Royal Couple - Katie & Pepper

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so glad some more of that hair is coming out. Hold onto it, after you have enough, you can have someone spin it into yarn. My sister does spinning. She even made a sweet little memory pillow out of my dog's hair as a remembrance of her. The pillow is heart-shaped with a ruffle of knitted hair around the edge. She is very talented with that sort of stuff. Just be prepare to save Katie's hair for a long time to get enough together for what ever sort of project you might want to make with it. So many ounces of hair equal so much yarn (?).

As for the pumpkin, I usually take a tablespoon (not a measuring spoon) a little bit rounded and put it on a collard green leaf. You could probably use a leaf of romaine, but I prefer collards because they are a thicker leaf and makes the teeth grind a bit more than the softer less waxy leaves. Leaves make great plates for such things as pumpkin. :DDon't worry if Pepper doesn't like it at first. It took Patrick a few times of seeing it with his bedtime salad before he decided to even take a taste. Now, pumpkin is one of his favorites and he finishes before Luna even starts.

BTW-- collards are so big, so I usually cut the main stem out to make two "plates".

myheart

Myheart,

How often do you give it? Each night until the shedding ends? Until I run out of pumpkin from the can? Each week? ...

BSAR,

Katie is a Jersey Woolly. (sp?) I think her breed is from an Angora rabbit but with much more manageable hair. However, that hair is like 2-3 inches long and she's shedding... yikes! :biggrin2:

Thanks for all the interest in my two little babies, I will update more this weekend as the dates continue. :biggrin2::biggrin2:

Fuzzy Love

FuzzyLove wrote:
Myheart,

How often do you give it? Each night until the shedding ends? Until I run out of pumpkin from the can? Each week? ...

Only give them pumpkin once or twice a week during shedding season. Remember it is a carbohydrate, which is something their systems shouldn't have too much of. It might be high in fiber, but hay will always be the best source of fiber for them in all circumstance (if they eat it). After shedding season, you could still give pumpkin as a small treat on occasion (once a week or every other week) just to keep them interested in it.

Keep an eye on their poo's -- small poo's mean they are not getting enough fiber and the GI system is slowing down too much. That could also lead to dehydration, and ultimately GI stasis. Pumpkin will be a source of fiber and liquids, but wetting veggies down will also give them extra water if they don't seem to be drinking enough, and providing tons of hay is always a must.

Exercise is also very important to keep the GI moving. That is why I take Patch and Luna outside. Patch loves to dig and eat grass roots, and Luna gets to try to run away from Patrick when he gets too frisky from the fresh air as well as eat grass and weeds. (There must be something about camping/fresh air and guys feeling amorous...:p).

So watch input as well as output to help you decide what to do. Nice big poo's with minimal hairs in them--they are doing great. Small poo's with more hairs than usual--start seeing how their diet/exercise should change to get them normal again.

I do hope other forum members will put their extra information in also, as I might have missed something. It just becomes habit after a while, and especially after your first GI slow-down scare, to check input and output, bunny postures when looking huddled up or tummy pressed to floor, and making sure they get enough exercise to keep GI moving.

You probably thought being bunny-parents would be easy....:?:D

myheart

p.s. Forgot to add that pumpkin can be frozen. I ususally put enough in each freezer container for two feedings. Just remember to take it out of the freezer a day or two in advance of when you plan to give it to them.

This weekend dating went really great this past weekend. :biggrin2: Katie and Pepper are cuddling more and Katie has started grooming Pepper:biggrin2: They keep doing the "my head is lower than yours" game :shock: But I keep petting them and they end up just laying next to each other. Now Katie seems a lot more interested in Pepper because it was Pepper who would approach Katie about cuddling, but now its more shared. :biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

They are SOOO cute! I love my little babies so much, I want to take as many pictures as possible but Andy (Bunny Daddy) thinks the flash may not be good for their eyes. :( I'll try to take a few this week.

Fuzzy Love

Okay now....! I thought we had explained well enough that in order to be a responsible bun-slave, regular posting of pics and cute stories is a must!!!! It has been about a week since the last pics were posted, and I need to make sure my baby-girl, Princess Katie, and her handsome Prince are doing well together. Are they fully bonded now? We need pics....!!!!:D

myheart

Sorry for the lack of posts. Boy what a horrible bunny slave blogger I have become. My computer at home is on the fritz and I wont be able to upload pictures from work.

Pepper and Katie have their moments. While we were still doing bunny dates in the bathroom (until this week) things were great. They were cuddling and their interaction between each other was great. They sometimes ate together, it was toooo cute! :biggrin2:

So Mama decided to graduate the bunnies to the play room (Pepper's former alone play room) *When we first got Katie they had a mini date in their and Pepper seemed fine with sharing the space. The first night was a long date - about an hour and went wonderful! Pepper was bouncing for joy and Katie was enjoying herself playing and even groomed Pepper a little. :biggrin2: Last night (day #2) things weren't so hot. Pepper lunged at Katie twice and nipped her. We made sure to separate them and pet them both to diffuse the situation. Katie seemed fine and even was jumping around and playing and so was Pepper. Then Pepper bit Andy (my fiance) who was sitting in the room with me. The bite was HARD :shock:and he has never bit me like that. (only a slight nip) We ended the date but made sure to cuddle and pet each one. I am not sure what to think of the situation. Pepper seemed fine before and after and didn't seem overly aggressive. Overall they are doing wonderfully. I am unsure how to determine "fully bonded" bunnies but they are doing really well and I am one proud bunny Mama. :D

I am surprised that Pepper had a little biting tantrum. Has anything changed for him recently other than the dating place? Maybe TreasuredFriend or Naturestee would have suggestions on what to do to help things go more smoothly. I am glad to hear that Katie has lightened up a bit -- she always seemed sort of aloof in her little Princess ways.

I must have been spoiled with dating Patrick and Luna because they were in love at first sight. They were acting like an old married couple by the end of the first week together. Patrick doted on her and wanted to show her bunny-playland (the rest of the house) after the first day.

Yes, pictures please whenever possible. :pI misslittle Princess Katie, and Prince Pepper is so handsome!

myheart

That's awesome that Katie groomed Pepper's ears and it's happening more regularly.

Did Andy "EEek" or "Ouch" (or cuss!) as bunny-savvy as he could when Pepper bit? He can look Pepper square in the eye and sob like an actor, saying.... "you hurt me Pepper! sob, sob, you hurt me. My finger or hand is BLEEDING!"

Good to diffuse and take a time out if Pepper had a bad moment in the playroom. Always keeping things positive! Perhaps a moment of misplaced aggression to Bunnydad Andy. I hope the wound is OK.

Anymore new cardboard castles or things in the playroom?

I'd stay with supervised dates for a time longer and be sure to cuddle P&K as a "unit" or with equal affection. There will be ups and downs in the playroom as Pepper and Katie learn to accept their new bedroom space.

Another thing you could try is setting up an exercise fence with the two kids in the kitchen area while you and Andy are preparing supper. You can keep an eye on the kids while you go about routine and see how they do... being just a step away if somebun gets testy, impatient, or not ready to plunk down & be a good spouse.

Do they jump in or share that red chair still?

We have some different toys in the playroom that they seem to be enjoying. Andy plans to build some ramp/structure this weekend. Yes, they love their red bed but Katie bit a hole in it and has been pulling out the stuffing. I took it away because I don't want anyone ingesting the stuffing and am unsure what to do with it.

When Pepper bit Andy, he got verbally update and scared Katie, unintentionally. We gave her a treat and cuddled with her and then she seemed fine. WHat do you suggest if this happens again. Raise my voice? Yell.. say "No".. etc. ?? Thanks

Fuzzy Love

FuzzyLove wrote:
Yes, they love their red bed but Katie bit a hole in it and has been pulling out the stuffing.
So sorry Katie had to vent on the new red bed. But as you could see from the condition of her bed that I brought along, it was almost expected that she would attack it at some point in time. Perhaps giving them her old bed would be better, as it is no where near as nice as the red one. :D

myheart

FuzzyLove wrote:
When Pepper bit Andy, he got verbally update and scared Katie, unintentionally. We gave her a treat and cuddled with her and then she seemed fine. WHat do you suggest if this happens again. Raise my voice? Yell.. say "No".. etc. ??

Sorry I didn't offer any suggestions on this... I know the first reaction to getting bit is to yell or something of the like. If the bite is not that bad and control is maintained, I would suggest a time out to give himtime to calm down. Either cuddle him or put him in his cage to get him away from what ever stressed or frightened him. Talk soothing words to him to help him calm because they sense our emotions better than we think. Don't forget, your emotions and what you are feeling at the time could also be a trigger for their stress or aggression.

TreasuredFriend is so good a calming bunners down with her touch and trancing, I wish we all had her skills :D. Maybe she will chime in and offer other suggestions.

myheart

Actually, it's best to yell when you get bitten. Bunnies often nip each other a little while grooming, so we need to let them know that it's not ok to bite us. So yelp a little right when they bite you. You can forgive them and comfort them after, once they know they're not supposed to bite you.

Thanks for the advice!!

I decided I will continue to do bunny dates in the play room because overall things have been positive and they need to learn thats their room now. Bunny date last night was really good, great bunny interactions - and we kept the date short. They are doing really well overall, and I am so happy!!

Fuzzy love

Tonyshuman - how do you get those cute bunny icons??

Friends who adopted from us found this bonding tip to help their engaged couple: Instead of being in the same area an arm's length away to thwart an outburst, give the kids more one-on-one time without mom and dad protector in the same small space. Rattle the kitchen pans, slice tomatoes, go about evening routines with a watchful eye on the newlyweds. Bonding is so unique to each couple! The 6-8 feet supervision distance -and ready to vault over an exercise fence- helped their two accept each other sooner. Caution: May not always be the case when somebun's having a bad day. Just thought I'd mention it.

Will be great to see snuggly pics when time allows. t/c. :)

Pet those lucky youngsters.

p.s. Unbelievable how well Patrick and Luna flirted 'n' bonded at Naturestee's house when myheart came over. Cheers to all,

Such a successful weekend!! Not sure what "fully bonded" couples act like, but I think we are very close! :biggrin2: Something must have happened between them because they seem to have worked things out. They were playing with each other and cuddling - it was the cutest!! I brought my camera out to FINALLY take some pictures and the battery was dead!! :grumpy: I will try again soon now that things are all charged up! :p

Fuzzy Love

Arrrrrg!!!! I hate when the bunners are doing some thing soooo cute and I don't have the camera handy!!!!:(

I can't wait to see cuddly/snuggly pics!!!! The moment I have been waiting for!!!!:biggrin2:

myheart

Latest posts

Back