Thumper was killed today.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucy/Thumper

Reaction score
I can not believe this happened in my ownhouse. Thumper often has free rain of the house..Today I had Lucy(my dog) in her crate so Thumper was out andabout. Well, I came home from work for lunch to walkLucy. At that time my neighbors dog was runningfree. He wasn't anywhere near us though. As lucyand I were walking back into the house my neighborsdog did aB-line straight for my door. He was a huge dog. Heknocked me over and pushed Lucy out of the way. He wentstraight for Thumper. Let me back up a little. Ihave a bay window facing my front yard. Thumper often likedto sit there and look out. Well, this dog must have had hiseye on him and saw a chance and went straight for Thumper. Igrabbed him and wrestled with him for a few seconds before I could gethim to let go of Thumper.Meanwhile, Lucy watched inhorror. This dog was shaking him around like a ragdoll andThumper was screaming. After a few seconds I finally got himto let go and I threw him out the front door. Thumper ranbehind my couch. I looked at him to see if he was alive andhe was so I put Lucy in the backyard. I washisterical. I slowly moved the couch so I could get tohim. I gently picked him up. He was limp that iswhen I knew he was seriously hurt. I held him for a fewmoments and looked for blood. There wasn't any so I put himdown gently to see if he could walk. He wobbled a few feetaround the corner. I thought his back was broken or hisleg. So I grabed a banana and put it about a foot away fromhim just to see if he could walk. He didn't move. Ithen put a saltine next to the banana (his favorite) and he stilldidn't move. That is when I gently wrapped him up and tookhim to the vet. She said she thought he was just inshock. I tried to tell her he was really hurt. Shesaid that b/c there were no open wounds and with a nudge he wouldmove. She thought it was shock and gave him intravienousfluids and oxygen to stablize him. She insisted I go back towork and pick him up in a few hours. About 1 1/2 hours latershe called me. As soon as I heard who it was I knew I losthim. I went back to the vet to say goodbye and to tell him Iwas so sorry. When I rescued him from the pound I promisedhim a better life. I promised him a good life.Instead he was killed in my own house. I know that Lucy wouldaggrivate him but she never hurt him. She never had achance. In fact, when she was in her crate he would aggrivateher.this dog just shook him and he was screaming. Iwas screaming.He was he was so limp and as hard as that dogshoke him I know he had to have internal injuries.He had to of. He had to of. When he was scared hewould be tense not limp. I am heartbroken. I amdevistated. I am so sorry. I can't stop crying. Ipromised him better and I loved him so much I can't believe thishappened.

Please everyone, kiss your bunnies, hug your bunnies and give them their favorite treat for us tonight.

:shock:

Oh My God.

I'm crying too.

What a horrible experience.

I'm awake for a while, Lucy/Thumper. If you wish to click on my nameand Private Message me your number, I'll call you and we'll crytogether.

Good Lord, I'm so sorry.

I'm So Sorry.

-Carolyn

I don't even know what to say. I am so sorry. Youdid all that you could, how were you to know that the neighbors dogwould over power you? That was something you had no control over, Iknow that you did everything you could to stop that dog. Thumper had agreat life with you while he was here, I am sure you gave himeverything a bun could want and that he is waiting for you with a smileover the rainbow bridge.

I am truly so sorry that this had to happen to you and Thumper.

Adrienne

Alison, I am sitting here with goosebumps on my arms and tears in my eyes. I am so sorry thatsomething like this has happened. Why was the neighbors dogout without a leash??? You could have been physicallyhurt,you lost your Thumper and I am sure your dog wastraumatized!!! Once you get over the shock of itall, and the grief lessons,have a talk with yourneighbor. They at the very least, need to pay your vetbill!!! This is hard for me to believe. I know thatyou are a responsible pet owner. I also know that you lovedThumper. You know that you can always come to thisforum and talk to us when you need some support. ***HUGEHUGS*** I am just sosorry. Beckie

I'm so very sorry to hear of such atragedy. I can't imagine what shock you must be in now tohave gone through such a horrible experience.

You are in my thoughts,

Pam

Oh my. I can't think of anything to say thatwould ease the pain. I am sitting here in tears, I can't even imaginehow you must feel. Just remember this was not your fault in any way,shape, or form. You gave that rabbit a wonderful life, and that issomething to be proud of. I will be keeping you in my thoughts.

~Nichole

I'm so sorry. I bet Thumperis thinking of you rightnow. It wasn't your fault, thesethings happen and it will teach you to be more careful with your petsso nothing this bad will happen. I hope you'll get bettersoon.

I am so very very sorry. I can'timagine what you had to see, what you are feeling, and how sad you mustbe for your loss.

You did what you could. You take care of your animals and doright by them, but someone else being careless is why thishappened. I would definitely have a discussion about it withmy neighbor and how vicious and brazen their dog is to have come pastyou and into your house. Although it's their nature, it's notright that he was let to run loose.

Oh my gosh, I don't even know what to say....

I hope your neighbours at least apologized for what their dog did.

This is such a sad story... Thumper will be truly missed.

Lots of hugs from me and my buns.

Lucy/Thumper I am so sorry for your loss. NothingI can say will make you feel better but this wasnt your fault.Hopefully your neighbors will be more diligentof keepingtheir dog put up in future.

Lanna

I'm so sorry. How very sad for you. You cryall you want to. I can't imagine how awful that must have been.

Thumper knows how much you loved him. Healso knows you would have done anything to havechangedthings.

Raspberry

Good grief! What can one say to such ahorrific experience! I am so, so sorry. It like youwitnessed the worst possible bunny demise,all in oneday. I am speechless and can offer no words that will bringconsolation you, I am sure. The story has me in shock.

It seems so trite at this point, but link to the Rainbow Bridge athttp://www.lisaviolet.com/ecard/rainbowjavax.htmlifyou have not do so already. It is the only recoursein such a terrible circumstance.

Once again, my utmost sympathy goes out for your littleThumper. You could not have prevented that one.That is truly being blindsided. ARGGGH!

Buck

That is really really sad. I am sorry for yourloss. You did all you could do. I hope you can dosomething about the dog and or dog owners to prevent something likethat happening again to anyone else. a bunny should be safein its own house.

Cristy

I am soo sorry! But rememberThumper is with God now....even thought that DOG will never be! Thumperis probably watching down on you trying to tell you that its not yourfalt...and at least he is not in pain anymore I am so sorry for yourloss. -Susie

Thank you all so much. I really needand appreciate your support. I't is 4:38 am and I haven'tslept a minute. I am still unconsolably crying. Ihave to be at work at 7:30 am and I will probably be a mess allday. I haven't talked to the owners yet. I justcan't even do it yet. I wouldn't be able to get the wordsout. Thank you again for your support! And thank you Buck forthe rainbow bridge link.

alison

Oh Alison, I am so very sorry. What an horrificthing to happen. You promised Thumper a better life, and that is justwhat you gave him - lots of love and a good home, and he knew that. Iwill be keeping you in my thoughts, and know that we are here for you.- Jan

OMG thats so horrible! Im so sorry for yourloss. I was just telling my honey the other day about mewalking Stitch I live in a complex thats dog friendly and that is oneof my fears so I walk her where people stay away with their dogs.

There are no words that can help here you cry and cry all you want.

You mentioned when you took Thumper home from the pound you swore tohim you would give him a better life but reality is without evenrealizing it the day you took him home had already given him thatbetter life.

My heart goes out for you BIG HUGE HUGS Im so sorry.

Marie

i am so sorry

i have tears in my eyes as u no we are such a close community and care about each others rabbits

i believe very much in ANGELS

lets hope the angels are looking after him

godblessu will be in my prayersxxxxxxx

Oh-My-God. *tears* I don'teven know what to say besides I'm sorry this happened to poorThumper. :(:(:(

Latest posts

Back