Sign of aggression?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gibgahness

Reaction score
So I recently took in an unspayed female, Bugs, and everything is great. She's friendly, doesn't bite and knows where to poo. Now a couple days ago, I took in an un-neutered male, Cheech, about 8 weeks old. He's even more friendly than Bugs but I have some questions about their behaviour together. I'm slowly trying to introduce them but it is hard as I live in an apartment. I let Cheech out on his own for a bit then I let Bugs out after I put him back, just so if they want to get close there is little that can happen through bars. Today I let them both out and everything seemed fine, sniffing back and forth and some chasing. The thing that worries me is I believe I caught Bugs biting Cheech. I know somewhat that it could be dominance/territory, but I also saw her pull fur. They have not been around each other long enough to mate, always supervised. Is this just Bugs' hormones going crazy because there's a male in the house who is also a new rabbit to her? Any information is helpful :)

You should be keeping them apart until they are both spayed and neutered. Far to many pet rabbits looking for homes all ready. And since they can still mate through cage bars you really need to seperate them.

They are separated and will stay that way until we can get them both spayed/neutered. Is there any other info I should know about?

I agree, they can still breed through the bars and bunny breeding happens very quickly so you may look away for a few moments and then 1 month later you have little bunnies you didn't have the previous day. Males can be sexually mature very soon (before 3 months sometimes, even!) and your girl is definitely sexually mature. It's also a matter of their personalities will change once they are fixed and their hormones will dial down so it may break their bond if you were to get them fixed in the middle of them being bonded. So it's best to keep them 100% separate until they're fixed and about a month after (it takes about this long for hormones to settle down) you can begin working toward bonding them again.

Good luck getting them bonded in the future! :)

By the time you reach them to separate them, she can be impregnated. Bunnies move fast and I think you are playing with hormonal fire. Also, the way I understand it, bunnies do not ovulate-menstruate but are opportunistic ovulators--they ovulate in response to copulation.

At least have the boy neutered and have a surgical recovery time before you put them together. He will be capable of impregnating for ONE MONTH after the surgery. Be careful!

Best of luck and good for you, that you have rescues.

I just reread yr post--Cheech's testicles have not descended yet, if he's just two months old. But still, I wouldnt put them together when both of them are unaltered.

Latest posts

Back