update on previous post

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littleboo

Reaction score
hi,

you may not remember but i posted on here a few weeks back about howworried i was that my bunny was swaying all the time. i was asked tokeep you informed on how she goes at the vets....

well i took her to the vets and he said there is nothing major wrongwith her but he thinks she has been born with an inbalance in herbrain, some form of brain damage. she probabaly been under nourished inthe womb or at birth. im glad shes not ill or anything and that shesgoing to stay with us! oh and heres some pics of her as requested,sorry there so big. also do any of you know what breed she maybe??? many thanks X

9570c5d5.jpg

f0b963c0.jpg

Well shes a Sable Point that I can tellyou. As to her breed um...mix breed...no clue.Definantly not himalayan. How much does she weigh?

What do you mean by swaying? As in her head weaving slowlyback and forth while shes sitting still? Does your bun have aruby glare to her eye at all? Sable Points occasionally willhave a slight ruby glare to their eye if viewed in the light hits hereye just right.

Rabbits with a ruby glare to their eye, such as Ruby-eyed White,Siamese Sables and Sable Points (there are more colors too...), will dosomething called scanning. When they scan the move their headslowly left to right as if they as somewhat weaving orswaying. This is completely normal and is not something wrongwith the brain. Scientists are still trying to figure out whyexactly they do it but it has nothing to do with a nervous systemissue. If I remember right they said it has something to dowith the ruby interfering with their sight so they scan to be able tosee properly. I'll see if I can find the website with thatstudy listed again.

Good to hear she's not ill! And I agree, looks like a Himalayan. Although her body is a little short..

sorry to sound dumb but whats a sable point?

and by her swaying i meant that she sways her head from left to rightthe whole time shes still, sometimes she does it to one side so farthat she topples over!

hehe...you replied as I was editing...so..

Rabbits with a ruby glare to their eye, such as Ruby-eyed White,Siamese Sables and Sable Points (there are more colors too...), will dosomething called scanning. When they scan the move their headslowly left to right as if they as somewhat weaving orswaying. I think it makes them look like they are reading abook...lol. This is completely normal and is not somethingwrong with the brain. Scientists are still trying to figureout why exactly they do it but it has nothing to do with a nervoussystem issue. If I remember right they said it has somethingto do with the ruby interfering with their sight so they scan to beable to see properly. I'll see if I can find the website withthat study listed again. I have a couple rabbits who dothis. Its perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.

Also ...Sable Point is hercolor. Defined as..a clear cream or almond color onthe body. There is a dark sepia brown on the nose, ears, feetand tail including the underside of the tail. The undercoloris light cream to off white. Eyes are Brown. Eyesmay have a slight ruby glare to them in the right lighting.

thanks for your info. i take you are a veryexperienced rabbit owner? maybe you could help with my other rabbit. ithink she is very overweight, she even has a double chin! i dont seehow because she has loads of excercise and is fed on pellets and hay.heres a pic of her so you can see...

b2a4db27.jpg

5c23822f.jpg

Hi glad to hear that the vet visit went well. Ihavered eyed white albinos and they scan. It was worrying tome at first as it is like a left to right swaying action when they aresat down or lay down. It is as if they are trying to focus.

Whether it is scanning or what the vet said at least we know she is ok.

You have one beautiful bun there!

Vickie

PS - Just noticed you live in Cheshire. Thats not too far from me :). I leave near Stalybridge, have you ever heard of it?

Vickie

That dubble chin is called a dew lap it doesntmean shes fat, most female buns have one. Its not that easyto tell but I think she looks ok do you know what she weighs, pelletscan be very fattening how much do you feed her?

daisynbuster ~ yeh she really is beautiful, verysweet natured and loves human company (unlike my other!) im so glad sheis ok though i was really worried about her but she is fine in herself.when i bought her, i chose her because she was the only bun that colourand she was the smallest (the runt). all the others were white withblack nose and red eyes (albino??? dunno) while she has brown eyes.

samandshawn ~ oh i thought her double chin ws a sign of obesity. shesmeant to be a dwarf lop but shes quite big. what weight is she supposedto be do you think as will weigh her tonight when im home?

Your other bun looks like a Broken Orange MiniLop (I think its dwarf lop for UK). Its hard to tell exactlyhow big she is from the picture..lol. Mini Lops areabout 5 to 6.5 lbs.

How much does your first bun weigh? That'd help a lot intrying to figure her breed. I do know she is 100% not ahimalayan.

Yes I am an experienced bunny owner...heh. I've had bunniessince August 1994 and was even the Rabbit Queen at my county fair backwhen I was in 4H. Ihad the highestshowmanship andrabbit quiz bowlscores for mycounty. :cool:

Ok..I went to the British Rabbit Council website to see what UK breed the lop is...lol.

Edited to add website link.. http://www.thebrc.org/breeds.htm

The little one would probably be a Sable Point (color name is forUSA..no idea what its called in the UK) Polish. Her bodystructure looks simular to the Polish on the BRC website.Though she could be a no mane lionhead hybrid too.

The lop...lol..shes not fat..she just has a dewlap which is something aLOT of does get. If I have it figured up right she is a DwarfLop (UK)..and would be referred to as a Orange Butterfly (UK) akaBroken Orange (USA). 4.5 would be just about right for aDwarf Lop.

The sable point in the first photo weighs 2.5pounds? She looks much larger. She's not a UKPolish -- they are the same as our US Petites. Very finedboned with small ears. If your sable point is that small, I'dguess it's a miniature lop that hasn't lopped or a mixed breed.

Pam

Hmm..okay. I'm not very familiar withthe UK breeds...lol. Well perhaps a No Mane Lionheadthen. If someone in the UK bred their Lionhead to aNetherland Dwarf it would explain the smaller size...however Lionheadsusually have shorter ears too. Blah! Iagree with Pam that the picture looks like a bun weighing a bit morethan 2.5 lbs. :) Just a mix breed I guess.

yeh on my scales she is 2.5lbs but thereprobably wrong! what weight should she be then? she is only verylightand tiny as shes still only a baby.

Latest posts

Back