Unwanted pregnancy. Great

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
** " Gypsy, I agree. Even though ivenever worked in rescue, I do have a general idea of what its like whenpeople dump unwanted accidental litters into rescues and sheltersbecause of this sort of thing. I'd rather see them go as pets toresponsible homes, or into my outlet so I don't have to worry aboutthem being abandoned or dumped somewhere. " **

Well said , Resuce canbeas heartbreakingand as wonderfull ascan be , I have a storyabout a Free rabbit that turnedup on mydoorstep justa few weeks ago ,theWoman on the phonesaid she had been givenfree rabbits by a familymemebr who thought her littleboy needed pets , ( Grrr ) wontgo there . She said she had toget rid of them asthe boy wasnt fond ofthem , So I said YesI would take one I only had 1free cage a t that time , I told herwhere to putHIM andto be sure to bring foodand water, and set him inthe garage where Iwould find it as soonas I returned home from work .

Needless to say I camehome from work went to thegarage Found the cage andprocedded to gett the cageprepared , got all that donewent over to take the littleguy out and WOW HOLD THEPHONE! something is amiss , theressomething moving in there !!!!! I start pokingaround and this womandidnt bring the male as she hadclaimed what she broughtme was A Female and 7babies!!!! talk about pissedoff well let me tellyou I was on thephone and letting the policeknow exactlly what shehad done , what shehad done was Abandon a motherand 7, 2 week old babies, Come to findout there was a male butit it mysteriously disapeared !, So I can assume shethought well we willjust dump these off and no onehome to know the differencetill its too late .:mad: Iguess I kinda did getthe upper hand of that case , the policeturned her in at the Aspca .

Dixonsrabbitry, I agree with you too. This isjust a bad situation all around, but if you can't find responsiblehomes for the babies then they are better off being humanelyslaughtered. At least the only home they will have known was a goodone! Actually, I always get asked why I have a pet rabbit becausethey're food animals. It's pretty common around here and I'm just usedto it. And then I tell them that their dogs are food animals to somepeople, too. :p

Ive dealt with my share of pet 'dumps.' Its notkool. Though most of mine are from people turning their pets loose intheir yards. There was one guy I caught that had been running loosehere for at least a coupl eof years. the police got complaints on himfrom the neighbors alot. But could never catch him. He got into thegreen house plants around the corner from me more then once. Butneedless to say when I did get ahold of him, and i went and hunted downhis owner. Returned him. He turned up in my yard again a couple of dayslater. Again, took him home. He came back a third time. I kept him.

Also rescued a mini lop once that was being neglected by his owners. But so were all the other animals they had. Grrrr.

Good for you with that lady. I wouldve done the same thing.

I kinda get the same thing too. "Don't ya eatem?' 'Ummm.....noooo.' But my favorite is this line, "That much for arabbit!" "They aren't worth that much!"

"See ya."

Albeit I will eat rabbit. But I cannot stomache butchering. So they get sold to a processing outlet.

:XThat's nuts, your more worried aboutthe few $'s your going to get from a zoo or whoever you sell "unwanted"to instead of worrying about the future of those porebunny's. You should at least try.and what's the bigdeal ifyou've got to give them away with a contract and makenothing off them? You'll still sell your full breads, my bunis a half breed and I wouldn't trade him in for all the cutest fullbreeds in the world. If I was anywhere near you I'd take themmyself, but don't.

I've never eaten a rabbit and will never do so. It's inhumaneto eat a pet. You wouldn't eat you cat or dog or guinniepigor mouse would you.... didn't think so.

I have to defend dixonsrabbitry. She sellsPUREBRED rabbits, which from what little I know often go to otherbreeder/show rabbit homes. She may not have the resources to find goodhomes for a whole litter of mixed breed pets. She needs to have a planfor them, and this is a perfectly acceptable one.

As I said above, one person's pet may be another person's meal. I liveacross the lake from her and rabbit meat is often part of the culture-especially in rural areas. I also know people from cultures where dogsand guinea pigs are eaten- guinea pigs are actually a Latin Americandelicacy. I've heard some people eat cats, but that is more restricted.

It's only inhumane if the animal is slaughtered wrong or if the animalis raised as a pet and then eaten at a later date. That would be like abetrayal of the animal's trust.

S2 andM2:

what part of this are you not getting ?She isnt doing this for money !People eat their pets everyday, I dobelieve you need off that soapbox beforeit comes crashing down on you . Its awell Known Fact in this Forum Irun Rescue and so do a fewothers on this board , You have GOT to understandone thing Shelters are full they are overwhelmedwith rabbits cats dogsetc, NOT to mentionIts frowned upon heavily that abreeder take in an accident litter . Imyself at this time am overwhelmed withrabbits whether and like it or not Dixon is doingthe correct thing .

1. I do not sell to zoos.

2.I sell culls to a meat outlet for PEOPLE FOOD.

3. I never said they would all be going as food in the first place.

4. I will not be making any money off of them! I get paid .85 a poundfor a bunny. A 3-5 pound bunny does make any money, if not enough tocover part of a feed bill. So get over that!

5. AS I said before. *note* the post I posted to you that you didn'teven bother to read. People take advantage of 'free pets.' They willnot spay or nueter a free pet. If they pay for a pet, then there's abetter chance of them spaying and nuetering! What don't you get aboutthat??? You want I should give them away to spo people that would onlyabuse and neglect them? Cause thats exactly what happens with alot offree pets.

6. People do eat guinea pigs, cats, dogs, and other pet animals. Thatsincludes rabbits. Because rabbits are a meat animal. And will always bebred as a meat animal.

7. Rabbits are not a free disposable pet.

Sorry to butt in, but ignorance really sets meoff... I read through the thread and not once did I see thatdixonsrabbitry's intention was just to have the rabbits sold for food.as I read teh thread i felt as if that would only be done as a lastresort. I fyou carefully read over the thread you will see that otheravenues were explored before the option of having them sold as foodcame up. when you walk into a shelter and see all those animals justlooking so depressed in their cages or when you hear the numerousstories of animal abuse and neglect... how could anyone in their rightmind let a bun go to an owner when this is a potential threat. youwouldnt willing put a bun in that situation would you? It isthehumane and the best option for these babies if suitablehomes cannot be found for them, they will never have to know theterrible conditions others have to go through! oh and i come from athrough and through italian family and ive eaten rabbits my entirelife. (my grandpa always jokes about BBQing my buns)Don;tconfuse social customs b/c what you may think is absurb is normal toanother and vice versa! :cool:

FreddysMom wrote:
(my grandpa always jokes about BBQing my buns :cool:

My dad does the SAME thing, he thinks Nimue would have a nice amount ofmeat on him to feed our faily for couple days! :shock: Then I tell himthat Nimue would eat him before he could he NIMUE!!!!!

:D

~Amy

As one of the people with a possible unwantedlitter, I've decided to speak up. I can't really speak aboutculling for meat. I don't think it's wrong, because as said,people eat "pets" all the time. My relatives raise cows, whentheir daughter was young, she had to constantly be reminded that thecows were not staying around. (Although,she fell inlove with 1, who got a name andlived out her life at thefarm. LOL)It's all part of eating meat.That said, I personally couldn't do it, I just couldn't eat rabbit orturn mine into food.

I will say that I completely agree about not giving freepets. First of all, you are completely correct, these animalsmost likely would never be spayed/neutered. Second, and thisis most important in my opinion, many animals, particularly smallanimals, that are "free" end up as food. They go to snakes orare used as bait for to train fighting dogs. I would muchrather see a rabbit go to be humanely slaughtered then meet either ofthese fates. If I end up with a litter, I'll sell them for areasonable price with a spay/neuter contract. I'm luckyenough that I think I could place a rather large litter withfriends/family.

Jen

dixon im in illinois and run a smallrescue. if willing maybe saying she did take that we couldmeet part way. i would have no problems taking in thebabies. i currently have a doe that came into rescueyesterday and thinking she may be preggy. shes a 9 month oldND mix and was kept in with two males ugghhh people can be sostupid lol shes got a huge firm belly so impositive she is expecting. i put in a nesting box lastnite. but feel free to email me[email protected]let me know how i can help. im more than happy too.

s2andm2 wrote:
:XThat's nuts, your more worried about the few $'syour going to get from a zoo or whoever you sell "unwanted" to insteadof worrying about the future of those pore bunny's.
Hmm actually I thought it was the future of the rabbits that Dixons wasthinking about. Shedoesn't want them to go to ahometo whomwill get rid of them or abandonthemso they end up with an unhappy life ina shelterall their lives. Like has been said before they will be spendinga happy time with her until the time comes for them to beslaughtered.

It soundsreally badfor someone like you and me tounderstand, but try to see it from her point of view here. She wouldn'tdo it if she felt there was another alternative. Better a short andhappy life than a lifetime of misery.

Dixons you must do what you feel is right.

Vickie

:XThat's nuts, your moreworried about the few $'s your going to get from a zoo or whoever yousell "unwanted" to instead of worrying about the future of those porebunny's.

When you have breeders that breeder pure breed animals and a mistakehappens that causes a mixed breed then they do what they haveto. when you have alot invested into your business it is hardto come upon a cross breed. I agree with dixon, the rabbitaryhas every right to do what they have to so that they can ensure aquality of animal. Am I safe to assume that if a bun isindead crossbreed then it can affect the litters in thefuture?

:?Sorry, I didn't mean foreveryone to get upset. I 'm sorry for that. I guessI just don't understand all that goes into breeding andselling. I just wish there was a better way to get rid ofthem. That is without shortening their lives and making surethey will have a good one all in the same. I guess breedingand raising as pets are in different catagories when it comes tocloseness in breeder/bun and owner/bun? Hopefully she's notpreg.:( Once again I didn't mean to get peopleupset.

:?Sorry, I didn't mean foreveryone to get upset. I 'm sorry for that. I guessI just don't understand all that goes into breeding andselling. I just wish there was a better way to get rid ofthem. That is without shortening their lives and making surethey will have a good one all in the same. I guess breedingand raising as pets are in different catagories when it comes tocloseness in breeder/bun and owner/bun? Hopefully she's notpreg.:( Once again I didn't mean to get peopleupset.:embarrassed:

I understand your situation completley..

I once had a cat that ranin our neighborhood that waspregnant and I took her in to have her babies.. Later to find out shehad an owner and they refused to take care of the kittens or get herspayed.. So I let her come in and out to take care of her babies andtried to find homes for them.. It was very hard for me, as I am a hugeanimal lover and cats are my biggest love (next to bunnies).. You neverknow who will get them, and always in the back of your mind you thinkthat they would probably willnot get the best care that youknow you could give them..

I am against selling animals for food, if there is a chance that theycould have a long and good life somewhere else, but I am not going tojudge you as you have to do what you have to do.. Everyone has theirown opinions about what is right and what is wrong..

Maybe you could get them spayed/neuterd yourself and have them pay forthe cost of that when they want to take them.. Have them fill out oreven answer some questions you have.. As in How many animals do theyown, how long have they owned them, Is there a problem if you want tocheck up on them..

Other than that I have no idea, but I do wish you luck and hope she is not pregnant..

Given my money and job situation, spaying andneutering is way out of the question right now. Otrherwise i would doit. But, I'd probably end up stuck with them for a very long timebecause people generally won't pay a high price for a pet like that.and I'd have to wait for the right person to come along. So again,they'd be taking up my cage space. As it is someone off this forum hasoffered to help out and possibly take them into her rescue if possible.:)

Latest posts

Back