RaspberrySwirl's Home Thread

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a newtemporary visitor. "Shelly" (so named because she has a shell) a largepainted turtle that Sebastian's Little Girl's brothers rescued as sheattempted to cross the highway during a thunderstorm. She will juststay with us for a day or two (though SLG thinks she should be aforever pet) as I've always liked to take these kinds of opportunitiesto teach my children first hand about animals. I truly believe whenthey get to spend a few days with an animal learning about it's needs,character of the species, and form a slight bond, then as they grow upit helps them appreciate the world around them. It seems to have workedfairly well with my other four kids.

Anyway, I wanted to post photos of SLGand Shelly this morning but it seems that SLG and Sebastian can't shakea bad case of the sleepies....

sleepy01.jpg

Soooo.... When these two decide to getmotivated then we will go shoot some photos and put them on. Maybe wewill do some tortoise and the hare stuff! :p

Raspberry

A few weeks ago I saw a turtle at the side ofthe house next door. I got the camera to take some picturesof it. As I got close I notice a couple flies on itsshell. There was a big hole in the shell and the flies hadlarva in it. I guess when they were cutting trees down onegot him. I took him and took the hose and ran water in thehole to try to get the critters out. I wasn't making muchprogress. So I called the vet and they said to bring him upand release it to them. When I took Mr Z to get his nails cutI asked about the turtle. She said she had taken the brokenpiece off and had cleaned the critters out and was going to reattachthe shell when it healed. I took Bunny to the vet tonight andI asked about the turtle. She said he is well and they arereleasing it tonight.

Ed

:clap:That's awesome! A lot of people wouldn't have taken the time or effortto do something like that. You did a good thing, andso didyour vet. That's really incredible that they can repair a shell likethat!

Weset "Shelly" free last night.SLG was a bit sad about it, but it was time. I did take photosyesterday and will try to post them later. SLG was fairly animatedthrough the whole thing. It was a big turtle and she struggled with ita bit!

Raspberry

Hey Rasp,

I'm not sure what you deiced about the Boathouse Party, butIhad a shipping incident tonight that I wanted to let you know about. Ihad 4 birds shipped from FL to VA and they had a stop in Charlotte.Somehow the birds got to Charlotte, but didn't leave and they had noway of tracking them. After a ton of phone calls they finally trackedthem down and got them on the move again and finally have them homesafe and sound. The lady I bought them from normally ships Delta, butshe was having trouble getting a good flight this week, so she wentwith US Airways instead. The problem was that some of the airlines scaneach peice of baggage as it's being moved around so they always knowwhere it is, but US Airways apparently does not, so it was really scarythere for awhile. When I got a hold of the breeder she said the onlyother time she's had a problem shipping is a year ago and that was withUS Airways as well, but she didn't think anything like that couldhappen twice in a row. Anyway, I know you said you wantedhimin the cabin withyou,I just wanted tolet you know about US Airways just in case.

Take care,

Megan

Oh, I can't believe poor Sebastian can't fly with you. That's just nuts!

SLG: I'm amazed at how Sebastian sleeps with you. He's such a sweet bunny.

Jen

sleepy01.jpg

Now that is Angelic! :angel:

My two punkins!!! :hug:

-Carolyn

Meganc731 wrote:
I know you said you wanted himin the cabinwithyou,I just wanted to let you know about USAirways just in case.
I'm flying US Airways and they won't allow rabbits in thecabin. They allow cats and dogs, but no rabbits.That's absurd because dogs and cats make lots of noise, but rabbits arenice and quiet. I don't get it.

Laura

Thanks Megan. I hate to mumble/type these words....but....we are driving!

It's going to take a couple days for us,but it would have taken another 500.00 to get Sebastian there by thetime you included the increased airfare for the humans and the chargehim. We were looking at approaching 1500.00 for travel and then wouldhave to rent a car when we got there.

I hate the idea of driving it because Myhusband only has this one week off of work all year, butwehave decided to make it fun. There will be benefits also. Sebbie knowshis own car and SLG willbe able to have all her own stufftoo. They will be buddied up in the back seat together!:angel:

Raspberry

Okay, I finallygot the photo of SLG and Shelly uploaded. SLG had her hands full andhad quite the expression on her face! Look closely and how long theclaws on those feet are. Every time the turtle reached its feet back itwould get her hands! :shock:I didn't realize what exactly washappening until I went to pick the turtle up. OUCH!!!

shelly.jpg

What a Doll. She looks adorable and thelook on her face is priceless. She just loves every animal she can gether hands on. What an awesome way to raise her. Kudos to you andSLG.

Tina

hehe that it such a great picture! It is soooimportant to have good values about animals included in aperson....growing up with my dad, we had tons of animals in the houseat any one time..raccoons, squirrels, turtles, dogs, cats, snakeseverythinggggg..animals love my dad they just come to him its kindawierd actually lol ....his lastest efforts are rescuing potbellypigs...ppl take them in think theyre cute while they are small andbabies and discard them when they find out how big they actually get..the latest he took in was hannah she is two and barely weighed40lbs..the poor thing was barely a skeleton...she is up to a lil over100 now and is half the size of tara who is three andtops200lbs easy..poor things growth was severly stunted frombeing starved :(

That's great Raspberry, driving really is notall that bad. I love going on road trips with my husband because wejust talk the whole way and it beats the stress of flying.Wedrive almost everywhere,this summer we're driving to MI visitmyGrandma, and then down to NM and then back toVA.Do you have, orcould you borrow,a DVDor VHS player for the car? It really makes the time go by much fasterfor the "kids". I'm so used to driving that I had trouble packing whenI flew to Oregon in April. I realized about 2 hours into my flight thatall of Bailee's pull-ups were in her suitcase, I didn't even think tograb one for my purse!!! Luckily she did very well and didn't need it,but it got me sweating!!! LOL

My tip for driving is to only packone or twosnacksand a few drinks, my mom always loads up this huge bag of food, ittakes up so much room and it's messy and you end up eating non stop soyou feel horrible. When my husband and I go, we grab just a few drinksand one snack and then we stop along the way and buy snacks and drinks.We end up eating less and being less bored. Oh one more, keep gum inthe car, you're less likely to get drowsy when you're chewingsomething, especially mint.

Have fun and brush up on your road trip songs!!

Megan

WOO!!! HOO!!! I DID IT!!!I DID IT!!!

bella_animated.gif

I passed my Kansas Real Estate Commission Test today! :)

The new job that I started several weeksago, I manage a web site for a major Real Estate company, involves realestate transactions. I've been doing the job at about 80% capacityuntil after I couldtake thecourseandexam.

Initially I wasn't overly concernedbecause I was licensed and sold Real Estate a number of yearsago. However, once I began the course, I quickly discovered that mybout with West Nile and the encephalitis that stemmed from it, hadcaused more long term problems with my memory and concentration abilitythan I had realized.

It was very, very difficult for me to sitin class from 8-5 every day and absorb all the information and stayfocused and able to concentrate. My short term memory has been effectedalso, I need to read things several times sometimes. Therejust wasn't time for that with the fast paced environment of thisclass. I really felt like I was falling behind further and furtherevery day.

A lot of the laws and such had changedsince I had taken the exam last. I had to know procedures and lawscovering mortgages, appraisals, titles and deeds, blah, blah,blah...:shock:

I'm so glad this week isover!

Raspberry

[align=center]Congratulations!!![/align]
[align=center]:):D:groupparty::ele::bunnydance::colors::highfive::sunshine::hug::clap::yes:[/align]
[align=center]GREAT JOB, RASPBERRYSWIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/align]
[align=center]Ally[/align]

Latest posts

Back