Thumper was killed today.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lucy/Thumper wrote:
Thank you all so much. I really need andappreciate your support. I't is 4:38 am and I haven't slept aminute. I am still unconsolably crying. I have tobe at work at 7:30 am and I will probably be a mess all day.I haven't talked to the owners yet. I just can't even do ityet. I wouldn't be able to get the words out. Thankyou again for your support! And thank you Buck for the rainbow bridgelink.

alison

I know it's going to be a difficult day for you, but know that you willbe in our thoughts. I'mso sorrythat youlost Thumper, and can't imagine how your heart must ache today.

Pam

You were the first one I thought of thismorning. I hope you didn't go to work today and get somemuch-needed sleep. I'm so sorry.

-Carolyn

I am sorry for your loss. I know thereis really nothing I can say or do that will make it better for you butknow if you need us-we're here for you.

Jen

I am so sorry. Its so horrible to lose a poor bunny like that, but you had no control of the situation. It was a destiny.

I think you should really go and talk to your neighbours or you shouldhave called the police. They can't let their dog run around like thatsince it can be a danger to kids and house pets.

But you should just know that it was not in any way your fault and youcould not have done anything different to save him. Its amazing youeven tried to wrestle the dog, I would faint.

I am so sorry. I just read this and my heart isracing. The very thought of what you witnessed, and the heartache youare feeling now....I'm so sorry. I wish there was something I could doto ease your pain. *hugs*

You are in all of our thoughts and prayers.

I too am very sorry to hear of your loss, ourhearts go out to you right now :( I agree with Carolyn andhope you get some much needed rest, you went through a horrible ordealand hopefully Rainbow Bridge along with everyone's support right nowwill help a little bit.

Thinking of you

Cher

You know you could probably sue the dog owner forthat - and get the dog put down. Personally I'd be over there with theshotgun, but if you prefer you could take legal action. Revenge isbittersweet, but so are some really good drinks and no one complainsabout them.

I just can not believe what I justread! I am SO sorry for you, I feel horrible that your bunnyis gone and even worse on how it happened:(. There will bemany people here thinking of you today, and rest assured this was notyour fault, you did give your bun a better life, that is forsure. It makes me angry that this dog was just able to runaround, obviously if it overpowered you and ran in your home it is anaggressive dog and should of been on a leash. I am sorryabout your bun and I am sure you must feel awful, but I am also gladyou were not physically hurt. Tracy

Slynk wrote:
Youknow you could probably sue the dog owner for that - and get the dogput down. Personally I'd be over there with the shotgun, but if youprefer you could take legal action. Revenge is bittersweet, but so aresome really good drinks and no one complains about them.

I would always get so mad at the dogs when something like this happenedin our neighborhood, but my husband always reminded me to remember thatit's the owners fault, not the dogs fault. (so shoot the owner, not thedog LOL)

Pam

You guys know I'm just kidding about shooting the owner -- ok?

I agree, what if the dog can hurt children if itcan run into people's homes like that. You should take a legal actionson your neighbours for the safety of the whole neighborhood.

i am very sorry to hear of your loss. Ican't imagine having to go through something like that and feeling sohelpless. I know no matter how much we tell you it is not your fault,you will still feel that it must be. But having anyone behuman or dog or what ever barge past you into your own home and attackwhat is most precious to you is in no way yourfault. A dog like that should be sucurly confined to theneighbors house and or yard. our thoughts are with you.

What a terrible thing to have to go through .:(I wish I could find the words to express to you the sorrowI feel for you right now . Try not to think of that horriblemoment- instead , try and think about the day you brought himhome , and the times you shared together . Also - consider adopting anew rabbit . I Lost my puppy not too long ago , one I had rescued (hehad been thrown in a ditch at 2 1/2 weeks old) and nursed and lovedwith all my heart . I got a new puppy the night I lost him - not as areplacement you understand , we can never replace the animals we haveloved . The new puppy helped me deal with my loss - gave me someone newto give my love to , and careingfor him , helpedmekeep my mind off the pain .

Meanwhile - I would definately have a "talk" with your neighbor , aboutresponsible dog ownership - it includes not leaving your dogloose.

I'm sorry for your loss . A prayer for you tonight , that tomorrow will be better .

I'm sorry for your loss. I would definitely filecharges against the dog owner. We lost our little papillon dog Lacey inmuch the same way. My Dad took Lacey outside so she could do her'business,' and the lady next door let her giant doberman out whileLacey was out and the doberman attacked Lacey and bit her and punturedher lungs. We had to have her euthenized at the vet. We filed chargesagainst the dog owner. The justice of the peace ordered the dog ownerto pay the vet bill and have the dog have a muzzle on whenever it wasout of the house. I know this is not much consolation, but yourneighbor has no business owning such a pet if they can't beresponsible for it.

pamnock wrote:
Slynk wrote:
You know youcould probably sue the dog owner for that - and get the dog put down.Personally I'd be over there with the shotgun, but if you prefer youcould take legal action. Revenge is bittersweet, but so are some reallygood drinks and no one complains about them.

I would always get so mad at the dogs when something like this happenedin our neighborhood, but my husband always reminded me to remember thatit's the owners fault, not the dogs fault. (so shoot the owner, not thedog LOL)

Pam

You guys know I'm just kidding about shooting the owner -- ok?
I understand what you are saying Pam, andI agree. An animal has natural born instincts and it is an ownersresponsibility to raise, train, love....and confine if necessary thatanimal. There may have been extenuating circumstances. I am aresponsible pet owner, but upon occasion my pets have gotten loose.Never the less, what happened is horrible and Thumper's Momma ishurting. All that any of us can do right now is be here to comfort andsupport her.

Raspberry

Slynk wrote:
Personally I'd be over there with the shotgun, butif you prefer you could take legal action.
Every now andagain I meet people who should be shot. Then there are those who shouldbe outright gutted. ("Is this a Joke" post)

Slynk,

Some of your comments on this forumare quite inappropriate and disturbing.

I'm sure I'm not the onlyone who would be grateful if youwere tokeep such thoughts to yourself. It's onething to be supportive, it's another thing to promote violence andhatred.I'm not against legal action, but thecomments about shooting something or someone or gutting themisout of line.

Please tone it down.

-Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn,

Being a newcomer to the forum, I felt uncomfortable saying anything about the more than angry posts.

I'm sure that there are enough emotions going on and it's really not necessary to fuel the fire under the hate.

Alison and Thumper with long be in my thoughts and prayers. No oneshould have to lose a cherished one this way. It make me realize howimportant mine are to me. There with be lots of hugs and kisses givenout tonight. Some special ones will be there for Thumper.

Thumper has crossed over the Rainbow Bridge and is happy and healthly.He'll be waiting for you, Alison. Our little Copper has crossed over,too. I know now that he'll have a "big brother" to watch over him andkeep him company until we join him. They're probably nuzzling rightnow, in the sun, on the grass......

JimD

And thank you, Jim, for also speaking up.

I can assure you that we're not the only ones uncomfortable with the statements made.

You wrote a beautiful note to Alison. I'm sorry aboutCopper. I saw the picture and I know that it doesn't takelong to get attached. A week or 10 years, you still give allof your love to them when you decide to take them on and it hurtshorribly.

Warmest Welcome to the Forum, Jim. Please don't ever hesitateto email me or Private Message me with something that you see thatbothers you.

We're glad you foundus.

-Carolyn

I second that!

I've been crying off and on this forum all day, with the losses and thevery touching poems that m.e. submitted. That animated Rainbow Bridgejust really touched me, and I totally lost it with the other one.

I've been sitting here thinking, with very fond memories, ofacat we had named Inky, who lived to be 22, and another one namedTwinkle, who died when I was still young but he and I were very close.

Ok, I am setting myself off again! Even Lestat knows something is up,for he's been sitting on my lap and he never sits on my lap while I'mon the computer.

Oh my God. That is terrible. Just awful. I'mliterally crying for poor Thumper and for you and Lucy. There are nowords, just know that you have a huge company of support here.

You should DEFINITELY talk to your neighbors, and to their landlord ifthey have one. That is so incredibly irresponsible of them! I am upsetwith them.

I'm so sorry for your loss! Don't blame yourself, this is NOT YOURFAULT!!!! Freak accidents happen, unfortunately. Thumper knows that youloved him so much and you gave him a better life. He died knowing thatyou took on that dog to save him, when that dog might easily haveturned on you.

Thank you for being such a truly great rabbit owner. Big hugs for you in this sad time.

Beth :(

Latest posts

Back