Rare Rabbit Breeds

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angoralover

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just wanna ask everyone on the forum if they have ever owned,judged or met a rare rabbit breed. Here is the list of the rare rabbitbreeds I am asking about:

THRIANTA

PERLFEE

HULSTLANDER

HARLEQUIN DUTCH

Enderby Island Rabbits

DEILENAAR

BELGIAN HARE

BEIGE rabbits

If anybody has owned one of these rare rabbit breeds, I wouldlove to hear your experience with these rabbits and maybe picturesperhaps:)I love rare rabbit breeds, and I wanna learn as muchas possible about these type of rabbits. And if anybody knows of anyother rare rabbits breeds, please let me know about them.

Cassandra

I've handled a number of Belgian Hares(registered 7 of them a couple weeks ago). The only otherbreed listed that is seen much on the US show tables is the Thrianta(not accepted yet). The other breeds you listed are also notaccepted in the ARBA standard, however there are some in the US.

Bob Whitman of Texas is an expert of rare breeds and has probably ownedall those that you listed. His book is most excellent andshould be on your Christmas wish list if you are interested in rarebreeds and their histories. You'll find many photos and info on Bob'swebsitehttp://www.rarebitsandpieces.com/

Pam

i hadn't thought of that, maybe my Ginger bunnycame out of a breeding for harliquin buns, i see some results that haveher coloring.

I'll second Pam's recommendation regarding Mr.Whitman's book. I have a copy and anyone interested in breed historyaround the worldshould have a copy of their own. Heis intstrumental in creating ARBA's resource library of rabbit books,some of which go back into the 18th and 19th century and are valued athundreds upon hundreds of dollars each. He just oversawARBA's purchase of one of the world's largest rabbit oriented bookcollections from England andwill incorporate them into thelibrary as well.

His book has some wonderful color plates of some of thoserare and exotic breeds one may only read about occasionally, it is wellwritten without being overly technical and is well worth the price offorty dollars or so. A percentage of the purchase price isdedicated to ARBA, so you know this fellow isn't just profit motivated.

Mr. Whitman also has an historical column in each issue of DomesticRabbits, the bi-monthly official ARBA publication. I am amember of ARBA in spite of the fact that I neither show, norbreed. I just support the organization because itis open to all rabbit fanciers of any kind and does not seem to havethe distinct political agendas that some of the other pet orientedorganizations seem to manifest.

If people like our own Mrs. Pamela Nock, Mr Whitman mentioned above,anda fellow I am familiar with by the name of Mr. Rick Stahl,see fit to add their names to ARBA's masthead, and lend their ownexpertise, time and effortto the organization, it must bedoing something right. These three people are top notchrabbit people, of this I have no doubt! I choose to put mymoney where my mouth is and support ARBA for its good works.

Buck

I have english lops. They are kind of rare. Anyway I had a darn hard time trying to get some to start a herd andIhad the first litter of english lops born inIowathat is known of,and I am still the only one in Iowa whobreeds them. Their numbers got realy realy low a while a go and theywere realy worried about the breed but now the numbers have gotten upin numbers now and there are a few more breeders. I think that part ofthe reason is because the areas that you can have them are limitedbecause they cant take the cold very well and alot of breeders like tohave their outside or in unheated buildings wich you cant realy do withthe english lops at least in our area because of the very cold winters.Alot of people are also worried about their ears as well although I amfinding that with the right setup the ears arnt much work at all. Theyare expensive though because it is hard to get good ones. It cost meabout 600 dallors to get my first pair, or at least a pair that was anygood. It also took me two years to find them and a six hour drive oneway. I have alot of friends that has thriantas, and one that has acouple lines of harliquin dutch that they are working on. I also hadthe previlage to be bitten by a belgian hair! It was the only one Iever met, but I have seen it at shows a couple of times since. LOL. Iheard that they can be tempermental but having met only that one I cantsay for sure.

angoralover wrote:
And if anybody knows of any other rarerabbits breeds, please let me know about them.

Palominos are also fairly uncommon, which I find amazing since they aremy all-time favorite breed. They are a joy to raise, and such anunusual coloring!

Rose

Actually i saw several harlequin dutch for saleat the Dutch specialty show i went to in pa and some were for sale atshockngly low prices.I didnt know they were rare.bluebird

We have Dwarf Hotots, which are rather uncommon,a Silver Fox and aSilver. I do a lot of judging inOhio, which is a "hotbed" for the rarer breeds, so it gives me a goodoppotunity to handle them and talk to the breeders.

Pam

Thanks for all the infoeveryone:)It really helped a lot. I'll make sure I have BobWhitman's book on my wish list, it seems like it has lots of excellentinfo.

Showrabbits- English Lops are beautiful rabbits. And Idefinetely don't see them a lot...wow, a six hour drive..you must havegone through soo much work to get a english lop. I'm sure itssertaintly worth it after though:)I'm sorry you got bitten bya beligian hare:shock:They must be very tempermental rabbits.My grandpa is belgium..and he can be quite tempermentalsometimes...heheh...I'm not comparing him with therabbit:D:p:cool:LOL

Rabbit Girl- Palominos have such a unique colouring don'tthey!:DMy little brother calls them pumpkin rabbits:pLOLThere orangy coloured fur is beautiful:)

Bluebird- I can't believe you saw Harlaquin Dutch forsale:shock:I wish I was there...cause I would go buy a pairas soon as possible. Whoever that bought one of those rabbits anddidn't know that there rare, must be pretty happy to have one.:)

Cassandra

2 years ago a breeder in my area hadseveral harliquin dutch at a specialty show it was for dutch andnetherlands only, but i have seen them. I fnd the coloring facinating..but then I luv the little dutchies anyways LOL

Just a smidgen O/T here, but in regards to thePalomino breed-these are the Elf, Bub, Jezebel flavours are they not? Ido believe I am off to go look that up-s'cuz me :p

Cher

rabbitgirl wrote:
Palominos are also fairly uncommon, which I find amazing since they are my all-time favorite breed.

Rose-

I was in Blue Seal the other day, getting some more Oxbow, and happenedto strike up a conversation with one of the girls that worked their aswe both were looking at the rabbits (they had two Harlequin Rex babies- too cute!). Anyway, she mentioned that she used to breedPalominos! Along with Lionheads, mini-Rex's, and Dutch. Cool,huh?

Jenniblu wrote:
pamnock wrote:
Here's a sitewith some nice photos of the Enderby.

http://www.rarebreeds.co.nz/naturespace.html
Pam, I have two questions: 1) What is the difference betweenan Enderby and a silver? They look similar to me.and 2) Do you have any information of the silver rabbit? Icannotfind any online information about them.
The Enderby's coatactually moresimilar to theSilver Fox (open and soft) and very unlike that of the Silver (fast andsleek snappy flyback coat). The Enderby is slightly smallerthan the Silver.

There is very limited info available on the Silver rabbit due to theirrarity. I did read their guidebook years ago (which I believewas from the UK), I don't own a copy of the book myselfthough. I doown one brown Silver buck, and havejudged Silvers a few times, so I can give you some information on themif you have specific questions. The Silver coat is absolutelystunning and is a very important feature of thebreed.

Pam

Thanks. I was looking into some of therare rabbit breeds and was just taken away with the Silvers.They look so graceful and their fur isbeautiful.Thank you for explaining the differencebetween the breeds. I was thinking about becoming a breederin the next few years and wanted to try with a rarer breed.

What made you get a Silver may I ask? Was it the coat? I bet they are something in person.

BTW, your Silver buck is quite handsome.

Jenniblu wrote:
Thanks. I was looking into some of the rare rabbitbreeds and was just taken away with the Silvers. They look sograceful and their fur is beautiful.Thank you forexplaining the difference between the breeds. I was thinkingabout becoming a breeder in the next few years and wanted to try with ararer breed.

What made you get a Silver may I ask? Was it the coat? I bet they are something in person.

BTW, your Silver buck is quite handsome.

Actually, my daughter has a habit of purchasing rabbits that catch her eye at shows LOL

There are a few breeders in Ohio that have the Silvers, so it would bevery feasible for you to get some stock to start out with.

I'll try to get a better photo of my Silver -- that photoisterrible anddoesn't do his coat justice nor does it show offthe silvering in the coat.

Pam

Latest posts

Back