Vanilla in drinking water?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackiesmum

Reaction score
I have read about adding vanilla to a rabbit's drinking water.

What does this do or why would you add it?

Is this the same vanilla extract I use in cookies?

If this is beneficial to Blackie, how much would I add to say a cup of water?

Thanks,

Mary

[align=center]PreventingFly Strike with Vanilla Extract[/align]
[align=left]I add approximately one teaspoon of vanilla flavoringextract, real or artificial, to one gallon of drinking water in aneffort to reduce fly strike and warbles by reducing the number of fliesin and about our rabbits. Seems that the vanilla odor withinthe urine andstool is repugnant to flies and tends to drivethem away.[/align]
[align=left]The measurement is not terribly critical and moreoften than not, I just eyeball the amount added to the water until itchanges color. Most people won't accept such an unspecifiedamount, so I give the "exact" measurement to make them feel at easewith it.[/align]
[align=left]Vanilla flavoring also serves to encourage buns to drinkmore water, which is a coincidental positive factor.[/align]
[align=left]I learned of this practice years ago on the old Rabbit WebMessage Board, so I would not want to take credit as the initiator ofthe practice, though I doubt one could ever find such a person,anyway. It has probably been part and parcel of good rabbithusbandry for years in the past, as it is a homeopathic remedy, afterall.[/align]
[align=left]--Buck Jones[/align]

Vanilla extract has been used as a fly repellantfor many years, however, I doubt it has much effect when put in thedrinking water due to the fact it has to be applied so frequently whenapplied topically.

You'll note that it certainly stop flies from getting on the cookies LOL

Pam

Doc Pam, it plays better the way that you had itthe first time. ;) It was tinged with irony andfacetiousness. HILARIOUS! :D

Pam

Do you know if you can use vanilla to keep flies away on horses at all?As my friend has 2 horses and she would use it if she can?

I have bought some vanilla extract today for my bunnies. How many dropsdo you think I would need to put in their water bottle it is a mediumsized bottle about 1/2 pint in size and they drink about 3/4 of thisbottle between them every day?

Sue

My parents have anoutside kennel for their dog. While I wholeheartedly disagree withputting the dog out there, do you think vanilla in her water woulddiscourage flies?

Foofy wrote:
Pam

Do you know if you can use vanilla to keep flies away on horses at all?As my friend has 2 horses and she would use it if she can?

Sue

Vanilla is often used on horses, but must be frequently re-applied.

Pam

Elf Mommy wrote:
My parents have an outsidekennel for their dog. While I wholeheartedly disagree with putting thedog out there, do you think vanilla in her water would discourageflies?

Sweet lime to keep the urine odor down would work better.

Pam

Not the lime -- it is applied to the ground ormanure piles. Can also be used in rabbit cage pans, but has atendency to build up into a cement-like material that has to bescrapped out of the pan. The pelleted lime works better inthe pans or on cement floors.

Pam

Yes, you can wipe it right on the coat.However, as I mentioned, it takes frequent re-application which can bemore expensive than simply buying flyspray and a face mask.

Pam

Foofy,

one teaspoon per gallon, or half a teaspoon per half gallon, or onequarter teaspoon per quart, or one eighth teaspoon per pint...or, moresimply, add vanilla until the water begins to discolor...doesn't takemuch. This is not rocket science and I've read no reports ofbuns becoming addicted or suffering ill effects from its use.

Water consumption may increase if your bun(s) like the flavor.

Buck

Dear Buck and others,

Just wanted to share a tidbit I found out about the vanilla.Pure vanilla extract has alcohol in it, not a good thing forbuns. The imitation does not contain the alcohol so is betterfor the buns. Both work equally well as far as the flies go,so be safe and use the cheaper imitation stuff. Donna

Latest posts

Back