Twitching - Is it serious, please help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellie248

Reaction score
I am wondering what could be wrong with myrabbit. She was perfectly fine Monday night. Tuesday morning I came outto water them and she wasn't. She was flopping and dragging around thecage like she couldn't move her hind legs and she kept circling andfalling over. I immediately moved her into quarantine, since she isright next to my new (and very expensive) buck. I thought she mighthave Wry neck (we have had this in our rabbitry before several times.)

But when my mom came home several hours later, I had her take a look.And she noticed that Peaches face was twitching. I mean her whole face.Her eyes were twitching from side to side, she twitched her head backand forth and back and forth with quick little twitches, and even her"eyebrows" were twitching.

We don't have any rabbit medicine (we do use Acid-Pak, but that's notreally medicine, and I had already put some in her water figuring ifshe had Wry Neck it might help). So my mom had me put collodial silverin both her ears and her water dish (it did help a rabbit we had with ascratched eye). Yesterday, I dosed her againbothearsmorning and night - and in her water - andslowly the twitching has slowed down. Today it seems to have stoppedall together. But she is still dragging her hind legs, although she ismoving better and not falling over or running into walls. And she's noteating very well either. Plus, she has these really hard, teeny-tinydroppings.

So does anyone have any idea what this could be? I never saw any of myrabbits with Wry Neck twitch like that, and her head never tilted.Could a minor ear infection cause something like that? Please help. I'mvery concerned for her (and my other rabbits. She's in quarantine, andwe dosed them all with c.silver, but still...)

Sara

if she's having trouble with her hind legssuddenly, its probally a neurological issue, stroke possibly? Could she have fallen and injured her spine?

In any case, I would recommend Getting her to a rabbit Savy vet Immediately.

:yeahthat

It sounds like a seizure but those can be caused by manythings. Serious infections, stroke, E. cuniculi infection(parasite that affects the nervous system), neurological damage, or aneurological disease. A good vet should be able to determinewhat the cause is and whether your other rabbits might be atrisk. It might be a communicable disease or a geneticneurological disease.

There are no rabbit vets anywhere around here. The only small animal vet we have doesn't know anything about them.

Anyway, we just kept giving her the c.s. in her water and put it in herears twice a day. In just two days, the head twitching had completelystopped and now she seems to be completely healed. She seems to be justa wee bit unsteady on her back legs still at times, but I've seen herdo that before when she was young.

So, I think she's going to be fine. Thank you all for your concern.

Sara

Latest posts

Back