Too old to spay/neuter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
everyone keeps telling me to get an older rabbit if I do decide to get a second. But most likely it will be an unaltered adult, I was even offered retired breeders from show lines. But I do not know how old is too old to spay or neuter. especially if they have been breeders.

If you adopt from a shelter most rabbits are already spayed/neutered and so many need loving homes! :)

There is only one rabbit shelter near here and they were my first choice. but ... Lets just say they are not really an option. Plus they rarely get in the breeds I am looking at.

Rescue is usually my first choice, even my turtles are from a rescue :) Cat and dog are rescues but not from a rescue.

the older the rabbit is the more likely complications can arise but that proves true with any animal or human. Most rescues, shelters neuter/spay before adopting out.

I would really love to get an already spayed/neutered animal and let my bun go and pick it out, unfortunately thats not really possible.

No its not necessary but it is what we want.

Part of why I will not adopt from there is you can not meet the animals before adopting.

Please I really just need to know how old the oldest to safely spay is, especially in a retired doe.

And for a male? I assume being a breeder doesn't really affect when you can safely neuter a buck.

I could probably get a young buck or doe and not worry about it but everyone says go for an adult.

Last edited:
I don't think there's an age limit on spaying or neutering, but for females that are over 3 years I think it's best to have a vet check to see if there are any signs of cancer before spaying. I've read this on another thread on this forum.

They say go for a adult cause a young rabbit's personality can and often does change when they hit bunny adolescence what is a sweet cuddly young rabbit can be aloof and grumpy adult. By going adult you will see the fully developed personality of the rabbit. And Buck or doe they all undergo anesthesia which holds risk to any bunny no matter gender so no it's not safer for a buck than it is for a doe.

Thanks. Whats the youngest I can tell their " adult personality" I would really like to get as close to this as possible.

The actual surgery due to it being more invasive can be more dangerous for a doe is what I was referring to.

That's hard to say, for my rabbit it has taken two years and a neutering to get him comfortable and calm enough to see his personality in full. With rabbits it takes time and trust for most of them to let us see their personality and they will still surprise you.

That's hard to tell because babies are usually really easy-going meaning they'll let you hold them and cuddle them etc. but once they hit puberty (3-4 months) they change, and then once they're fixed they might change again and become more calm and less aggressive so really it depends on the rabbit. Then there are some rabbits who's hormones don't change them at all. So it's difficult to put an age on when their personality becomes stable

I don't really need to know when their personality " becomes stable" I know they may change after a neuter. But I do need to pick out a rabbit who has already experienced hormones of becoming sexually mature.

I'm not really sure what you're asking. Rabbits hit sexual maturity at 3-4 months of age. That's when their hormones start to kick in.

Ok, I will look for a 6 month old and ask about lineage , any health problems in the line etc.

Plus thats still a good age to alter.

I was more worried I would fall in love with an older bun and not be able to safely alter it due to risk. but if I only look at buns 6 months to 1 year that should eliminate that.

even a young rabbit can die from the surgery, rabbits do not take the anesthesia very well. And as long as the rabbit's vet says they are healthy and could survive it then age doesn't matter the health of the rabbit does.

any animal can die in surgery but I really would like to limit the risks and everything I have read says its easier on young buns.

But ... As long as I have a healthy rabbit I can just get whoever is the best fit?

As long as I have a healthy rabbit I can just get whoever is the best fit?

that is THE best way to select a rabbit or any pet. Lineage means nothing unless your going to breed or show it. Pick one you LOVE AND ADORE.

Back