with suddenly building a true nesting box for her after the fact.  It worked out well though until the kits got big enough to start getting out.  The second litter of kits used the same tote (again, surprise pregnancy... thanks kids!) but the second litter was way more active and on day 3 we had our first escapee. 
That is sad that someone could do that to a rabbit.

Yes, it is. The poor thing couldn't even stretch out fully to lay down. We cared for her one weekend while they went away on vacation and the first thing I did was take her out of that awful tub. They had her food in there (she was also never given hay, only pellets and the occasional piece of lettuce) and there was a water bottle connected to the inside of the tote handle with a wire. They kept a mesh over the top of it so she couldn't get out. Very little air circulation like that either. It hurt me. I was glad when they decided to get rid of her a few weeks after their trip. We were happy to get her!

MyJuneAngel wrote:
Yes, it is. The poor thing couldn't even stretch out fully to lay down. We cared for her one weekend while they went away on vacation and the first thing I did was take her out of that awful tub. They had her food in there (she was also never given hay, only pellets and the occasional piece of lettuce) and there was a water bottle connected to the inside of the tote handle with a wire. They kept a mesh over the top of it so she couldn't get out. Very little air circulation like that either. It hurt me. I was glad when they decided to get rid of her a few weeks after their trip. We were happy to get her!
What a great, happy ending for the bunny.

It seems you are suggesting using the pool as a base for a cage, not as a litter box. I think those pools can make a very good floor. If you are using NIC cubes you can make rounded cages with levels, but you will need to overlap some panels and fit the wood properly. I am not sure how much hay they will keep in since some buns tend to toss it around. Good Luck :)

Latest posts

Back