Advice please, New bunny owner

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reeserdunaway

Reaction score
Hi, I rescued a bunny (double Main Lionhead ) who was eight months old and had never been socialized. He was among many bunnies and I’m not sure what the situation was, but maybe a hoarder or breeding situation only. Regardless, I’ve had almost every kind of pet, but I’ve never had a bunny. I’ve had him for almost two months. I immediately took him to my Veterinarian to be checked out and he was neutered. I was so pleasantly surprised, my wonderful Vet would handle exotic animals.
He has freedom in my bedroom and I’ve even trained him to use a litter box. However, He gets frustrated and seems aggressive. I’ve never tried to pick him up and he does come to me, but he likes to be under the bed and if I put my hand under the bed or if he is under the dresser, for example, he will bite (but not extremely hard, but enough to let me know he does not want me near him). He gets hyper and tears everything up sometimes, and I don’t know how to pay attention to him. I have even laid on the floor with him all night long and he doesn’t get close.
I’m very gentle, patient and loving . I’ve given him a lot of time so he does come to me, but then he’s really sweet or really aggressive. He was almost 8 months without being socialized at all. I would appreciate any kind of advice. I don’t know anything other than what I’ve researched online and everyone has something different to say.
I’ve purchased toys and woodblocks. I also took advice from someone online and purchased a life like bunny and he has nothing to do with it. He gets fresh organic vegetables, and I grow herbs also for him. He has Timothy Western hay daily all day long.
Thank you in advance for any advice given!

I would block off under the bed and dresser, and anywhere else he can crawl under and become territorial and avoid you. But do let him have a pen, cage, or other type of home base, that is still accessible by you when necessary, but that he can go to when he needs his space and not be bothered (but can see you and you can see him).

Trying to form a trusting relationship and bond with a rabbit, is similar to techniques used when bonding rabbits with one another. You don't want places they can just run off and hide and avoid each other. You usually need a smaller area without places to hide, so that they have to spend time getting to know each other.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-with-your-bunny.html

So once you've set up your space to be conducive to allowing your rabbit to get to know you, then it's a matter of spending time in that space with your rabbit and not forcing interaction, but allowing your rabbit to approach you on his terms. If the space isn't too large of an area and there are no places for him to go hide out, he will get curious eventually and approach you. Let him smell you, smell your hand, but don't force petting until he's ready and wants it from you.

I'd also recommend having a good understanding of rabbit behavior and communication, so you better understand your rabbits reactions and what he is trying to communicate to you.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Understanding_your_rabbit

Hi, I rescued a bunny (double Main Lionhead ) who was eight months old and had never been socialized. He was among many bunnies and I’m not sure what the situation was, but maybe a hoarder or breeding situation only. Regardless, I’ve had almost every kind of pet, but I’ve never had a bunny. I’ve had him for almost two months. I immediately took him to my Veterinarian to be checked out and he was neutered. I was so pleasantly surprised, my wonderful Vet would handle exotic animals.
He has freedom in my bedroom and I’ve even trained him to use a litter box. However, He gets frustrated and seems aggressive. I’ve never tried to pick him up and he does come to me, but he likes to be under the bed and if I put my hand under the bed or if he is under the dresser, for example, he will bite (but not extremely hard, but enough to let me know he does not want me near him). He gets hyper and tears everything up sometimes, and I don’t know how to pay attention to him. I have even laid on the floor with him all night long and he doesn’t get close.
I’m very gentle, patient and loving . I’ve given him a lot of time so he does come to me, but then he’s really sweet or really aggressive. He was almost 8 months without being socialized at all. I would appreciate any kind of advice. I don’t know anything other than what I’ve researched online and everyone has something different to say.
I’ve purchased toys and woodblocks. I also took advice from someone online and purchased a life like bunny and he has nothing to do with it. He gets fresh organic vegetables, and I grow herbs also for him. He has Timothy Western hay daily all day long.
Thank you in advance for any advice given!
How wondfully you are doing.
It can be so disappointing when you pour out your love and so desperately want to improve your buns life.

Hang in there and please keep us updated.
You've come to the right place.
Lots of loving, experienced rabbit owners on here.
Would love to see a picture!

Latest posts

Back