Rare Rabbit Breeds

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pamnock wrote:
Jenniblu wrote:
Thanks. I was looking into some of the rare rabbitbreeds and was just taken away with the Silvers. They look sograceful and their fur is beautiful.Thank you forexplaining the difference between the breeds. I was thinkingabout becoming a breeder in the next few years and wanted to try with ararer breed.

What made you get a Silver may I ask? Was it the coat? I bet they are something in person.

BTW, your Silver buck is quite handsome.

Actually, my daughter has a habit of purchasing rabbits that catch her eye at shows LOL

There are a few breeders in Ohio that have the Silvers, so it would bevery feasible for you to get some stock to start out with.

I'll try to get a better photo of my Silver -- that photoisterrible anddoesn't do his coat justice nor does it show offthe silvering in the coat.

Pam
Sounds like me! If I had a barn or outbuilding, then I wouldlike some Belgian Hares, but they are quite a bit larger, and as abreeder I would want to have the room toalways take back anyrabbitsthat are returned. Also I've heard a fewpeople mention that they can be high-strung. Are the Silverslaid back? Please say they are.

The personality of the Silvers really seems todepend on the individuals. Mine is an absolute doll and thespeicmens I judged last fall were also very docile. The veryfirst ones I judged (there were quite a few), were very high strung.

The Silvers are actually a compact body type -- many people mistakethem for an arch or semi-arch type as many of them have too much lengthover the shoulders, giving them a long, racy appearance.

I also really like the Hares. I'd like to get a red one soon-- they are stunning -- but not accepted to show in the US.

Pam

In our area, they probably run around$25-$35. My daughter bought ours for $15from ajudge who is a friend of ours. (He no longer breeds Silvers)

Pam

I know the top belgian breeder in the area. his name is john. ;)

Not listed on your list but I raise standard chinchillas. Also a rare breed.

My first rabbit was a chinchilla namedNick. He was surly and hated the dog and our mom and wouldchase them, but my brother and I loved him. He was so full ofpersonality. Someone turned him loose on our street when hewas young and we kept him until he died 4yrs later.

I know yours have to be nicer than Nick, but I bet they are just as spunky. :)

Buck Jones wrote:
I'll second Pam's recommendation regarding Mr. Whitman'sbook. I have a copy and anyone interested in breed history around theworldshould have a copy of their own. He isintstrumental in creating ARBA's resource library of rabbit books, someof which go back into the 18th and 19th century and are valued athundreds upon hundreds of dollars each. He just oversawARBA's purchase of one of the world's largest rabbit oriented bookcollections from England andwill incorporate them into thelibrary as well.

His book has some wonderful color plates of some of thoserare and exotic breeds one may only read about occasionally, it is wellwritten without being overly technical and is well worth the price offorty dollars or so. A percentage of the purchase price isdedicated to ARBA, so you know this fellow isn't just profit motivated.

Mr. Whitman also has an historical column in each issue of DomesticRabbits, the bi-monthly official ARBA publication. I am amember of ARBA in spite of the fact that I neither show, norbreed. I just support the organization because itis open to all rabbit fanciers of any kind and does not seem to havethe distinct political agendas that some of the other pet orientedorganizations seem to manifest.

If people like our own Mrs. Pamela Nock, Mr Whitman mentioned above,anda fellow I am familiar with by the name of Mr. Rick Stahl,see fit to add their names to ARBA's masthead, and lend their ownexpertise, time and effortto the organization, it must bedoing something right. These three people are top notchrabbit people, of this I have no doubt! I choose to put mymoney where my mouth is and support ARBA for its good works.

Buck

Latest posts

Back