2 week old orphaned kit with yellow but firm poop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jillycalpin

Reaction score
I’m taking care of a baby who lost its mom in birth. I was following Dr Dana Krempels from University of Miami biology department protocol for orphan kits. She was getting a formula of goats milk, egg yolk, colostrum and probiotic. The first week she was growing like a weed, eating like a champ, and having normal poop. However on day 7 she developed yellow diarrhea. She had it for 2 days and I’m amazed she survived that long with it. I switched her over to the fox valley formula with goats milk instead of water as she was behind on weight from being sick. Slowly her poops went back to normal but now she is having yellow colored poops but they are completely firm. Last night I started adding acidophilus to her formula because I was thinking maybe she wasn’t fully digesting and that’s why the poop was close to the color of her formula. However after a couple feedings with it they are still a golden color. Is this caused by a bacterial infection in her intestines? Does she need an antibiotic? Is it safe to give a 2 week old kit antibiotics? What antibiotics work well for rabbits? Are their rabbit savvy vets that will somehow see her virtually? I’ve tried to take her to the vet but the only exotic vet in my area does not have any experience with rabbits this young and suggested just giving her kitten milk and seeing if it goes away🤔. Also any advice on any aspect of caring for her from anyone who has successfully raised orphan kits is welcomed and appreciated. This baby has fought so hard to stay alive against all odds and I want to do anything I can for her❤️

I’m taking care of a baby who lost its mom in birth. I was following Dr Dana Krempels from University of Miami biology department protocol for orphan kits. She was getting a formula of goats milk, egg yolk, colostrum and probiotic. The first week she was growing like a weed, eating like a champ, and having normal poop. However on day 7 she developed yellow diarrhea. She had it for 2 days and I’m amazed she survived that long with it. I switched her over to the fox valley formula with goats milk instead of water as she was behind on weight from being sick. Slowly her poops went back to normal but now she is having yellow colored poops but they are completely firm. Last night I started adding acidophilus to her formula because I was thinking maybe she wasn’t fully digesting and that’s why the poop was close to the color of her formula. However after a couple feedings with it they are still a golden color. Is this caused by a bacterial infection in her intestines? Does she need an antibiotic? Is it safe to give a 2 week old kit antibiotics? What antibiotics work well for rabbits? Are their rabbit savvy vets that will somehow see her virtually? I’ve tried to take her to the vet but the only exotic vet in my area does not have any experience with rabbits this young and suggested just giving her kitten milk and seeing if it goes away🤔. Also any advice on any aspect of caring for her from anyone who has successfully raised orphan kits is welcomed and appreciated. This baby has fought so hard to stay alive against all odds and I want to do anything I can for her❤️
3268A68A-4F88-4ABE-8573-D876F9925E51.jpeg
Not sure if the photos I attached uploaded so here’s another picture of her poop just incase

Yellow diarrhea is a sign of e. coli. It can be pretty serious if the diarrhea continues, usually it's fatal if not treated promptly. Because your bunny is still alive and the diarrhea has firmed back up, that may be hopeful. But those poops still aren't normal, so it may mean that there is still e. coli present, and/or there's been some damage caused to the digestive tract.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Colibacillosis

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/exot...bbits?mredirectid=488#Colibacillosis_v3306535

The bunny probably still needs to be put on a course of an appropriate rabbit safe antibiotic. I'm not sure which would be used for such a young bunny. Baytril is most commonly used for e coli in older rabbits I think, but it can't be used in young animals. SMZ/TMP might be a possibility.

www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm

If you don't have a knowledgeable rabbit vet near you, a local vet may be able to do a phone consult with an experienced rabbit vet to get the correct treatment info.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Florida

Since you've already been to a vet for this, I'd suggest trying phoning them up and asking for an antibiotic prescription for the bunny for you to pick up.

You can try researching what the correct antibiotic would be for rabbits that have this so you know what antibiotic to request from the vet. Make sure it's rabbit safe, as some oral antibiotics are dangerous if given to rabbits. Or just ask for a sulfa trim antibiotic suspension and try that. I've given smz/tmp to my rabbits for other types of infections in the past. It's usually pretty safe and rarely causes issues, provided an animal doesn't have the rare severe reaction to sulfa meds.

And also I'd suggest continuing with the probiotics. I've read research that showed it helped protect the digestive tract in baby rabbits.

Latest posts

Back