Russel's getting neutered

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RusselandRoxy

Reaction score
Hello!!!!
I have finally persuaded my parents to get my rabbit neutered. I havebeen trying for a couple of months at least and they finally gave in!The deal is that i pay £30 and they pay £25!
I have been working in a vets all week and they are really good there,even though they dont get all that many rabbits! So i have decided totake him there, hopefully we will phone up and book it tomorrow if theydont change their minds again!!
I really want him done so that he can live with Roxy (his wife) andNibbles (his daughter) and eventually, i will get Flop done too so theycan all live together! Yay!!
Leanne :):apollo:

awww that gr8 news!!:D ive got 2 femals and 1male! and im trying to persaude my mum and dad to get my buns neuteredbut i just have to wait till i save up!lol:?

i cant wait till my 3 buns all live happily together!! anyways keep us updated in the coming days to see how he gets on!:D:D

Thanks!
Well, my dad actually got round to phoning them up today!!! Amazing!lol, anyway he is booked in for a neuter on Wednesday. I have to takehim in in the morning and pick him up in the evening.
I am giving him loads of running time for these few days coz i know hewont to feel up to it afterwards! And he is enjoying himself at themoment but i wonder if he will forgive me afterwards ;) I hope so :D
Now i have got them tto get him done - i need to work on the other 3 - hehehe:angel:

It's the same thing. Both are the removal of thetesticles. The term castration is more often used for livestock likecattle- at least around here, anyway.

How long do i need to keep him separate from the females afterwards?? And will he be in a lot of pain after his neuter? :D
Should i feed Russel the night before??
I'm guessing the neuter will stop him chasing the cats!! Lol! :yes:?
I sure hope so :mrsthumper:

This article says to separate the neutered bunfrom the female for 2-3 weeks afterwards. This should allow theremaining sperm to die off and his hormonal urge to breed should belessened.

You should feed him the night before. Ask your vet when you should stopfeeding him- sometimes they want them to not eat before they arebrought in for an hour or so. My vet just holds the rabbits there foran hour before doing anything else.

The neuter might not stop him from chasing cats unless he thinks theyare female rabbits. Even then he might still chase them. :D

Russel might be in a little pain, but he should be back to normalquickly. Follow your vets instructions on limiting exercise and such.

Best of luck!

naturestee wrote:
This article says to separate the neutered bun from the femalefor 2-3 weeks afterwards. This should allow the remaining sperm to dieoff and his hormonal urge to breed should be lessened.

You should feed him the night before. Ask your vet when you should stopfeeding him- sometimes they want them to not eat before they arebrought in for an hour or so. My vet just holds the rabbits there foran hour before doing anything else.

The neuter might not stop him from chasing cats unless he thinks theyare female rabbits. Even then he might still chase them. :D

Russel might be in a little pain, but he should be back to normalquickly. Follow your vets instructions on limiting exercise and such.

Best of luck!

Wow - thanks a lot- thats really helpful!! And yeh Russel does think the cats are female rabbits - Lmao!!
Leanne:)

Thanks for asking how his neuter went everyone!! :D lol
anyway, it went quite well but hes in a bit of a mood with me at the moment - in a sulk under the bed - but who can blame him!!
Quick Question - i thought the testicles would be removed completely??? Not that i would know - just wondering :):)
So, should i give him some hay to munch on or something. I hav beentold to keep him indoors tonight - anythin special i should be doing??/
Thanks so much
Leanne :D:D

YES, keep him eating and drinking...veryimportant!!! Other than that...whatever your vet recommends.Homer wasn't under any restrictions at all when he came home...and hestill has his sacks too...depends on the vet from what I've heard onthat!

My boys had the Big Snip yesterday.They are still sore this afternoon -- they are more alert(last night they were just tired zombies) and eating. If youofferhim a few pellets or pieces of parsley or favorite hayright under his nose, that will help him eat. They also likepetting with quiet whispers -- just knowing you are nearby.:angel:

ok thanks!

Last night all he wanted to do was sleep. He drank a fair bit too andate a little of his favourite leaves. Today, he is much more active andhappy - still sleeping quite a bit but has eaten lots of hay and appletoo. Not his proper food though!!

I took him outside and he wasnt as active as usual but he was runningaround a bit. I got Flop out and it was the first time he didnt mounthim - it could be because of his neuter but i know its more than likelybecause he is just sore - oh well.

I'll keep you updated on how he goes,

Leanne:)

Glad the op went well and Russel is recovering.He will probably be 'off' his normal food for a day or two, but as longas he is eating something and drinking, he's doing fine. I believe thatit can take several weeks for the remaining sperm to die off, so watchhim with the ladies ;). - Jan

LuvaBun wrote:
Glad the op went well and Russel is recovering. He will probablybe 'off' his normal food for a day or two, but as long as he is eatingsomething and drinking, he's doing fine. I believe that it can takeseveral weeks for the remaining sperm to die off, so watch him with theladies ;). - Jan

Lol - i certainly will. Roxy has been really off lately actually andbeing extremely grouchy with the other rabbits and sometimes with mewhen i pick her up! I have no idea why but i guess it will wear off :D

Latest posts

Back